Silence system abuse in rated BGs

Battlegrounds
Currently, there are a number of teams in the rated BG ladder engaging in exploitation of the silence system to forcibly disconnect flag carriers, basesitters, and just about anyone on the enemy team with an automatic squelch from 10 people reporting them for language simultaneously.

I suffered this kind of abuse back in Ashran as a leader, not joking; the other team's leadership would have entire teams report me for language and get me squelched just to gain an advantage in fights and forcing me to sit an hour queue.

I'm actually terrified to no end that it's now being abused in an actual rated bracket by the top team. I'm not naming names, it should be obvious who.

From what I've been told, about 100 or so RBGers are now sitting with silenced accounts because people are abusing the system to report each other using the rest of their team to trigger the auto-squelch feature. The disconnect lasts 2 to 3 minutes, and once you log back in, you're silenced.

You don't even have to talk in chat. They'll report entire teams one by one, making it so that they can get bases freely, or force the FC to drop the flag, allowing for an easy return and cap. Or they'll do it to the target caller, making the other team lose coordination for the entire teamfight. Once you're silenced, you can't whisper on bnet at all, and you can't refill your group because you can't invite to group while silenced.

The level of exploitation of this calibre is unprecedented in rated BGs. As a PVPer, I should NOT be afraid to queue up for a game just because I don't want another god-forsaken silence attached to my account because people can't play fair when it comes to this game.

Something seriously needs to be done about this issue.
wow idk man if they change systems but legion we had few heavy exploiters/hackers and some of them just fly hacking and exploiting dh bug and take no dmg they didn't disconnected, when you report them unless they change the system. or you have to be more specific.
This reporting abuse needs to be fixed immediately. It should not be taken lightly. Abusing a reporting system to gain advantages? Pathetic.
Yes, this 100% is a thing despite the fact that the general discussion drones scream and squeal that it can't be abused. It also works with the name report system.

They've both been a thing for a while, but blizzard doesn't care.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17619981994
the laziness shown by blizzard enabled all this to be possible. the fact that they are punishing players without any actual evidence or review shows that they dont care about justice, only making the general population happy in a subscription game. i thought that our monthly fees are going towards bettering the game. guess not
The silence system is ridiculously open to any number of forms of abuse. But I never even thought about it being abused like that.

Just pathetic.
Courtesy of an 1800 team earlier:

https://imgur.com/a/lbqrkaX

Disconnected within a few seconds of the gates opening. Couldn't rejoin for a full 5 minutes because of a duplicate character bug.

The crux of the issue lays in the fact that this entire system is AUTOMATED. Judgement is dished out based on the sheer number of reports - not the content of what was said (if there was anything said at all) nor any human review.

Of course there's a threshold in place - a minimum number of people required if you will, that need to report someone in unison in order to make this happen. The problem is, rated battle grounds exceeds this threshold.
09/11/2018 02:56 AMPosted by Dartail
It also works with the name report system.

It actually does lmao. You can knock off opposing faction players by reporting their name as inappropriate.

It's like in-game DDoSing! But good luck getting any boot licking general discussion poster that's riding the CMs to think there's anything wrong with the system.
Aren't they banning people for abusing the system? I would hope that once the silences are appealed and looked at that they will see what is going on and ban the individuals doing it.

I know that doesn't help in the moment, but hopefully the culprits will eventually pay for their behavior.
09/11/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Miadra
Aren't they banning people for abusing the system? I would hope that once the silences are appealed and looked at that they will see what is going on and ban the individuals doing it.

I know that doesn't help in the moment, but hopefully the culprits will eventually pay for their behavior.

I've yet to know of anyone who's been punished for abusing it. I'd actually be surprised if the tickets are looked at by anyone at all since the duration of the first silence is only 24 hours. Blizzard doesn't necessarily respond to every appeal.
09/11/2018 04:35 AMPosted by Gabe

I've yet to know of anyone who's been punished for abusing it. I'd actually be surprised if the tickets are looked at by anyone at all since the duration of the first silence is only 24 hours. Blizzard doesn't necessarily respond to every appeal.

A couple of people have been, but that was when they did things like intentionally have a bunch of people report them when they made totally innocuous comments, just to prove that the automated system is too easily abused. And recorded it LOL.
Assuming this is true, it would be a serious problem, and all the accounts engaging in this type of exploitation should have all rating reverted, items removed, accounts flagged, and temporary bans incurred.
@Colarcus I can confirm it's happening. Happened to my entire team last night against a 2.2k mmr team. We jumped out ahead and suddenly all of us started getting disconnected. A little later we had an e-mail from Blizzard saying we were silenced for abusive chat that was reported by other players.

Everyone using this really needs to be banned for the rest of the season and have all the gear they earned from rated play deleted, at a minimum.

Edit: And yes, we did report them, and I have screengrabs as well of the names. I had refrained from mentioning it in a forum though because I didn't want to encourage copycats.
Is this why I got dcd and couldnt log in the past few days?

It’s the same thing as when that group was getting people instantly vote kicked out of bgs. Blizzard probably isn’t even aware the system can do that because lore didn’t even realize the vote kick system worked like that.
Sigh, this is why we cant have nice things.

THANKFULLY, I , or anyone i know, have not been a victim of this yet but I just hope that everyone it happens to IMMEDIATELY contacts blizzard about it, gathers every bit of information they can, puts that evidence on the forums and screams about it until every single offender is banned. Blizzard can, or should be able to, access your logs and who reported you. when they see that you didnt even say a word and every person on a PREMADE team tossed a report at you then that should be an easy decision to perma ban for exploitation.
09/11/2018 07:16 AMPosted by Raggnarok
Sigh, this is why we cant have nice things.

THANKFULLY, I , or anyone i know, have not been a victim of this yet but I just hope that everyone it happens to IMMEDIATELY contacts blizzard about it, gathers every bit of information they can, puts that evidence on the forums and screams about it until every single offender is banned. Blizzard can, or should be able to, access your logs and who reported you. when they see that you didnt even say a word and every person on a PREMADE team tossed a report at you then that should be an easy decision to perma ban for exploitation.

Issue I’d see is, they may look further back and say “oh well you said f*** you to a guy in a bg a week before that so system is working as intended.”
Rated Battlegrounds are a dumpster fire that I assume Blizzard wishes would just go away based on their inaction on the RBG front.

How many xpacs have we had RBGs now? And how much effort have they put into fixing its problems?

I know it sucks for those who enjoy that part of the game, but at this point no one should hold their breath waiting for a miracle.

PS And NO this is not a tacit endorsement for solo queue RBGs.
09/11/2018 07:34 AMPosted by Muffindiver
Rated Battlegrounds are a dumpster fire that I assume Blizzard wishes would just go away based on their inaction on the RBG front.

How many xpacs have we had RBGs now? And how much effort have they put into fixing its problems?

I know it sucks for those who enjoy that part of the game, but at this point no one should hold their breath waiting for a miracle.

PS And NO this is not a tacit endorsement for solo queue RBGs.

Man, I was so excited for RBGs when they were first announced. I was like a teenager at a boy band concert excited.

Oh how young and naive I was. I had so much fun in them in the past, but I just can’t imagine doing them now. Khal might finally drag me into arena. :(
This will carry over into arena soon if it hasnt already.

Just have a guild report the team that is queing up at 2.4k+ at the time. lol

this system will be and is being massively abused.

Has been since day 1 of it.