Reorigination Array, another example of comm failures

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
Appreciate the insight, Ythisens.

There's a whole other half of a post there. Feel free to, y'know, chime in on any of that. Lack of comms on critical feedback was kinda my main point...
do you need the Archive of the titans or laser matrix trait equipped to earn them or can you have another trait on that piece of gear and when you switch you will still have it ??
09/12/2018 01:36 PMPosted by Ythisens
Deleted for a quick edit :) Sorry for the confusion :P

09/12/2018 09:55 AMPosted by Krakerjack
This WoWHead article just came across my feed, describing in detail how the "Reorigination Array" effect on AA pieces from Uldir works.

TL;DR - Old content would sometimes apply a raid wide mob debuff on a set schedule, and it was applied game-wide. This, instead, is a naturally evolving nerf to the raid, attached to your personal progress.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=287086/the-effect-of-reorigination-array-in-uldir

It's kind of clever, I don't see what the problem is with a game-wide static effect, but it's something else that you can earn. However the article itself illustrates that the team is being too clever by half with this system:

The tooltip doesn't describe what the actual effect is, you have to get the buff to see it.
There's no explanation of stacking effects with dupes on other AA pieces or with trinket effects (this is a broader issue with Azerite Armor effects).
The "hidden quest" system that bolsters this effect over time is just that: hidden. Looks like wowhead got this stuff from datamining. This should be visible in-game.

If I'm relying on a 3rd party site to datamine core game mechanics and explain their functionality, there's a problem.

It is a clever system but I do have some insight to share on how it works. Apologies for the lengthy description but I wanted to explain it given what you pointed out now that I have some information to share on it.

So Reorigination Array is a secondary bonus to traits from Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. When those are selected on a piece of Azerite gear that is equipped it provides Reorigination Array. This is a passive buff that is always up while you're inside the instance. This also doesn't stack with multiple traits that provide Reorigination Array.

There is a Reorigination Array hidden quest associated to your character that tracks and gradually improves this buff over time as you progress week over week within Uldir. Every week there is essentially a weekly quest that tracks your kills, and once you kill 3 bosses in Uldir you gain a stack added to Reorigination Array. You do not need a piece for this to track your kills. So if you killed 3 bosses last week and got your piece this week with Archive of the Titans, don't worry as you'd correctly be at 2 stacks if you killed 3 bosses this week as well. This stacks up to 10 and each stack provides 75 of your highest secondary stat. This also tracks regardless of difficulty so you can even track and obtain the items with these traits on Raid Finder.

Once you obtain a piece you'll notice the Reorigination Array tooltip changes depending on some certain conditional statuses. If you haven't killed any bosses this week in Uldir it will read additionally "Defeat 3 more powerful foes in Uldir to increase the effectiveness of Reorigination Array.". This will be under the current bonus it provides if you have earned any stacks already. As you kill bosses for your weekly count you'll see this counter go down until it disappears as you've earned your 3 needed kills for the week and you'll instantly get that next stack.

Make sure you got the correct chart
Thank you for that, very informative. Anyway to get some clarification on how traits on Azerite will or will not stack. Besides testing (either with my own gear or from 3rd party testing) there's a been a lot of confusion on how trait stacking works. I've gotten a really good idea of what does or doesn't stack myself but some clarification I think would really make a lot of people happy.

This WoWHead article just came across my feed, describing in detail how the "Reorigination Array" effect on AA pieces from Uldir works.

TL;DR - Old content would sometimes apply a raid wide mob debuff on a set schedule, and it was applied game-wide. This, instead, is a naturally evolving nerf to the raid, attached to your personal progress.

It's kind of clever, I don't see what the problem is with a game-wide static effect, but it's something else that you can earn. However the article itself illustrates that the team is being too clever by half with this system:

The tooltip doesn't describe what the actual effect is, you have to get the buff to see it.
There's no explanation of stacking effects with dupes on other AA pieces or with trinket effects (this is a broader issue with Azerite Armor effects).
The "hidden quest" system that bolsters this effect over time is just that: hidden. Looks like wowhead got this stuff from datamining. This should be visible in-game.

If I'm relying on a 3rd party site to datamine core game mechanics and explain their functionality, there's a problem.

It is a clever system but I do have some insight to share on how it works. Apologies for the lengthy description but I wanted to explain it given what you pointed out now that I have some information to share on it.

So Reorigination Array is a secondary bonus to traits from Archive of the Titans or Laser Matrix. When those are selected on a piece of Azerite gear that is equipped it provides Reorigination Array. This is a passive buff that is always up while you're inside the instance. This also doesn't stack with multiple traits that provide Reorigination Array.

There is a Reorigination Array hidden quest associated to your character that tracks and gradually improves this buff over time as you progress week over week within Uldir. Every week there is essentially a weekly quest that tracks your kills, and once you kill 3 bosses in Uldir you gain a stack added to Reorigination Array. You do not need a piece for this to track your kills. So if you killed 3 bosses last week and got your piece this week with Archive of the Titans, don't worry as you'd correctly be at 2 stacks if you killed 3 bosses this week as well. This stacks up to 10 and each stack provides 75 of your highest secondary stat. This also tracks regardless of difficulty so you can even track and obtain the items with these traits on Raid Finder.

