Does ANYONE like RNG gearing?

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 12 Next
09/07/2018 06:46 AMPosted by Mogdin
Have to agree removing justice/valor points was super lame. It gave people a chance to get some loot if they got unlucky and did not get any drops in dungeons or raids that week. Was a really good system of progression imo.

I also do not understand why Blizzard stopped having dungeons give rep, or farming of rep/token items in the open world. Used to be a certain rep was tied to a dungeon and then it changed and you could champion a faction and get rep from any dungeon for said faction. Or you could go to an some areas of the world and farm rep from mobs by getting tokens to trade in.

Those were small brilliant systems that allow people to make progress at THEIR own pace while running group content or solo.

There are stuff that exist like that now. The Sanguicil and Hydrocores are the same idea. BiS is and will always be from actual raid drops
09/07/2018 06:46 AMPosted by Mogdin
Have to agree removing justice/valor points was super lame. It gave people a chance to get some loot if they got unlucky and did not get any drops in dungeons or raids that week. Was a really good system of progression imo.

I also do not understand why Blizzard stopped having dungeons give rep, or farming of rep/token items in the open world. Used to be a certain rep was tied to a dungeon and then it changed and you could champion a faction and get rep from any dungeon for said faction. Or you could go to an some areas of the world and farm rep from mobs by getting tokens to trade in.

Those were small brilliant systems that allow people to make progress at THEIR own pace while running group content or solo.

Those systems enabled people to do one thing in the game and get everything they need. And that would have been fine, except they just did that and then complained they were bored, or they wanted more dungeons, or just quit.
It's weird but, back in Legion, I was logging in every day to try to get a Legendary item, I played for over a month everyday for lots of hours, trying to do all dungeons and WQs for the cache, but nothing. I was motivated. Then, one day, having given up on ever getting a Legendary, boom, there it was, after opening a cache box I finally got my legendary item, and it was not any Legendary, it was the BIS at the time. I immediately, like, that instant, lost the motivation to continue playing the game and quit Legion a week or two later. !@#$ing weird.

They don't want us getting BIS quickly or we lose all motivation from playing their carrot on a stick game.
This game has been RNG since day one.

Running BRD or MC repeatedly for the chance at one piece of loot for a year is no different than it is today.

Except today you get bonus rolls.
09/07/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Salhezar
This game has been RNG since day one.

Running BRD or MC repeatedly for the chance at one piece of loot for a year is no different than it is today.

Except today you get bonus rolls.

Also in Vanilla, you could beat freaking Kel'Thuzad in the hardest raid of all time and get 2 drops for all of your 40 people that helped beat it. 2 pieces for entire 40 man raid.
...Yes?

I enjoy it to a degree.
Killing a dragon and the not knowing of exactly what loot is waiting for you is exciting.

But when it comes to repetition and you kill the same dragon 20 times and still don't see the item you were seeking.... it is no longer fun.

I like RNG when it adds a dose of unpredictability.
Not when it acts completely erratic.
09/07/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Shackleton
Oh look, another whinging idiot that is new to WoW.

Welcome to WoW, where if you play the game you get random loot, same as ever.

Also if you play alliance rogue you get special attention from my axe, so look forward to that too.

Cry more.

Seek anger therapy.
Blizzard does.

Lucky people do.

Everyone else probably not.
Your answer lies in the fact they wanted to trick us into thinking we wanted personal loot but we dont. The longer it takes guilds to gear the longer they can hold off on new content. The longer you have to stay invested. Its all money to them.

Well the equivalent of that in BFA is the Island Expedition thing
09/07/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Vallynar
Your answer lies in the fact they wanted to trick us into thinking we wanted personal loot but we dont. The longer it takes guilds to gear the longer they can hold off on new content. The longer you have to stay invested. Its all money to them.

Personal Loot was implemented not to slow down guilds, but because people didnt want to "get screwed" by other people dictating their drops. It was a terrible decision based on a very small vocal minority. Personal loot for raid is stupid, but complaining about rng loot literally makes no sense. The entire game has and always will be rng based loot.
09/07/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Vallynar

Personal Loot was implemented not to slow down guilds, but because people didnt want to "get screwed" by other people dictating their drops. It was a terrible decision based on a very small vocal minority. Personal loot for raid is stupid, but complaining about rng loot literally makes no sense. The entire game has and always will be rng based loot.

The major problem with people that don't like this game is thier perspective. People play for the loot any nothing more. It really makes no sense.

I enjoy the game and I play for the challenge. I love Mythic+, and I get a lot out of being in a good group and beating a very hard dungeon run. And at the end I get loot. That loot represents that you grinded and accomplished something. It has always been like this. Based on probability, you will eventually get that good drop. Beating a hard dungeon once isnt a feat. No one cares it you happened to get carried, or maybe you just got luckily into a good group. By continusouly beating high end keystones or beating the heroic or mythic raids multiple times proves to other people that you're a good player. And in turn you get that loot.

People that want loot right now are the same people that play competitive games like LoL and think that placement matches in ranked are super importnat and start new accounts so they get placed into a higher rank. They dont understand probability, and dont understand how grinding works.
Every game like this needs some RNG. However, that being said we now have too much. We need some things we can target to work for, not just do whatever over and over and over ad nauseam till we get "lucky" and the one thing we need maybe finally drops. Maybe.
Guys, guys, look how pretty my transmog is
Does this guy even play MMORPGs? I mean random loot drops are the bread and butter of MMORPGs.
09/07/2018 12:35 AMPosted by Ármstrong

Cry more.

Have been in WoW since 2005 noob, the RNG was never, ever this bad. Moreover, there were many ways to gear that were certain, outside of random chance.

So, why did you buy that account? Because anyone who TRULY played since 2005 would know that back then it was FAR harder to gear up, what with bosses dropping 2-3 pieces for 40 man raids and all.

The only things I don't like about the new system is sockets and war/titanforging. Getting gear is reasonable but that RNG is pretty stupid.
09/07/2018 12:33 AMPosted by Shackleton

Also if you play alliance rogue you get special attention from my axe, so look forward to that too.

Cry more.
until WOTLK we had badges to buy gear
If they're gonna RNG, it should be roguelike RNG.
I actually like the RNG but I'm also the sort who enjoys surprises a ridiculous amount.

My only issue when it comes to gear is that often I find an item is an ilvl upgrade but downgrade when you look at the stats.
For me, it depends on the game.

For games like Diablo, RNG loot is what I expect. The game is built around it, and has many ways of compensating for poor drop luck without actually giving the item.

For games like World of Warcraft, RNG loot is also what I expect. The game is built around it, and has historically had ways of compensating for poor RNG. Not the case in BFA, which is what is really upsetting people the most.

If we get bad luck for weeks on end in a raid, getting the same items or gear for the same slot for example, there's nothing that can be done about it. Crafted gear is 25 ilvls below heroic dungeon gear, PvP gear is also locked behind a random roulette and is 15 ilvls below heroic dungeon gear (at least until a Warfront actually happens) and rep gear doesn't cover enough slots.

Jewelry, trinkets, weapons... bad luck? Tough luck. Get five pairs of pants? Pick your favorite and stop crying, at least you got something.

Anyway, if this loot system is going to carry over into the next expansion as well then I'm not going to bother playing it until the final patch.