Elemental in 8.1

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 2 3 4 34 Next
09/18/2018 05:27 AMPosted by Thunderaan
Make fire elemental a permanent pet, and allow lightning bolt to be cast while moving again.
I mean this sincerely: what is it that ele has over a hunter if you are asking for this? If mobility and a permanent pet are what you are looking for, hunter already has that.
09/18/2018 06:50 AMPosted by Omajarn
Make fire elemental a permanent pet, and allow lightning bolt to be cast while moving again.

I mean this sincerely: what is it that ele has over a hunter if you are asking for this? If mobility and a permanent pet are what you are looking for, hunter already has that.
people want elemental powers and to have an elemental minion? It's also in lore.

And just because a class has a feature another class wants doesn't mean it's kind to recommend another class, obviously hunter doesnt have the same appeal of a shaman.

All problems solved.

Sorry, but I could not disagree more. If I wanted to play a pet class I would have played a hunter. The worst thing that can happen to the Shaman is to become dependent on the pet. Also you would be ruined in PvP, you would become the weakest class in the game.
I'll agree that I dislike the concept of the elemental summons.

I've never felt like those abilities fit the niche that the Shaman class was designed to fill.

Initially, the greatest benefit we brought to groups were group-wide temporary buffs in the form of totems.

I think Earth Elemental should be replaced with Stoneshield totem, and should be offered baseline to all specs.

I think Fire Elemental should be relocated to the talent tree, and offered along-side other traits that could potentially be competitive.

For instance, you could bring back Searing totem. This would be an ability with no cooldown, it might have a small associated mana cost -- this totem would offer a consistent damage buffer instead of an intermittent burst.

Or lightning shield -- does AoE damage around it's intended target (any friendly target) on a 20-30 second cooldown with a 7-12 second duration.

Similar to the druid's thorns, this ability would have many complex applications both in PvE and PvP, and would offer the shaman survivability as well as output potential as it would act as a deterrent against melee attackers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting a separation there, because those changes would be well enough equipped to make Elemental (at least) feel far better;

But I also think removing fulmination would be of benefit to the Elemental shaman's rotational complexity.

I've suggested this in the past -- but I think Earth Shock should be a generator, and Lava Burst should be a maelstrom spender.

I'll give you 3 sides of the square and allow you to fill in the 4th one by yourself.
We cucked #forgottenshaman
Our damage is fine baseline, the counter to our lack of mobility is lacking. Whatever they do it is too late now. When Josh on method tells a few thousand viewers that if you play shaman in progression raiding you hate your raid team, it is over. Try queuing for M+ 10 or better, hope you have a day or 2 to spam queue. The perception that is out there is way overly negative for shaman, and there hasn't been one blue post to alleviate any of the shaman 'hatred'.
you know communication that they say they need to do better on ALLLL the time, like a blue post. that is communication, not just popping into the shaman discord and saying we are reading your comments. Just a hollow gesture, to placate the shaman community. The person didnt even know about the feral roadmap blue post that probably got put out cause a large viewer youtube streamer was giving them a negative image playing the class, cant have that. The DID NOT know about it and they are supposedly on the dev team reading our input. Just a PR person trying to put out fires, the lack of anything proves this.
Then let's make a shaman streamer huge. My vote would be Barrakoshama on twitch the man is a hell of a good player and positive advocate for us.
Blizz really needs to get the elemental overload concept into the game again.

When shammies hit max maelstrom we could get some kind of buff or gameplay changer, after that buff or trait is used we wouldn't be able to benefit from it till we manage to get maelstrom bar 10/15 or lower.

In my mind this would be really intresting.
As the patch 8.1.0 information starts to comes out, we wanted to share the current plans of what is being changed for Elemental Shaman.

Core Ability Changes:
  • Shifted some damage from Earth Shock to Lightning Bolt.
  • Elemental Shaman is the only lightning based spell caster. However, over time, Lightning Bolt has gone from being a significant portion of your total damage to one of your least damaging abilities. It should be a powerful and effective spell for you to cast, and not something that feels like a burden to your rotation. Earth Shock will still be your hardest hitting spell, but Lightning Bolt should feel a bit better as part of your rotation.