Once you obtain a piece you'll notice the Reorigination Array tooltip changes depending on some certain conditional statuses. If you haven't killed any bosses this week in Uldir it will read additionally "Defeat 3 more powerful foes in Uldir to increase the effectiveness of Reorigination Array.". This will be under the current bonus it provides if you have earned any stacks already. As you kill bosses for your weekly count you'll see this counter go down until it disappears as you've earned your 3 needed kills for the week and you'll instantly get that next stack.

This is Terribly Clever .... I will completely hand that to you. Sad reality ... Azerite Gear is anything but balanced. If i am unlucky enough to get Azerite to drop in my non-stacked slot. This wont be a huge DPS loss for me. If it does ... it wont be worth using until 2 more weeks ?

What happened to the mantra of seeking out iLvL vs Tier Gear?
Why is it hidden and not just a quest we can do to further empower our character?

How stupid. What a missed opportunity.
Super convoluted and hidden way to get ....

More passive buffs.

Azerite is garbage
Thanks for the detailed explanation, I was wondering what that was.
Awesome. Yet another buff groups will require as mandatory that is literally based on if you were lucky enough to get an azerite piece to drop. Thanks blizz. Ingenious.
It's also annoying as it seems like the Uldir traits will essentially be mandatory very quickly in Uldir but be subpar outside.
09/12/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Zaelsynth
do you need the Archive of the titans or laser matrix trait equipped to earn them or can you have another trait on that piece of gear and when you switch you will still have it ??

Nope! You don't need to have a piece with the trait to earn progress. So if you complete the quest for 5 weeks on Normal killing Taloc, MOTHER, and Fetid and then finally get say the plate helm with Archive of the Titans on week 6 from Taloc, then when you select Archive of the Titans and equip it it should show you have 5 stacks of Reorigination Array, and the tooltip should read that you need to kill 2 more bosses as you killed Taloc already for the week.

The progress is character based so if you get a better Azerite piece that provides Reorigination Array then you still have the same stack level. So there's no punishment for swapping items at all.

I have never heard of this until today. O.o
09/12/2018 10:11 AMPosted by Kyveli
09/12/2018 10:05 AMPosted by Trollingyou
and Warfronts whose purpose is even less clear especially in view of the nerfbombing Blizzard did on it yesterday.
One of the strangest parts of warfronts is that the Stromgarde scenario was first datamined back during MoP. If they've seriously been spitballing with WF idea for 5-6 years, how is it so confused as to what its identity even is?

I'd imagine that that bunch of devs, who were reasonably competent, mothballed it because it didn't work out, and this current dev team (biting my tongue so I don't get another forum ban for "defamation") are completely devoid of original ideas and are just stuck digging though the archives for something, anything, they can add that's "new."
09/12/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Ythisens
09/12/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Zaelsynth

Nope! You don't need to have a piece with the trait to earn progress. So if you complete the quest for 5 weeks on Normal killing Taloc, MOTHER, and Fetid and then finally get say the plate helm with Archive of the Titans on week 6 from Taloc, then when you select Archive of the Titans and equip it it should show you have 5 stacks of Reorigination Array, and the tooltip should read that you need to kill 2 more bosses as you killed Taloc already for the week.

The progress is character based so if you get a better Azerite piece that provides Reorigination Array then you still have the same stack level. So there's no punishment for swapping items at all.

So here is what I honestly think about this "Reorigination Array".
think of the Azerite Armor System as terrible rancid meal that you cooked for your family. They flat out tell you it is so bad and bland so instead of cooking them a new meal you just add salt and pepper and serve them again.
that's how I feel about this so called "Reorigination Array"
09/12/2018 02:09 PMPosted by Ythisens

Is there a reason this isn't account based? Azerite catchup is bad enough, but at least there with enough effort you can catch up to where other people are. This gives alts a permanent disadvantage with these buffs.
This... makes no sense.

The entire idea of buffing people/nerfing bosses as raids go on is so that it'll be easier to defeat them.

But, with this system.. the only way to earn that buff is to actually defeat the bosses...

The people who can stack this buff up and beat the bosses.. don't need the buff to make the fight easier.

New people coming in to the raid will have 0 stacks of this buff, regardless of how long the raid has been out.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like yet another dropped ball.
I can see it now..

LF5M Uldir Normal Pug. Must have 360 ilvl and Reorigination Array level +8 or more.
Does it stack with multiple raid members who have this Azerite trait?
09/12/2018 02:25 PMPosted by Zishir
This... makes no sense.

The entire idea of buffing people/nerfing bosses as raids go on is so that it'll be easier to defeat them.

But, with this system.. the only way to earn that buff is to actually defeat the bosses...

The people who can stack this buff up and beat the bosses.. don't need the buff to make the fight easier.

New people coming in to the raid will have 0 stacks of this buff, regardless of how long the raid has been out.

Unless I'm missing something, this seems like yet another dropped ball.

Unless the logic is "Well, you killed a boss, so we're going to reward you by making subsequent farming easier later". That's the angle I'm assuming this is taking.