Is spreading racism and hatefulness bannable?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
OP doesn't have the right to be offended.
Idk how I have gotten away with my guilds name for so long. It has nothing to do with the IRL axis I just think its a cool sounding name.
09/08/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Phlynch
09/08/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Hankypanky
Oh my lol. What are you even talking about. It ain't that deep. Don't act like a jerk and you won't be reported is all I'm saying.

And all I'm saying is your idea of acting like a jerk is someone else's idea of perfectly civil conversation and yet another person's idea of actual satanism. You can't just say "don't be a jerk" because the exact same statement can and will be interpreted a million different ways.

We can't control how other people feel. We shouldn't control how other people speak. What we can and should do is choose whether or not we let it bother us when we run into someone who we feel is being rude.

I think you two are coming at this from different angles. Your basic point is true Plynch but from what I have seen of Hankypanky in other threads, he is talking about people who aggressively maintain their "right" to say or do anything they want in-game.

Yes, there comes a point when someone can be too narcisisstic about what is offensive but generally speaking, when people come to the forums upset about being silenced it is clear to anyone who treats people well that those people are jerks. Their behavior is nowhere close to benign.

And Blizzard has said they don't want that behavior in the game anymore. And several of us agree.
09/08/2018 07:33 PMPosted by Phlynch
09/08/2018 07:18 PMPosted by Hankypanky
Oh my lol. What are you even talking about. It ain't that deep. Don't act like a jerk and you won't be reported is all I'm saying.

And all I'm saying is your idea of acting like a jerk is someone else's idea of perfectly civil conversation and yet another person's idea of actual satanism. You can't just say "don't be a jerk" because the exact same statement can and will be interpreted a million different ways.

We can't control how other people feel. We shouldn't control how other people speak. What we can and should do is choose whether or not we let it bother us when we run into someone who we feel is being rude.

Yeah I've realized this when I said "I think I was raised differently". Well, just... good luck out there! It must be hard for you guys. smh.
09/08/2018 05:42 PMPosted by Manazzle
Running around shouting "WHITE POWER" is probably a bannable offense, yes. But there are plenty of guilds that only recruit LGBT people and other minorities, and if that's not against the TOS then I don't know why it would matter if your guild is all, say, republican.

There are only gnome guilds, for that matter. But hate speech is a markedly different thing than, say, The Young Republicans Guild or Old Lesbians With Too Many Pets Guild (that last one would be my guild, lol).
You can have LGBT and black only WoW communities.

You cannot have a straight or white only community.

So yes, in this case, the double standard would work to your benefit if you report them.
This thread is a train wreck.
09/08/2018 07:34 PMPosted by Akaraven

Asking for certain types, race, religion, political shouldn't be bannable.

It's like let's say a Russian wanted to play only with Russians, they speak the same, have the same culture, can mingle easier with each other.

Or the Koreans and there crazy !@# way of playing games, they may not want a laid back Brazilian who doesn't speak their language or want to play the game as hard and fast.

Yes this is an English speaking game primarily, but that is only due to the country is started from, players have the right to choose who they play with and that is great.

But being an $%^ about it? That is not on, report them. Being an -*! in general is not on, we need to be kind to each other at the least.

I don't know what the guild was actually recruiting for but I do know of someone who posted here about the fact they were silenced for something "as minor" as making a group in group finder and specifying particular servers (all of which are populated by a specific ethnic group) as not needing to apply. That player went on to explain how annoying it was when they spammed her in whispers showing their relevant achievements as qualification for being in the group. When she tried to appeal she was told that it could be taken as racism and was not permitted in WoW.

Is this a true story? I don't know. I am passing on what was the silenced player said. All I can say is there is at least one occasion the Blizzard said excluding someone from a group based on nationality was unacceptable behavior.
09/08/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Djshamwow
I saw a guild ( I wont say the name ) recruiting saying only a certain race and political/religious view were allowed to join. They have pro-!@#$ names and are being toxic. Is that type of behaviour bannable and if so will they just force name changes or will they actually get disbanded?

So instead of just mentally ignoring them you give them the attention they were seeking to start with?

