Ranged dps = life on easy mode

General Discussion
All that melee have ever had to do on virtually EVERY boss until like MoP or WoD:
1) Don't be in front of the boss. Occasionally don't be behind (when said boss has a tail swipe)
2) Interupt <insert boss ability name>
3) Let the range/healers handle all the mechanics.
09/16/2018 05:40 AMPosted by Grímgor
you have no idea what you are talking about. This is the most melee friendly expansion i ever play so far.

Ah, I see you have yet to do Vectis and Mythrax. Your wake up call is coming real soon buddy. Real soon.
09/16/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Viviornitier
Not sure if the OP is trolling or not.

If you're not, you should try out a caster (besides affliction warlocks).
You'll know how stressful it is. This tier is melee friendly.

09/16/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Dalrange
Only applies to bm.

Also affliction warlocks.

Affliction locks need to cast shadowbolt, haunt, and unstable affliction which all have cast times and are frequently interrupted.

To get our burst window correct we need to get haunt, dark soul, agony x10, corruption, siphon life, dark glare, unstable affiction x5, deathbolt, and phantom singularity to line up perfectly.

With just a few interruptions this process is borked for 3 minutes before you can even try again. Until then it’s back to mediocre damage.
Yeah, maybe pre-Wod before they nerfed the !@#$ out of caster and healer mobility.
09/16/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Rubmykeg
Sit back 45 yards on lawn chair while melee and tanks bob and weave

If you want to stand 45 yards back, caster classes are there for you.
Seriously man quit clowning
Those saying affliction locks fall into this category have no played one in BFA, I had been affliction since switching to it in wod, in legion especially I was op, in BFA I switched out of the spec due to survivability plummeting and cast times getting so much worse.

As far as the topic as a whole, if everyone just did their roles, and stopped !@#$%ing and attacking other players and shaming them in dungeons and raids, the game wouldn't be so damn volatile, it might actually be fun, instead of a bunch of angsty know it all teens in a circle jerk
09/16/2018 07:01 AMPosted by Dertbag
09/16/2018 06:27 AMPosted by Viviornitier
Not sure if the OP is trolling or not.

If you're not, you should try out a caster (besides affliction warlocks).
You'll know how stressful it is. This tier is melee friendly.

Also affliction warlocks.

Affliction locks need to cast shadowbolt, haunt, and unstable affliction which all have cast times and are frequently interrupted.

To get our burst window correct we need to get haunt, dark soul, agony x10, corruption, siphon life, dark glare, unstable affiction x5, deathbolt, and phantom singularity to line up perfectly.

With just a few interruptions this process is borked for 3 minutes before you can even try again. Until then it’s back to mediocre damage.

ok, i get your point.
But why are afflocks the only casters that are up there with melee?
I read it was because they're a dot class.
Or is it just because they're overtuned compared to other casters?
Life is a lot easier as melee, especially when some of them have defensive cds that allows you to ignore mechanics while still doing damage to the boss like cloak for rogues and bubble for paladins. I have a lot more difficult playing rdps.
I'm pretty sure we've all played melee and rdps. rdps def have more up time on bosses. lets use uldir boss examples

taloc - melee has to run out with bloods and lose up time, while rdps can still attack if they get blood

mother - wind blows melee slightly out of range causing a dps loss, while range can still use instants from range. this is probably equally annoying for rdps and melee

fetid - melee gets knocked back and switch adds running to them. range just puts their back to a wall to negate knockback and just tab target adds

vectis - vectis isnt too bad for rdps or melee. melee prob has slight advantage this fight

zek - melee have to run out with chain lite and switch adds. rdps just easily keeps 5 yards and tab targets adds

zul - melee switch adds and have to run to them(bloodhexer) if there is no DK to pull them in, while range just tab target

mythrax - melee has to stay perfectly 5 yards from each other, while range have the whole room for spreading out

ghuun - melee has to run out with explosion debuff and dodge roof collapse, while rdps can still dps with instants while running out and have a way eaiser time dodging roof collapse at a max range from it. melee( warriors, DH, monk) usually have to run the orb too, the only ranged that usually runs it is mage

all that being said, I still prefer melee. playing rdps is very boring to me, but i understand different ppl prefer different things.
09/16/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Viviornitier
09/16/2018 07:01 AMPosted by Dertbag

ok, i get your point.

