Pushback on posts about unsubbing

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
It isn't that it is a goodbye post that gets people hate. There are plenty of those that come and go without more than the trolling that every thread gets. The ones that attract ire tend to be about the content of the post itself, not just for being a goodbye thread. Mixing the two up is understandable, but still dumb.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

No, even people with well-reasoned arguments about why they don't enjoy BFA and are quitting (because the forums are the only place that Blizz allows them to have a voice anymore) are shouted down. Not to mention, the ire some of the unsubbers are getting from the community wouldn't exactly encourage them to come back to the game in the future. A lot of you guys are actually hurting the game by being so hateful to anyone who posts an unsub thread.

So you think someone would be fragile enough to let something said on this forum to determine the course of their life ? It really is far better those types don't play this game or any game or even come on the internet in fact at all.

Course of their life? Are you kidding me? Someone deciding to not go to college because someone said bad things to them on the internet is making a decision that would affect the course of their life. Deciding to no longer spend your free time in a game with a toxic community is just common sense. There's a reason I won't touch games like Overwatch with a 10 foot pole, or any competitive MP title for that matter. Only reason I'm still playing WOW is the friends I've been playing with going on 14 years now.
09/11/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Laraus
09/11/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Amine

So you think someone would be fragile enough to let something said on this forum to determine the course of their life ? It really is far better those types don't play this game or any game or even come on the internet in fact at all.

His point, and mine, is this is a social game. The angrier people get, they have to direct it somewhere. And it's not like Blizz has a phone complaint line. So we spit venom at each other. For example if you, and half the other players in the games are jerkoffs who rage and get out of hand, I'm not going to want to be anywhere near you. I won't want to be in guild with you, or hear you frothing on voice chat. I won't want to raid with you. I'll just solo play until bored, or just not play at all. It's not about being fragile. It's about not paying money to put up with toxic crap. Voicing your opinion with your feet, so to speak. Get what I mean? Just like some people turn off trade chat for a reason, there are steps beyond that to avoid and get rid of negative cancer.

This is a really good post!
09/11/2018 01:29 AMPosted by Laraus
The biggest thing that bugs me, is when someone says they're no longer having fun and wanting to step away, you guys telling them to GTFO are part of the problem. Less subs and players are bad. Why make it worse?

I think that reaction is slowly melting away between today and yesterday. Even the fanboys are having a hard time defending BFA at this point.
The majority of them do not have the tone of a goodbye thread, but rather have a vibe along the lines of:

'the game sucks, I can't play this sorry crap anymore and you should feel stupid for playing it too, maybe eventually you'll see the light like I have and move on from this sad heap of fail.'

Is it any wonder the community loses patience with quitters?
09/11/2018 06:41 AMPosted by Woodspath
The majority of them do not have the tone of a goodbye thread, but rather have a vibe along the lines of:

'the game sucks, I can't play this sorry crap anymore and you should feel stupid for playing it too, maybe eventually you'll see the light like I have and move on from this sad heap of fail.'

Is it any wonder the community loses patience with quitters?

Why does anybody else care about why another person quits? Why do you have to have an opinion on something that has no impact (other than not seeing them in the world).

Who made the people on here the arbiter of anything in the world, let alone the game?

In life there will be times when somebody breaks up with somebody and theire first reaction is to lash out and hurt them. With maturity most people will realize that it's pointless to take your personal feelings out on a person who is doing their best to be happy on their own.

For most of the people quitting, I am guessing, that they've played this game longer than they have had a real life relationship. It matters to them.

Hell, I am 48 years old and have been married a decade, and I've been playing WoW longer than we've been married.
09/11/2018 04:07 AMPosted by Crepe
Honestly, I think overall we throw a lot of hate around here. You could isolate nearly any topic on the forums and get similar results.

There are ways to disagree with someone without the vitriol. And there are some posters here that have literally hundreds of pages of negative posting towards others.

Beyond that? Some of the pushback people see is simply due to the tone of the original post. When you're in histrionics in what you're saying, you're going to get a lot of emotion back. And if it's counter to what you're posting, it's going to be pretty strongly negative.

Melodrama and negativity do run rampant around here. And that's us. And the only people who can change it? Is us.

Even worse than disagreeing with someone vitriolically is disagreeing with someone condescendingly but under the guise of reason and impartiality.

How dare someone be outspoken. They must be "histrionic."

How dare someone reject a post that is patently offensive and hateful regardless of political persuasion. That person much be "emotional" for having standards.

People who think that way should get off of their high horses.
09/11/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Phydeaux
Why does anybody else care about why another person quits?

It matters because when they quit, they signal a loss of revenue for everyone in their demographic.
Other people’s opinions usually equal hate and trolling to those that are less world traveled.
Do people genuinely not see the difference in these things??:

Bye guys, thanks for all the fish!

