Do ppl actually find a class fun?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 19 Next
09/12/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Ythisens
I've touched a couple of specs so far this expansion and I'm having fun with Ret Pally (shocking isn't it?), Holy Paladin, Blood Death Knight, Affliction, and Balance.

Balance feels pretty different without the legendaries of Legion but it's very satisfying to Starsurge and Lunar Strike. Also the trait Streaking Stars that gives Celestial Alignment additional damage based on not repeating abilities is pretty rad. I think its an interesting way to do the Monk talent Hit Combo and have an immediate visible reward for doing it successfully.

I've never played a Warlock before so I'm having a lot of fun there as well. I think Deathbolt might be my favorite spell so far. It's a blast stacking dots up and seeing how hard that thing can hit.

So far I've been having fun with all of those at least. Still more classes to level though!

in all fairness you have to say this . classes are a shell of what they used to be, they are all generic now. tool kits wiped right out. we have no flex in choosing a style we like to play. I can respect you have to say this, but lets be honest, the entire class design team needs an overhaul before they even think about trying to get the classes right, this crew is inept.
Yes, I actually enjoy my disc priest and I look forward to playing it. Disc in Legion and BfA is really fun.

I really enjoyed resto shaman back in Wrath and I used to look forward to that, but loathe it ever since Cataclysm when they completely ruined totems by turning them all into cooldowns. I hate that change so much, and I think about that frequently enough that it might be considered unhealthy.
Enhance is the only one I really enjoy, maybe a little demo warlock. Of both of those though I miss older iterations a ton.

Demo from mop and enhance from almost anytime cata or earlier...
Always a Rogue, forever a Rogue.
09/12/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Veladus
09/12/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Nillah
If they're not giving info it's because they have none to give yet. JFC you guys are ridiculous.

You say that like it's reasonable. Follow the logic. If there's no prepared response but will be one, that means that they didn't anticipate this. Which means they didn't realize that giving infinite free mythic loot to one faction in an expansion all about the factions competing with each other might be a problem. I'm not sure I can say anything about the level of intelligence that genuinely implies within the code of conduct.

Uh... so? You realize 340 gear is easily obtainable anyway, right? You guys are acting like warfronts give gear equal to normal or heroic Uldir. If you get REALLY LUCKY and get a titanforge, whoop dee doo. You can get those in mythics too, and it's likely to be the only one you get.
arms for life...
Although Shadow is garbanzo, I'm still enjoying it to a degree in raids. Moreso in AoE fights as there it's a higher skillcap on DPS, single target is boring for the most part though. I've been getting into healing as holy and that's really fun since it's new to me. Especially healing higher keys like 7
8 and up where things start getting more iffy.
09/11/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Shinesoclean
This might sound stupid. But do people actually find their characters fun? I mean fun in the sense of "man I can't wait to get off work to play my character all night" or "I cant sleep cus all i can think about is playing my character"

I ask this because I stopped playing this guy to level up a demon hunter. It was "fun" for a little bit but now I hit lvl 110 and now all on thinking of is "is there another class I will enjoy more?" Just because the last thing I want to do is spend 10 more hours to level something that I dont find highly enjoyable.

But I also can some to terms if such classes dont really exist as I've played warlock, shaman and rogue to 110 and none of them had really made me excited to play wow and excited to progress then.

Yes and I found that in three classes, Hunter, Warlock and Paladin
People really seem to be enjoying playing their Forum Trolls.
I haven't had a main since MoP precisely because no class feels fun anymore. They're each something to do for a little while, but once you get bored of the Dance Dance Revolution Rotation of that class... it's just boring. It would be nice if combat were a creative, reactive thing rather than a repetitious rhythm-game.
Ehhh I used to love Deathbolt too, until it got nerfed into the ground.

Legion's iteration of both Affliction and Destruction were way, way, way more fun to me with Drain Soul being base line, Dimensional Rifts, etc.

To each there own I guess, but I definitely feel that Warlock has taken a huge step backward this expansion, like many other classes/specs.
There's a concept in "happiness research" called "Flow" or "Entering Flow". Research it. Basically, it involves intense focus and concentration in the present moment, merging action and awareness, loss of reflective self-consciousness, sense of personal control over your activity, distortion of time, and finally the activity in and of itself is rewarding.

You get to this state by performing a task that you are very good at, but is challenging enough to not be completely boring. Your goal state for the class you play to experience your class being "fun" has essentially been scientifically researched in other activities. Video games are a means of providing flow to the players. If you aren't entering that state with your character, it may be how you are playing it, how difficult/easy the character is to play, what you are doing while you are playing, and other factors.

If you're interested in achieving flow, then research it and think back to times in your life where you have achieved it. That's really what you are looking for. This game could provide it, possibly, or some other activity could, too.

For me, the flow is disjointed in WoW. I like my class, but the activities I engage in may or may not be letting me achieve that flow based on the game mechanics and other factors.
09/12/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Nillah

Uh... so? You realize 340 gear is easily obtainable anyway, right?

Annnnd stopped reading. Come back when you understand it's about both factions getting equal stuff, not before.
09/12/2018 08:59 AMPosted by Ythisens
I've touched a couple of specs so far this expansion and I'm having fun with Ret Pally (shocking isn't it?), Holy Paladin, Blood Death Knight, Affliction, and Balance.