Overturned? Not likely.

The reason is simply that Aff's cast times are relatively short next to Destruction's. UA, Haunt and SB are all shorter than a backdrafted incinerate. Heck, Immolate might even be. My SB atm is a 1.4s cast, incinerate, 1.7. So even Destro's maintainance Dot can be interrupted for movement, whereas Affect can always have two dots at least, 3 if running SL, regardless of movement.

It's nit overtuned, ut suffers the least from mechanics.
Now just imagine if sinister strike/tiger palm/rockbiter etc. had a cast time and would cancel if you moved (and did essentially no damage). That's what being a caster is like! yay!
Lol, somebody got owned by a BM Hunter on the DPS meter... or maybe in a BG? Both?
NGL I really miss my BM hunter sometimes. All these annoying swirlies on the ground as melee get annoying with the constant in & out. Refuse to do the rep grind again though so it is what it is.
09/16/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Bakm
Funny you say range has it easy mode when quite literally melee AUTO attacks, you know the thing that requires zero interaction, is usually in the top 3 highest source of damage for them lol.

Hell, I've seen auto attacks actually be the highest source of damage for some melee classes during boss fights.

#notskillful

Ranged is just as mindless! Hit 2-3 skills and win!
09/16/2018 05:50 AMPosted by Bakm
Funny you say range has it easy mode when quite literally melee AUTO attacks, you know the thing that requires zero interaction, is usually in the top 3 highest source of damage for them lol.

Hell, I've seen auto attacks actually be the highest source of damage for some melee classes during boss fights.

#notskillful

God really? That actually makes me sad remembering playing my stupid sin rogue and how much I was spamming the mutilate button and hearing I NEED MORE ENERGY

what a boring !@#$ing playstyle

LOL no. The current expansion is more like the most melee friendly. You have to be a masochist to play anything but a frost mage or boomkin in pvp and hunters play stupid BM for a reason. In PVE unless you have a ton of instants or can move while casting it's a nightmare. Again. Same classes are usually best.

I kill ranged on my rogue without cooldowns on the most nerfed spec this expansion in PVP. It's actually faceroll. I die when I have no trinket and another melee uses his broken instant cast stun on me. Usually a pally. Horrible game design with kiting broken and melee having way too much mobility. You are a WW MONK. You are the top offender. Not that other classes like rogue, warrior, feral aren't nearly as bad.

This ain't old WoW son. This is Activision WoW. Things like kiting don't even exist now.
09/16/2018 07:40 AMPosted by Crideon
09/16/2018 07:19 AMPosted by Viviornitier

ok, i get your point.

Overturned? Not likely.

The reason is simply that Aff's cast times are relatively short next to Destruction's. UA, Haunt and SB are all shorter than a backdrafted incinerate. Heck, Immolate might even be. My SB atm is a 1.4s cast, incinerate, 1.7. So even Destro's maintainance Dot can be interrupted for movement, whereas Affect can always have two dots at least, 3 if running SL, regardless of movement.

It's nit overtuned, ut suffers the least from mechanics.

If you are very mindful about when to start ramping up for DG+DB it isn't really a problem but good lord if you somehow !@#$ up that window of burst it's pretty punishing.
I haven't played a ranged class this xpac, but from my lock last xpac I have to agree.

Tons of cleaves and whirlwinds and splashes from trash packs. Directional cleaves with no ground indicator suck hard, as it can be really hard to tell what direction is being faced in the mass of animations.

There are some mobs that are particularly awful to melee, like that guy in KR with a zero CD bladestorm.

And don't even get me started on being melee with skittish right now.

When white hits are accounting for 20% of your dmg, you know you're broken. When melee have to move, they're not punished. When ranged have to move, they're doing zero dps. Ranged are the ones dealing with most mechanics as well. There's a reason most guilds are always struggling to find ranged.

You're deliberately being obtuse.