Rerolling from VDH to Prot Pally

Paladin
Hey lads,

While VDH are in a whole lot of hurt right now, how are Prot Pallies doing in Mythic+? Are they taking stupid amounts of damage? What are their self heals like? VDH have less than 50% AM uptime and their best self heals does literally nothing.. Want something a little more tankier.
Hand of the Protector being on the GCD is a drag, but overall we're very strong. Great tank dps, great utility (only util we lack is the ability to quickly clump mobs up), damage intake is smooth with plenty of cooldowns available. While HotP being on the GCD sucks, it's a powerful self-heal, and it's on-demand. Shield of the Righteous is available enough that I don't find myself needing oomph for a mechanic and not having it.
Wait,I keep hearing that VDH is top .Did that change?
VDH does a lot of things very well - 'Living' doesn't happen to be one of those things currently, lol.
09/09/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Castleguarde
VDH does a lot of things very well - 'Living' doesn't happen to be one of those things currently, lol.

Oh,just give them a good healer then,I guess.
09/09/2018 04:58 PMPosted by Dalles
09/09/2018 04:06 PMPosted by Castleguarde

Oh,just give them a good healer then,I guess.

With a decent healer we are bomb, however, they are few and far between. And I'd rather not rely on a decent healer instead of having some half decent AM.

Edit: Words are hard.
vdh is so good rn. i prefer it to playing prot pally
09/09/2018 05:58 PMPosted by Ascetic
vdh is so good rn. i prefer it to playing prot pally

What is it that you like, Ascetic?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the class. I mained it through legion and know it intimately, and completely dig the play style and utility it has. However, I just can't get past the ridiculously low mitigation we have. Taking the hits we do without a proper way to recover other than a decent healer, is pushing me away from it. I want to feel tanky, big, strong. But I just feel too squishy to fully envelope myself in it again.
I like the fact that my survivability is directly linked to how much dmg I do, and as vdh, I do a lot. Something to the tune of 20k dps on aoe pulls

it's not as good as it was in legion but it's still not bad. I find myself pain capped pretty often because soul cleave is just a pointless ability when you could spirit bomb instead, but it has good mobility, useful sigils, and a ton of dps and explosions