Reorigination Array, another example of comm failures

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
This WoWHead article just came across my feed, describing in detail how the "Reorigination Array" effect on AA pieces from Uldir works.

TL;DR - Old content would sometimes apply a raid wide mob debuff on a set schedule, and it was applied game-wide. This, instead, is a naturally evolving nerf to the raid, attached to your personal progress.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287086/the-effect-of-reorigination-array-in-uldir

It's kind of clever, I don't see what the problem is with a game-wide static effect, but it's something else that you can earn. However the article itself illustrates that the team is being too clever by half with this system:

• The tooltip doesn't describe what the actual effect is, you have to get the buff to see it.
  • There's no explanation of stacking effects with dupes on other AA pieces or with trinket effects (this is a broader issue with Azerite Armor effects).
  • The "hidden quest" system that bolsters this effect over time is just that: hidden. Looks like wowhead got this stuff from datamining. This should be visible in-game.

If I'm relying on a 3rd party site to datamine core game mechanics and explain their functionality, there's a problem.

These BfA systems are complex, but were delivered with zero communication effort. The overall sense of frustration coming from the community is, in my mind, attached not to disappointment with in-game features, but rather the team's seeming inability to tell us anything about them until after the fact.

Based on my own corporate experience, I'd venture to guess we're seeing the effects of an internal comms breakdown between game design and community management. If Design doesn't send specifics to Community, and/or if Community doesn't maintain equivalent access to systems in development, feedback suffers and you get the fustercluck we've seen lately:

• Class-specific buffs - What happened to "bring the player not the class?"
  • Azerite Traits - I still don't know if any of them stack
  • AA tradeability - A blue-guided thread woulda nipped this one
  • Release schedule - Mythic+, PVP, and Raid all same week?
  • Warfronts - Hype machine + unexplained swap timeline + faction imbalance for early gear availability
  • Mythic+ chest item count - there's zero chance you didn't know that the multiple piece drop system was expected by the community
  • Mythic+ chest item level - It's so confusing, Ythisens had to correct himself. Why is there a distinction in the first place?
  • Reorigination Array - see above

As my post count can attest, I'm not prolific in the forums, but I wanted to get my thoughts out on what I have seen as a series of missteps from a company I like that typically handles these things with more proficiency.

Any of you guys see things differently?

#BetaForAzeroth
Watch Bellular's later video, or maybe one or two other such, his explanation of the state of the players' view of the game is pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

TL;DR: BfA is a Legion minus the bits Blizzard thought the players were complaining about and with the core progression mechanic, AP and the gear it relates to, dumbed down in flexibility .. and two new mechanics highly hyped, Expeditions whose only reason to exist is the AP grind and Warfronts whose purpose is even less clear especially in view of the nerfbombing Blizzard did on it yesterday.

And yes, Expeditions is a total mess due to a lack of IN GAME explanations and misinformation (the table's progress bar is NOT reflecting turnins at all, or only superficially, it's showing TIME) .. not to mention the stuff Blizzard put out some weeks ago is highly ambiguous and unclear on timelines and even WTF this system is supposed to be for.
09/12/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Trollingyou
and Warfronts whose purpose is even less clear especially in view of the nerfbombing Blizzard did on it yesterday.
One of the strangest parts of warfronts is that the Stromgarde scenario was first datamined back during MoP. If they've seriously been spitballing with WF idea for 5-6 years, how is it so confused as to what its identity even is?
09/12/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Kyveli
If they've seriously been spitballing with WF idea for 5-6 years, how is it so confused as to what its identity even is?

You answer your own question. It was never fully fleshed out, or perceived as weak/lacking, and so never got released.

Azerite Armor itself seems to be the realization of an even older system called "Path of the Titans," discussed publicly in late-stage Lich King. I think it's pretty obvious now as to why that system languished on the shelf for so long. It probably shoulda stayed there.
09/12/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Trollingyou
Watch Bellular's later video, or maybe one or two other such, his explanation of the state of the players' view of the game is pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned.

TL;DR: BfA is a Legion minus the bits Blizzard thought the players were complaining about and with the core progression mechanic, AP and the gear it relates to, dumbed down in flexibility .. and two new mechanics highly hyped, Expeditions whose only reason to exist is the AP grind and Warfronts whose purpose is even less clear especially in view of the nerfbombing Blizzard did on it yesterday.

And yes, Expeditions is a total mess due to a lack of IN GAME explanations and misinformation (the table's progress bar is NOT reflecting turnins at all, or only superficially, it's showing TIME) .. not to mention the stuff Blizzard put out some weeks ago is highly ambiguous and unclear on timelines and even WTF this system is supposed to be for.

Well now, don't forget that island expeditions also have a bunch of vanity rewards like pets, toys and mounts..... on a tiny RNG drop chance that's so low many players aren't even aware they exist (odd they didn't attach it to the island currency vendor, since doubloons seem pretty worthless otherwise most of the time). Of course, Azerite gear being a flop is the big, primary problem they're dealing with across the board, but it still kind of amazes me how badly they rely on punishing RNG to stretch out current content beyond what it can support, when they could instead leverage the vanity rewards with a sensible system to make people enjoy these minor expansion features a bit more.
Ok, this has been the case since Vanilla, but Blizzard has said they won't outright tell you everything. Some stuff is just meant to be puzzled together.