I'd already rolled an Affliction lock after leaving work Friday - it's now almost caught up to my rogue. But, I'm a little concerned about some specs (including Balance) that are drastically underperforming and just not being brought. And, after reading logs, some weird logic was brought into the PvE tuning. Nerf the performers, slightly buff the underperformers. I get that Blizzard wants to bring everyone to the middle of the pack (i.e. the same damage). But, that's not actually how it is working.

The classes/specs in desperate need of a fix are just not being brought to anything of consequence outside of dungeons. Even if we ignore my personal experience (anecdotal as it may be), hardcore mythic raiders, mythic+, and relevant logs support this.

I'm greatly concerned that the logic here is "wait and see" when evidence is proving the theory generated by theorycrafters (i.e. sims) correct. Yes, we're following some established precedent where tuning happens just before mythic raids are released. Got it. No question. However just because it is tradition doesn't mean it is good.

It is highlighting to me that the tools that model damage for the internal staff are not the same as those created by the community. And, consequently, this leads the community to the conclusions ahead of the folks creating the math in the code (i.e. developers). It seems opposite to me, as I'd expect the developers to have a more robust tool in house (by QA, class designers, whomever does it in house) to already answer this question. I know there are millions of players out there, but there aren't millions of theorycrafters out there. Hundreds, sure. Thousands, possibly.

Those folks are acting on what is already released and reverse-engineering the math and the code to come up with the data. It takes longer to do that than to build testing suites with intimate present and planned future knowledge. It should mean that folks in-house know this before everyone else does. Yet, we keep seeing a disturbing pattern where that just simply isn't the case.

To me, this highlights a bigger problem: Does Blizzard not consider it a priority? After 14 years and more promises to do better, I have yet to see anything that suggests this is a priority. Think about it from another perspective, Blizzard specifically espoused the logic they want other players to bring the player not the class. Well, right now, players are forced to bring the class because good player or no, there's no way some specs can actually do anything useful beyond warm a bench. That's not fun and that's not in keeping with your own philosophy.

Try playing feral, a fire mage, or a shadow priest in any of those high end PvE settings and tell me you think players should be happy that they are terrible. A sloppy drunk hunter missing some of their rotations could probably do more than a perfectly sober feral druid, fire mage, or shadow priest executing rotations perfectly.
09/11/2018 07:49 PMPosted by Shinesoclean
This might sound stupid. But do people actually find their characters fun? I mean fun in the sense of "man I can't wait to get off work to play my character all night" or "I cant sleep cus all i can think about is playing my character"

I ask this because I stopped playing this guy to level up a demon hunter. It was "fun" for a little bit but now I hit lvl 110 and now all on thinking of is "is there another class I will enjoy more?" Just because the last thing I want to do is spend 10 more hours to level something that I dont find highly enjoyable.

But I also can some to terms if such classes dont really exist as I've played warlock, shaman and rogue to 110 and none of them had really made me excited to play wow and excited to progress then.

Every expansion classes and specs change. Each expansion, I have to go through and find which spec I enjoy. Back in WOTLK, I absolutely loved shadow priest. At the beginning of cataclysm, I loved discipline, and moved into protector paladin later into the expansion. In mists, I fell in love with unholy death knights in addition to sticking with protection paladin. In warlords, it was prot paladin, unholy, and I added beast mastery into the mix. I also started toying around with demonology. In legion, I hated protection paladin, but I still enjoyed BM and unholy. Affliction was really fun, too, but I never played it much at max level.

Now, I've fallen away from raiding, but I'm playing BM and getting back into demonology and I'm loving them both so far. As the game changes, expect your preferences to change as well.
I'm a huge fan of Survival Hunter after finding the right talents for my playstyle (prior to finding them I was highly critical) - I enjoy pets. I think it really depends on the playstyle you enjoy, though.
No, im a half dk compared to mop's times.
i'm really enjoying enhancement shaman! that being said i really do miss gust of winds for ele but that's secondary to my main spec
I have every class, more or less, at 110+ (no mage, no priest, my eternal shame...), and I find that I honestly enjoy most of them. I absolutely don't enjoy every spec (I hate you Unholy DK, I hate you so much), but typically each class has a little something for me somewhere.

Honestly couldn't say which I enjoy most, though. Top 3 are probably my DH, Rogue and Hunter. When I tank I absolutely love tanking on my Blood DK, and I really enjoyed healing on MW monk. So yeah. I enjoy my class.

I realize you mentioned not wanting to spend 10+ hours leveling something else to only find you don't enjoy it, and that's legit. Have you tried the class trials? They help give you a nice introduction to the playstyle of a certain spec. Might help you save some time.
Yes, absolutely. I have loved various classes over the early years. Vanilla was Arms Warrior, Feral Druid and Holy Priest. BC and WotLK was Prot Paladin. Cata was Ele Shaman.

But after that? I have loved this Warlock, varying over time, ever since MoP, and specifically loved Destro above all else, though in MoP I also loved Dark Apotheosis. MoP was the high point, Legions launch period was the low point, but I never swapped from Destro.

Not until now anyway. With Demo actually being fun with a variety of demons and no Demonic Empowerment anywhere I decided BFA was the perfect time for a change of pace and I am now maining Demo Lock.

And I am having a blast.

As someone above said, once you stop worrying so much about numbers and play for actual fun the game gets a lot better. I'm in a casual guild, I don't care about being competitive. Because I love Demo I'm performing really well in fact. I had no idea Demo was simming terribly, and when I found out my reaction was NOT anger, disappointment, depression or whatever. It instead filled me with glee because hey, I'm doing really well as is and those numbers meant I was looking forward fo future buffs, which always feels good