• Lava Burst has had its functionality changed behind the scenes to allow an in-flight Lava Burst to gain a guaranteed critical strike from a Flame Shock cast after the Lava Burst has been cast.
  • This change should help your initial spells cast against a monster, boss, enemy player, or whatever else feel much better. You can cast Lava Burst before combat, and when it finishes, cast Flame Shock, and the Lava Burst will gain the critical strike benefit from your Flame Shock.

Talent Changes:
  • The level 15 talent Elemental Blast will now always pick a different secondary stat buff when causing an Elemental Overload.
  • The level 30 talent Master of the Elements can now also benefit a Physical damage spell, allowing it to increase the damage of an Earthquake.
  • The level 100 talent Stormkeeper now also increases the damage of your next two Lightning Bolts by 250% in addition to its existing effects. This damage bonus will also apply to the Elemental Overloads of Lightning Bolt from Stormkeeper.
  • The Master of the Elements and Stormkeeper changes are primarily to help keep balance between single target damage and area damage of the talent rows. Master of the Elements will now affect your next Earthquake spell to keep the talent more competitive when dealing area damage, and Stormkeeper will grant you two really powerful Lightning Bolts that also cause Elemental Overloads when fighting just a single target.

• The level 15 talent Exposed Elements has been removed, and the level 90 talent Earthen Rage has taken its place
  • The level 60 talent High Voltage has been removed.
  • New talent in the level 60 row: Call the Thunder
  • New talent in the level 90 row: Surge of Power
  • When looking at the whole sum of changes made to Elemental Shaman this expansion, we feel that some of the passive talent choices weren’t holding up well, and had no interaction with how you played the game at all. We’re adding some experimental new talents that should allow some additional decision making on how you choose to use some of your abilities. Please keep in mind that both of these new talents, as well as all of the other changes, are still under iteration and may change entirely throughout the patch 8.1.0 PTR cycle.
    - some bfa alpha bugs finally fixed (lava burst, elemental blast, master of elements)
    - earth shock nerf
    - lightning bolt buff
    - stormkeeper buff
    - earthen rage moved

nice rework

at least tell us what the two new talents do
    09/18/2018 02:59 PMPosted by Nimox
    As the patch 8.1.0 information starts to comes out, we wanted to share the current plans of what is being changed for Elemental Shaman.

Core Ability Changes:
  • Elemental Shaman is the only lightning based spell caster. However, over time, Lightning Bolt has gone from being a significant portion of your total damage to one of your least damaging abilities. It should be a powerful and effective spell for you to cast, and not something that feels like a burden to your rotation. Earth Shock will still be your hardest hitting spell, but Lightning Bolt should feel a bit better as part of your rotation.

• Lava Burst has had its functionality changed behind the scenes to allow an in-flight Lava Burst to gain a guaranteed critical strike from a Flame Shock cast after the Lava Burst has been cast.
  • This change should help your initial spells cast against a monster, boss, enemy player, or whatever else feel much better. You can cast Lava Burst before combat, and when it finishes, cast Flame Shock, and the Lava Burst will gain the critical strike benefit from your Flame Shock.

Talent Changes:
  • The level 15 talent Elemental Blast will now always pick a different secondary stat buff when causing an Elemental Overload.
  • The level 30 talent Master of the Elements can now also benefit a Physical damage spell, allowing it to increase the damage of an Earthquake.
  • The level 100 talent Stormkeeper now also increases the damage of your next two Lightning Bolts by 250% in addition to its existing effects. This damage bonus will also apply to the Elemental Overloads of Lightning Bolt from Stormkeeper.
  • The Master of the Elements and Stormkeeper changes are primarily to help keep balance between single target damage and area damage of the talent rows. Master of the Elements will now affect your next Earthquake spell to keep the talent more competitive when dealing area damage, and Stormkeeper will grant you two really powerful Lightning Bolts that also cause Elemental Overloads when fighting just a single target.

