Gaslowe's loyalty

Story Forum
For the majority of WoW's history Gaslowe has been neutral, if slightly in favor of the Horde. Even in WoD while he helped the Horde, he did so against the Iron Horde and never laid a finger on Alliance.

BfA changes that and how he actively attacks the Alliance. So why the sudden about face and does this mean lorewise Ratchet is no longer neutral?

The meta reason is obviously because he is one of the most famous goblins around and as a HoTS character, they wanted him doing stuff ingame in WoW.
It's the usual Steamwheedle way. They profit from both sides, and are effectively mercenaries in any conflict. Whoever has the most gold can buy their services.
The thing is him attacking the Alliance means the Alliance has little reason to spend their coin on Gaslowe/on his neutral harbor.
Zerde, you do realize he had his city blockaded by the alliance and then had the horde assassinate several admirals and naval officers from theramore?

Steamwheedle may be neutral but Gazlowe sure isn't.
Zerde, you do realize he had his city blockaded by the alliance and then had the horde assassinate several admirals and naval officers from theramore?

The difference is he has never been this...overt:

Hah! Beautiful work, <name>. Those Alliance cretins will never trace this back to me. Meanwhile, it's back to business as usual: smuggling, double-dealing, price-gouging... I've got a lot of work to catch up on.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Flight_to_Theramore

Listen, I got no special love for the Alliance... but then again, I got no real hate for you guys either.

Your gold is as good as anyone else's. Sometimes better.

Also from the questing the Alliance didnt block his city, they were blocking Horde ships.
09/09/2018 02:00 PMPosted by Zerde

The difference is he has never been this...overt:

Hah! Beautiful work, <name>. Those Alliance cretins will never trace this back to me. Meanwhile, it's back to business as usual: smuggling, double-dealing, price-gouging... I've got a lot of work to catch up on.

As I recall he even commented once about how Alliance gold is just as good as Horde gold, sometimes better. Also from the questing the Alliance didnt block his city, they were blocking Horde ships.

Who where his biggest trade partner...

His city is right next to Orgimmar and nowhere near any alliance city, him remaining neutral is just a byproduct of him being Steamwheedle. If the horde paid him enough he would happily work for them.
09/09/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Reallyhappy
If the horde paid him enough he would happily work for them.

Oh I am sure any goblin would switch sides if someone paid them enough. Still my point is he risks turning his town into a true target for the Alliance to attack. At the very least he also risks getting any business from the Alliance. Neutrality for the goblins is a means to getting profit.

And as I mentioned in that quote he doesnt have a particular hatred of the Alliance. The island expedition seems contrary to that notion.
Horde needed faces.

Previously neutral-leaning characters are factionalized.

Simple as that.
He's working for the Horde for the same reason Lilian Voss and Garona are: The Horde keeps killing it's characters off every time they go evil, so they need to bring in neutrals to fill in the gap.
09/09/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Zerde
09/09/2018 02:02 PMPosted by Reallyhappy
If the horde paid him enough he would happily work for them.

Oh I am sure any goblin would switch sides if someone paid them enough. Still my point is he risks turning his town into a true target for the Alliance to attack. At the very least he also risks getting any business from the Alliance. Neutrality for the goblins is a means to getting profit.

And as I mentioned in that quote he doesnt have a particular hatred of the Alliance. The island expedition seems contrary to that notion.

From where?

Ratchet is right in the middle of horde territory, and the alliance has almost no presence on kalimdor.

Plus if they attack Ratchet, they will make the steamwheedle go full horde.
Good, he should’ve been Horde anyways. He literally built their capital city and has provided them with weapons, gadgets, as well as their main mode of transportation for years. I just don’t know why it took them over 8 years to make it official.
09/09/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Mythlos
Horde needed faces.

Simple as that.

Instead of using characters that are already Horde-aligned, like Boss Mida.
Honestly idk why blizz are faffing about with him. Just make him full Horde and get it over with.
09/09/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Pyrogar
Good, he should’ve been Horde anyways. He literally built their capital city and has provided them with weapons, gadgets, as well as their main mode of transportation for years. I just don’t know why it took them over 8 years to make it official.

He was our Garrison architect/engineer too. He's always been a friend of the Horde, he's just better friends with money, and that's fine honestly. He hasn't !@#$ed us yet and it's been almost a decade now. Pretty solid gobo if you ask me.
09/09/2018 04:27 PMPosted by Murdra
09/09/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Mythlos
Horde needed faces.

Simple as that.

Instead of using characters that are already Horde-aligned, like Boss Mida.

Who?
09/09/2018 04:47 PMPosted by Anelaan
Who?

The throwaway NPC that Blizzard threw in as a bone to a bunch of folks on the forums who wanted the leader of the Bilgewater Cartel to be an Invader Zim reference instead of Gallywix.

A better option would be bringing in an actual character like Sassy Hardwrench.
Who?
09/09/2018 05:26 PMPosted by Pyrogar
Who?

The main quest giver in the goblin starting zone, she kinda was in charge of the survivors. I'm pretty sure everyone thought she was gonna be the goblin racial leader before thrall kept gallywix as it.
I think this thread is a solid example of someone's very well developed headcanon having difficulty adjusting to new information. Let me show you what I mean via a list of things about Gazlowe that we don't really know.

1. When Gazlowe told the Alliance PC that he didn't have any particularly negative feelings about the Alliance, we don't know if he was telling the truth, lying or if the Alliance questing was just inaccurate to the narrative.

2. We don't know how Gazlowe's opinions regarding the Alliance may have changed over the past several expansions.

3. We don't know what Gazlowe was up to during the 2nd War.

4. We don't know exactly how much business he has an opportunity to do with the Alliance, exactly how much business he has an opportunity to do with the Horde, or what kind of long term contracts or concessions have been negotiated.

Now, there are numerous possible answers for each of these questions but when we do get concrete information relevant to those questions, we should assume the answers to those questions are consistent with what we know. Rather than just criticize the story for being inconsistent with the headcanon that we've constructed.
09/09/2018 02:13 PMPosted by Reallyhappy
09/09/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Zerde

From where?

Ratchet is right in the middle of horde territory, and the alliance has almost no presence on kalimdor.

Plus if they attack Ratchet, they will make the steamwheedle go full horde.

Gazlowe is part of the larger Steamwheedle. If he did something outright to draw that much ire from the Alliance, I'd imagine the cartel would step in at that point to reinforce their neutrality. Playing both sides has its risks and once in a while you have to cut a loss. In short the Horde and Alliance are two of their biggest customers. With the Bilgewater being in the Horde I really doubt they'd be reable to recoup that kind of lost business.