I'm quitting, and you should, too!

I'm quitting, and you're all idiots for staying!

Again, people don't get more than normal 'I dared make a post on the forums' hate for the first one, a little more for the second, but the third is what people object to so strongly. It isn't the first half of the sentance that irritates, either.
09/11/2018 01:32 AMPosted by Muassie
Honestly I find it funny cause A. I don't care and B. No you're not... You can sit here and claim " im done Blizzard you lost my 15 dollars" 9 times out of 10 they don't leave cause they love to complain and if they actually did leave they wouldn't have anything to complain about

This isn't about you though.

Any company should care as to why they are losing business which is why many actually reach out and 'ask' for feedback on why someone left a service or subscription.

Anyone that does not care about people leaving or detailing on the forum why they are leaving are fully capable of skipping right over that post and not reading it. On the other hand, hopefully Bliz has at least one employee responsible for gathering data from those departing and is looking into the highest repeat complaints.

I think part of the vitriol comes from diehard fanbois and some from forum trolls but I agree with those suggesting that the heaviest negative feedback on goodbye posts are usually associated with those posts that are shared in a nonproductive way with immature feedback and the dramatic woe is me writing stance. Slightly similar to what you did here by not answering the question the OP presented (why negative feedback on goodbye posts) and making this all about you not caring about the topic you are commenting on and your unsubstantiated claim that 9 out of 10 claiming to leave are staying.

Or maybe you just meant to say that you think some of the negative criticism comes from people that feel the poster is not presenting valid complaints about the game and is being disingenuous about unsubbing so instead of addressing the validity of the complaints presented by the posters they just troll instead?
09/11/2018 06:23 AMPosted by Laraus
09/11/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Amine

His point, and mine, is this is a social game. The angrier people get, they have to direct it somewhere. And it's not like Blizz has a phone complaint line. So we spit venom at each other. For example if you, and half the other players in the games are jerkoffs who rage and get out of hand, I'm not going to want to be anywhere near you. I won't want to be in guild with you, or hear you frothing on voice chat. I won't want to raid with you. I'll just solo play until bored, or just not play at all. It's not about being fragile. It's about not paying money to put up with toxic crap. Voicing your opinion with your feet, so to speak. Get what I mean? Just like some people turn off trade chat for a reason, there are steps beyond that to avoid and get rid of negative cancer.

You are projecting then because I don't feel that way at all. I don't remember who I discuss things with from day to day on here and I certainly wouldn't remember if I had an argument with someone on the forum and saw that person in the game.

In addition, guess what. I have posted on this forum for 5 years and have only once seen a person from this forum in game.
Negativity breeds negativity. Drama breeds drama. Hate breeds hate.

But honestly, a lot of the “I quit!” posts are super melodramatic, spiteful, and cathartic. It’s hard not to troll people who are so ridiculous. This game isn’t perfect (no expansion is, at launch), but most of the whiners are just absurd.
09/11/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Irondust
09/11/2018 04:07 AMPosted by Crepe
Honestly, I think overall we throw a lot of hate around here. You could isolate nearly any topic on the forums and get similar results.

There are ways to disagree with someone without the vitriol. And there are some posters here that have literally hundreds of pages of negative posting towards others.

Beyond that? Some of the pushback people see is simply due to the tone of the original post. When you're in histrionics in what you're saying, you're going to get a lot of emotion back. And if it's counter to what you're posting, it's going to be pretty strongly negative.

Melodrama and negativity do run rampant around here. And that's us. And the only people who can change it? Is us.

Even worse than disagreeing with someone vitriolically is disagreeing with someone condescendingly but under the guise of reason and impartiality.

How dare someone be outspoken. They must be "histrionic."

How dare someone reject a post that is patently offensive and hateful regardless of political persuasion. That person much be "emotional" for having standards.

People who think that way should get off of their high horses.

I agree with you on that - I find his posts to be so offensive as well.
09/11/2018 01:33 AMPosted by Nadiea
They get “hate and trolling” for it because people who feel the need to announce that they’re leaving end up coming back in a week.

Wrong. Nice try though. I quit longer than that and all my sub time is good for now is countering fanboy trash like this on the forums.

I quit for over 6 months in WoD over the anti-flying nonsense, but I had hope that would be reversed, and it looked like maybe it had.

This time I transferred guild leadership to someone else and left with no intention of coming back. With the current state of the game, things like scaling and pathfinder, I don't think I'll ever come back.

The brainless defense of unpopular changes to the game by people willing to defend even the most horrible game design failures have eroded my faith in Blizzard as a whole. I see them ignoring beta feedback, releasing garbage before it even works right, and stubbornly sticking to stupid ideas like scaling and pathfinder.

