Is spreading racism and hatefulness bannable?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
09/08/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Djshamwow
I saw a guild ( I wont say the name ) recruiting saying only a certain race and political/religious view were allowed to join. They have pro-!@#$ names and are being toxic. Is that type of behaviour bannable and if so will they just force name changes or will they actually get disbanded?

No. Guild leaders are allowed to choose who they allow in their guilds, and they don't even need a reason not to let you in. Freedom of association also means freedom from association. IE they don't have to let you in their club.

Does that make them asterisks? Probably. But it's ok for other people to be terrible. It's not going to kill you.
while I am against jerks in general we must migrate away from the belief that anyone has a right to not be offended.
09/08/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Wanoth
while I am against jerks in general we must migrate away from the belief that anyone has a right to not be offended.

We must also move away from the belief that anyone has a right to offend anyone they want without consequences.
09/08/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Manazzle
Running around shouting "WHITE POWER" is probably a bannable offense, yes. But there are plenty of guilds that only recruit LGBT people and other minorities, and if that's not against the TOS then I don't know why it would matter if your guild is all, say, republican.

There was a LGBT guild that did that years ago (like back in BC), blizzard disbanded the guild, but who knows maybe things have changed since then.
There was just now, and ever so briefly, a thread on the front page that appeared to be from someone testing this question out. That thread is now gone and I bet the account is too.
09/08/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Goraxe
09/08/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Manazzle
Running around shouting "WHITE POWER" is probably a bannable offense, yes. But there are plenty of guilds that only recruit LGBT people and other minorities, and if that's not against the TOS then I don't know why it would matter if your guild is all, say, republican.

There was a LGBT guild that did that years ago (like back in BC), blizzard disbanded the guild, but who knows maybe things have changed since then.

You can radicalize anything. If a guild of LGBT people constantly spammed general chat with stuff like "kill all heteros" then yeah, they'd probably be banned. But even a !@#$ guild can be civilized and keep to themselves.

Edit: Why the hell is N A Z I a filtered word?
09/08/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Tusend

We must also move away from the belief that anyone has a right to offend anyone they want without consequences.

Sure! I mean you can offend people if you want, just know you will be punished. I don't know why that is a hard concept for some.

No one is stopping you, but just pack some bags for that nice vacation after... This is like a interesting way to teach anger management and how to be civil.

Just ask yourself, "Is it worth being silenced?" I would think most would answer no. "Do I need to say this thing that might offend someone... I might get silenced." Then probably you don't need to say it.

Edit: (I'm using the general "you" not accusing the person I quoted of anything. I was agreeing with them.)
OP: Generally it's not given past statements made by Blues. The general policy seems to be that guilds are 100% optional and 100% self-selected so they will leave them alone.

I was on a server with a famous Alliance guild who was well-known for having a "No Girls Allowed" rule after several female members caused a ton of drama and nearly destroyed the guild. Rumor had it links to NSFW photos that at least one of them was sending to officers were posted to the old General Discussions forum too. I do not recall they ever announced it in game, but if you went to their website to apply, the application made it abundantly clear.

They may take issue with public statements though if they do violate Blizzard's Code of Conduct. The CoC is a relatively new document for WoW given that it and the company-wide End User License Agreement have replaced the old Terms of Service for WoW.

09/08/2018 06:46 PMPosted by Brax
There was just now, and ever so briefly, a thread on the front page that appeared to be from someone testing this question out. That thread is now gone and I bet the account is too.
And the best part was how the poster of that thread was bragging about how Blizzard wasn't going to do anything about it too. :)
Just stop being offended. You don't have to be offended. Being offended is a choice.

The problem is what's "offensive" half the time is incredibly non-offensive to normal, well adjusted people. We can't just punish everyone who offends anyone, otherwise no one would be able to speak about anything.

We need to stop trying to police everyone else's speech and just teach kids to deal with the fact that some people are just unpleasant.
I honestly don't know what's wrong with saying you only want X in your guild. Who cares.
09/08/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Phlynch

The problem is what's "offensive" half the time is incredibly non-offensive to normal, well adjusted people. We can't just punish everyone who offends anyone, otherwise no one would be able to speak about anything.

We need to stop trying to police everyone else's speech and just teach kids to deal with the fact that some people are just unpleasant.

I speak all the time in gen chat and have never been reported. Is it really that hard for people not to be offensive? Do you guys really not know how to act right?
How about you just block them? It’s not your job to be a nanny, anyone else who doesn’t like them can block them also.
Racism outside of the context of the game is bannable yes.

For example, if I am roleplaying an Orc who hates Elves, that's fine. I can't get banned for that.

But if I go around pretending to use certian WW2 group salutes, saying certain WW2 group sayings and generally acting like a racial supremecist, well THAT is bannable.

Report it to Blizzard, they'll deal with it.
09/08/2018 07:04 PMPosted by Carhagen
But if I go around pretending to use certian WW2 group salutes, saying certain WW2 group sayings and generally acting like a racial supremecist, well THAT is bannable.

Somehow, there are people that find this concept to be difficult to understand.
Well you might find it offensive but as long as they are not going around harassing people in chat about not being a specific race or religion. They really havnt broken any rules, and in the long run are only hurting themselves.

The problem with this thread is more precise then what the op implies. If someone says something that a group says is ok, there will be no thread, but a group has said this type of talk is not ok. So here are looking at a thread like this. Now either you believe in freedom of speech and to gather with like minded people or you dont. The reverse is also true, and I wont go into detail on that, as there are too many extremists now and day that would latch on to that. Really this thread serves no purpose unless they are going around harassing other players because they are a specific race and religion.
09/08/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Djshamwow
I saw a guild ( I wont say the name ) recruiting saying only a certain race and political/religious view were allowed to join.
They're only allowed to do that if they're like a black only guild and super left wing. Why do we have BET and black this and black that? Imagine if I started White Entertainment Television, the outcry would be outrageous. How about Black colleges and crap like that? This also applies to every other "minority". I'm sure Blizzard is on board with it all too.
09/08/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Phlynch

Thank you.

Some of the stuff I read here is certainly scary; people talking about punishing people solely on the basis of what *they* think is "offensive".

Poster above summed this up pretty well.
Everyone wants freedom until someone has a different belief. Take me, I truly hate Koopas, but if they just stop walking into me, we can co exist.