This is an RPG after all. You're supposed to look into things in game, find clues and figure things out. It's part of the puzzle elements that RPG game have.

From an immersion standpoint : this is Titan technology no one on Azeroth really understands all too well. We're wearing discarded Titan armor that has functions our races have never encountered before.

The reorigination array is part of that.
09/12/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Kyveli
how is it so confused as to what its identity even is?

It's not ? It's a PvE scenario. It's been said to be a PvE scenario.
09/12/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Beraaht
It's not ? It's a PvE scenario. It's been said to be a PvE scenario.

But the entire thing screams for a PVP mode, hence his comment. It's extremely similar to Wintergrasp. I was honestly surprised when they explained that it would be a PVE only thing. Later I was disappointed with...well just about everything else.
Did a blue answer this post and subsequently deleted it? The icon indicates as such but there's nothing in this thread.

All valid points too.
I came back to thank him for the reply (never had a blue response before!), but I see it's missing too.

Grabbing screenshots from blue tracker for posterity.
I would also like clarification on how you get a bounty on you. I know after 10 kills you get assassin. But I've gotten a bounty on me just by doing world quests and killing 1 alliance. This is with no assassin buff. I don't even know when the bounty popped up on me because I didn't notice it until an alliance warrior charged me. I have also been in a party where we killed tons of alliance and only 3 of us had bounties. One of the people with us was unable to get the bounty on him for 2 hours. We cycled through players entering the group, getting a bounty, then killing 10 players for the title, then leaving and still no bounty on this one person.

I asked for clarification from other players on mmo champ and in the pvp forums here but no one seems to have any idea what triggers it.

Theres just so much this expansion thats unclear and has not been communicated to the players. We are all just guessing and theorizing how basic mechanics of the game works.
09/12/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Krakerjack
If I'm relying on a 3rd party site to datamine core game mechanics and explain their functionality, there's a problem.

The funny part is: if the third party site was wrong Blizzard CS would say "oh well it hasn't been working that way for ages, duh" even though there is no way for us to really know.
Deleted for a quick edit :) Sorry for the confusion :P

09/12/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Krakerjack
This WoWHead article just came across my feed, describing in detail how the "Reorigination Array" effect on AA pieces from Uldir works.

TL;DR - Old content would sometimes apply a raid wide mob debuff on a set schedule, and it was applied game-wide. This, instead, is a naturally evolving nerf to the raid, attached to your personal progress.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287086/the-effect-of-reorigination-array-in-uldir

It's kind of clever, I don't see what the problem is with a game-wide static effect, but it's something else that you can earn. However the article itself illustrates that the team is being too clever by half with this system:

The tooltip doesn't describe what the actual effect is, you have to get the buff to see it.
There's no explanation of stacking effects with dupes on other AA pieces or with trinket effects (this is a broader issue with Azerite Armor effects).
The "hidden quest" system that bolsters this effect over time is just that: hidden. Looks like wowhead got this stuff from datamining. This should be visible in-game.

It is a clever system but I do have some insight to share on how it works. Apologies for the lengthy description but I wanted to explain it given what you pointed out now that I have some information to share on it.

So Reorigination Array is a secondary bonus to traits from Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. When those are selected on a piece of Azerite gear that is equipped it provides Reorigination Array. This is a passive buff that is always up while you're inside the instance. This also doesn't stack with multiple traits that provide Reorigination Array.

There is a Reorigination Array hidden quest associated to your character that tracks and gradually improves this buff over time as you progress week over week within Uldir. Every week there is essentially a weekly quest that tracks your kills, and once you kill 3 bosses in Uldir you gain a stack added to Reorigination Array. You do not need a piece for this to track your kills. So if you killed 3 bosses last week and got your piece this week with Archive of the Titans, don't worry as you'd correctly be at 2 stacks if you killed 3 bosses this week as well. This stacks up to 10 and each stack provides 75 of your highest secondary stat. This also tracks regardless of difficulty so you can even track and obtain the items with these traits on Raid Finder.

Once you obtain a piece you'll notice the Reorigination Array tooltip changes depending on some certain conditional statuses. If you haven't killed any bosses this week in Uldir it will read additionally "Defeat 3 more powerful foes in Uldir to increase the effectiveness of Reorigination Array.". This will be under the current bonus it provides if you have earned any stacks already. As you kill bosses for your weekly count you'll see this counter go down until it disappears as you've earned your 3 needed kills for the week and you'll instantly get that next stack.
So there are a couple of traits on the Uldir azerite pieces which are very strong for Uldir, and increasingly strong over time, but you only get that extra power in Uldir?

It's like a mini raid tier bonus, in a sense.

Ok.

Some of these new systems and ideas seem over-designed to me, though. It's like they are trying to be too clever for their own good, which leads to certain things being counter-intuitive and/or invisible to players.
I have been playing for 12 years, reading blue posts and mmo champ summaries, youtube videos, twitter, etc. I am strong in math and logic skills and have a good job. Oddly, I had never heard of this feature and I still dont understand.