• The level 15 talent Exposed Elements has been removed, and the level 90 talent Earthen Rage has taken its place
  • When looking at the whole sum of changes made to Elemental Shaman this expansion, we feel that some of the passive talent choices weren’t holding up well, and had no interaction with how you played the game at all. We’re adding some experimental new talents that should allow some additional decision making on how you choose to use some of your abilities. Please keep in mind that both of these new talents, as well as all of the other changes, are still under iteration and may change entirely throughout the patch 8.1.0 PTR cycle.

I know that I speak for many shamans when I say this patch is 'make it or break it' for most shaman players. Don't screw it up!

Core Ability Changes:

Talent Changes:

I don't see anything of which Ele shamans have been asking for so I hope this isn't the only thing coming their way. Perhaps the new talents will address the points below. It would be nice to know what they do.

No mention of Echo of Elements being baseline.
    No mention of removing the god forsaken Flame Shock cooldown
    No mention of anything to improve PvP survivability

Also, where are the resto changes because we're entering another week that we're second rate raid healers and abysmal mythic+ healers.
    Make lightning bolt be usable on the move. Ele sucks while stationary as well as being mobile. At least you can fix some of that with lightning bolt on the move.

I enjoy seeing lightning bolt hitting harder, but doesn't shifting damage out of earth shock remove one of our only niche strengths? (being able to cleave with CL and translate that damage into a single target).

In Uldir, the only situations I feel strong is when I can CL 3-5 adds and spam earth shock the boss. These changes effectively remove that ONE time I feel strong. I don't hate the change necessarily, but we don't really have a time to shine and I fail to see how these address that.

Plus our AoE is still kinda awful. CL spam puts you below the tank, and unless mobs are a +10 fortified you won't even get an EQ off. Then the tank moves.
    New talent in the level 60 row: Call the Thunder
    New talent in the level 90 row: Surge of Power

So, uh, what do these do?

• [/quote]

Unlimited Power still feels odd with the slow pace of spellcasting on elemental.
    Even now it's considered a huge nope.
    Do you guys consider buffing it up to keep it a relevant or unique choice?

High voltage was a thing you guys got it right in BFA, it gave us a gamble to keep stacking mastery and well, with all the abysmal lows of shammies trough this expansion, both High Voltage and Exposed Elements were a combo that made us think it's worth a shot.

There are plenty of stuff that we feel it's missing from the base class itself. Juggling stuff on talent tree may sound like way too big of a move and surely will make Elemental players feel more displaced than they already are.

Now, about azerite traits...
    Passive intellect with LB/CL? Really?
    Smaller elemental that does absolutely nothing productive mechanic-wise on a 2.5min CD?
    Earth Elemental Physical Damage and AOE?
    I'm sure you guys can do better. I have faith in it.
    Increasing mastery gain from Bloodlust tho... That was pretty fun, getting us a new 5min cd was the highlight of BFA so far.

Hope you guys don't give up on shammy. Been playin with this little fella since cata and to be honest feels like we're lost on core mechanics.
    And yet I have faith in you. Best of luck
    [quote="207676196963"]As the patch 8.1.0 information starts to comes out, we wanted to share the current plans of what is being changed for Elemental Shaman.

Core Ability Changes:

Talent Changes:

I just hope these changes would help dps shaman get into group....as of right now, no one want to take a dps shaman AT ALL, PLEASE FIX US BEFORE WE DIE OUT CUZ OF LOW DPS

Core Ability Changes:

Talent Changes:

Just want to say, I definitely appreciate you taking the time to put this information out there. It goes a long way to have some communication on the changes coming our way. However, I do hope there is the intention to do more than the above changes, and it's simply that you haven't ironed out what further steps you wish to take. I could be mistaken, as perhaps the two new talents are wonderfully spec defining ones, but on the surface these changes don't seem to really address many of the issues I felt (or I've seen others have felt) while playing elemental. I will leave it this for now, as we are likely at least 1.5 months away from any sort of release for 8.1. I look forward to further communication regarding the future of my favorite class!

Core Ability Changes:

Talent Changes:

Doesn't sound like it will be any better in the end but hey, at least a blue replied.