If someone is saying something in trade that that you disagree with then just respond to them. All this running to Daddy and crying over feelings getting hurt because someone said something not directly to you is what ties up the GMs. Grow a thicker skin and don't feed the trolls.
09/08/2018 06:07 PMPosted by Manazzle
09/08/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Convert

Would running around Boralus shouting "BLACK POWER" be equally bannable?

Yes. Despite what tumblr wants you to believe, black people can be racist.

i like this guy
09/08/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Tusend
09/08/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Wanoth
while I am against jerks in general we must migrate away from the belief that anyone has a right to not be offended.

We must also move away from the belief that anyone has a right to offend anyone they want without consequences.

Show us where the words hurt you.
09/08/2018 07:55 PMPosted by Coniferous
This thread is a train wreck.

What else would you expect from this cesspool?
09/08/2018 06:45 PMPosted by Tusend
09/08/2018 06:43 PMPosted by Wanoth
while I am against jerks in general we must migrate away from the belief that anyone has a right to not be offended.

We must also move away from the belief that anyone has a right to offend anyone they want without consequences.
In order for free speech to reign supreme, offensive speech will always be there. The only course of action against offensive speech should be when it has become physical by those who take it to a new level.

It is already against the law to incite violence or physical harm to someone, FYI.
The forums aren't a good place to decide whether or not x, y or z deserves a, b or c.

If there's a sensation of breaking the rules and inappropriate behavior, report it and Blizzard will make the decision from that point.
09/08/2018 06:57 PMPosted by Krypollo
Just stop being offended. You don't have to be offended. Being offended is a choice.

Just stop saying things that offend people. You don't have to offend people. Saying offensive things is a choice.

Honestly, as a member of the LGBT community, I'd much rather people advertise their bigotry so I know which people and guilds to avoid.
Doesn’t seem like it’s a problem. There are plenty of guilds that o my recruit a certain race. Perhaps a group of worgen trying to restore the gilnean glory. Who cares.
09/08/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Malvalen
Just stop being offended. You don't have to be offended. Being offended is a choice.

Just stop saying things that offend people. You don't have to offend people. Saying offensive things is a choice.

Honestly, as a member of the LGBT community, I'd much rather people advertise their bigotry so I know which people and guilds to avoid.

If everything offends you, there is nothing that anyone could say that wouldn't be offensive.
09/08/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Malvalen

Here's the problem with that, people can claim offense to 'anything'.
Maybe it's a unpopular opinion, but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with thinking that your race or culture is better than someone else's. There's a huge chasm between hating someone and calling them vulgar names and feeling that your race is generally better at something. Black people are generally better than white people at basketball for example. I mean sure, Larry Byrd was the !@#$, but people like him are outliers. Asian families have a higher income on average so I'd say they are the best with money. Cultures and ethnicities do have highs and lows across a large spectrum of categories and those that excell in certain areas outside the average are outliers.

I work with every type of person under the sun and we have conversations about it all of the time. It's always been that way and it's not that big of a deal. I wasn't invited to join the African heritage club in high school, but I was friends with people in it. I never even gave it a second thought. None of us did. My Asian friends didn't care if they weren't invited to La Raza.

People have seriously gone crazy over the last decade.
09/08/2018 07:52 PMPosted by Rdord
You can have LGBT and black only WoW communities.

You cannot have a straight or white only community.

So yes, in this case, the double standard would work to your benefit if you report them.

Eh, it's totally fine to make social guilds even if you're not a minority, as long as you don't come out sexist or racist when recruiting. I can't see anything wrong with making your guild a social hub for guys to talk about guy things, for example. But if your reasoning for having an all-men guild is because you think "women are drama makers" then yeah you deserve to have your guild disbanded.

Except maybe if your guild is a top ranking guild in mythic raiding or PvE. Then Blizzard will probably take offense if you exclude people for social reasons because it reflects bad on the game and the community if <social group> is not allowed to compete there.

But that's very unlikely because guilds that accept people based on social criteria instead of their gaming preference tend to not get very far. Usually what happens is that people can't agree on that to do and the guild ends up doing nothing because anything causes drama.