The game in its current state is dead to me. I uninstalled every Blizzard game except the original Starcraft.
09/11/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Lethalpower
there is an endless stream of hate and trolling towards that person. Why?

Because that is the most amount of attention these people will ever get. the "Im usubbing" posts usually get hundreds of players posting on them and some people will insult them, others will agree with them. There is just the simple fact that you cannot post on the forums with an unsbubbed account.

I did actually unsub earlier this expac, first time I have EVER unsubbed in my entire time of playing simply becuase I could not log onto Illidan server to play....no one could log onto Illidan. So I unubbed. It said I had 13 days of time left.

Then I went to the forums to post about the fact that I ad just unsubbed.....and got a message saying in bright red letters "You need an active subscription to post on the forums"

So I resubbed and it let me post. A Blizzard GM also confirmed that you do infact need an active subscription in order to post on he WoW forums. I can copy past our chat to prove it if needed.

So therefore these people are just bluffing and trying to make it seem as though they will unsub if they do not get their way. And then there is the fact that all f these people who "unsubbed" are still making progress and posting on their toons months later. They know that that is the trending and most controversial topic to bring up on the forums right now, so a poster who wants 15 minutes of fame is going to go that route in order to get noticed as they can think of no better way to get hundreds of people giving them full attention for 24 hours straight.

I am currently unsubbed and counting down my game time. Therefore you're lying.
09/11/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Phydeaux

I don't like to see anybody leave the game for reasons that aren't within their control.

I mean, if you had fun and no longer are having fun for your personal reasons, I want you to go and have the best experience elsewhere.

But if you were having fun, and are no longer having fun because of changes made in the game, that is a different story and it bothers me.

I cancelled because the game changed, not me. I haven't changed and my expectations haven't. The game has.

I think that's the thing that makes fully stepping away so hard for me. My friends really want me to get BfA and stay subbed. This is the first expansion I didn't buy right off the bat because the story changed in such a way that it's no longer fun for me. And it is hard to step away from something you have been playing for over a decade on regular basis. It's not only the time and effort put into the game but it's the RP elements some of us come up with for our characters. Backgrounds and lore. They become part of you.

It can be disheartening when you see a legitimate complaint and people are so negative. On the other hand clicking ignore on those players can be very cathartic. I do laugh when I read the "We don't care" comment because the first thought through my head is, "But you responded"
My counter question is, what benefit is there in telling us they're unsubbing? Why not just do it? It's clearly just a cry for attention and most of us really dont give a care. So why not just unsub and be done with it rather than drawing out like expecting people to beg. Please, no! Baby! I'll be better! I swear! Don't leave me!
09/11/2018 07:14 AMPosted by Irondust
09/11/2018 06:54 AMPosted by Phydeaux
Why does anybody else care about why another person quits?

It matters because when they quit, they signal a loss of revenue for everyone in their demographic.

I agree it matters when they quit, but my question was why?

People spend too much time on here trying to refute what others say, instead of trying to learn why they feel the way that they do. Blizzard is perfectly capable of ignoring player feedback, they are somewhat masters of that science.
09/11/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Lethalpower
there is an endless stream of hate and trolling towards that person. Why?

Because that is the most amount of attention these people will ever get. the "Im usubbing" posts usually get hundreds of players posting on them and some people will insult them, others will agree with them. There is just the simple fact that you cannot post on the forums with an unsbubbed account.

I did actually unsub earlier this expac, first time I have EVER unsubbed in my entire time of playing simply becuase I could not log onto Illidan server to play....no one could log onto Illidan. So I unubbed. It said I had 13 days of time left.

Then I went to the forums to post about the fact that I ad just unsubbed.....and got a message saying in bright red letters "You need an active subscription to post on the forums"

So I resubbed and it let me post. A Blizzard GM also confirmed that you do infact need an active subscription in order to post on he WoW forums. I can copy past our chat to prove it if needed.

So therefore these people are just bluffing and trying to make it seem as though they will unsub if they do not get their way. And then there is the fact that all f these people who "unsubbed" are still making progress and posting on their toons months later. They know that that is the trending and most controversial topic to bring up on the forums right now, so a poster who wants 15 minutes of fame is going to go that route in order to get noticed as they can think of no better way to get hundreds of people giving them full attention for 24 hours straight.

Gotta appreciate the humor with someone proclaiming that people come to the forum to post about unsubbing because they want 15 min of fame and admitting in the same post that they unsubbed and ran to the forum to post about unsubbing. Either this is a confession of wanting/needing that 15 minutes of fame or a delusional thought process that their unsubbing and announcing on the forum is the only valid exception to this attention rule. priceless.....