Leveling in WoW... share your thoughts! :)

General Discussion
I recently returned from a long break after WoD dropped. But to me leveling seems much faster than it was when I last played... It hasnt bothered me in the least. I've actually been inspired to level more alts because of it.

However, back in the day you could run dungeons over and over and that did seem a bit quicker than questing is now. That seems to have completely changed though. I dont do dungeons now unless its absolutely needed for a quest. They are just too slow, too difficult, and dont award enough XP or gear to make it worth the time.

Now what I am finding to be a major dissappointment and a big turn off is all the gates. Everything is gated now. There is a long grind for everything. And its not even a fun grind. Its all repetitive as hell WQ's and dailies to get !@#$ you should already have access to such as the new races, flying, hell you cant even advance in some quest lines without your rep being at a certain point first. What a joke.

My current highest toon is my 116 paladin. I stopped rushing for end game because there is nothing there for me. I hate rep grinds. I hate repetitive dailies and WQ's. What is keeping me going now is running old content for xmog, pets, and mounts as well as leveling professions and looking for creative ways to outsmart other players in world pvp.
When has leveling ever been what its supposed to be?

As someone who has leveled a TON of alts over his WoW career, I can't remember a single time I was excited or had a good time doing it.

And, its just gotten longer and worse as the expacs pile up.

And I better not hear a single person talk about Vanilla leveling being good when it was the worst of all.

Honestly, I'd just buy boosts from now on. I know its 60 bucks, but if there is one piece of advice I can get people is leveling alts will burn you out. I would always hard level another alt or 2 and by the time I got to the content I actually wanted to do, I was beginning to be burnt out and quit soon after.
I really wish it would take longer to get to max level. I miss the weeks on end of leveling, and when it meant enough for people to gain 1 level that they'd say "ding" in gchat. Now it's like a few days for even a casual player. :-/
I love end-game content as well, but would prefer the leveling part to be more.
Garbage... Is there any other way to describe it?
09/22/2018 09:13 PMPosted by Trelanna
It would be nice if I got stronger by leveling instead of weaker.

Yeah, this is the one thing that puzzles me. The mobs during my quest seem to level with me as I level. On one hand that's a good thing because it means I will always have a good return on XP so my levelling is strong.

On the other hand, it also means I might not get out of a quest I'm stuck on because the quest boss will always level with me. Getting better gear -- or at least THINKING first before rushing ahead -- will help me get past that, but it also means I can't help weaker members of my guild who are also struggling.
I leveled a Warlock from level 1 - 120 this expansion. I haven't played this game since The Burning Crusade.

My experience with leveling was mixed, but I overall thought it was fairly enjoyable. Everyone talks about how it is so slow now, but since I joined after the apparent recent nerfs to XP gain, it seemed pretty okay to me. I managed to hit level 120 in 4.5 days /played, which admittedly was a large amount of time to commit. But I'm also probably slow.

I think the pace of questing is totally fine. I like the idea of level scaling as well. I enjoy that I can choose to leave a zone if I'm over it or just want a change of scenery.

Mob scaling, however, felt really bad. Difficulty spikes and drops were seemingly random. One level I could tank 10 mobs at a time, whereas the next I might struggle to take on two. I had to ask myself at the beginning of each level "can I take on more or less mobs than last level?" And the differences were sometimes drastic.

One other more minor thing: it was really odd having flight from 60-80 and then suddenly not having it ever again. I realize this is locked behind pathfinder, but as a returning player that was pretty lols.

WoD areas were by far my least favorite while questing. It seemed like the maps were designed for flight, but I was grounded. Whereas the BFA zones, for example, feel fine on my grounded mount imo.
Don't level you can pick up mining and herb on a 120 toon. level it and farm 4 wow tokens and buy a boost faster, then it takes to go from 1 to 90.
09/23/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Kickyoface
Don't level you can pick up mining and herb on a 120 toon. level it and farm 4 wow tokens and buy a boost faster, then it takes to go from 1 to 90.

To be fair that's a pretty solid strategy but I feel like if players need to go that route in order to avoid leveling which is a big part of the game then i think that says a lot about WoW's current state.
I think they need to incorporate some form of XP % boost; after one level 120 get X% boost, after two, you get Y%, after your third you get another increase, and XP just keeps increasing the more alts you level.
People always say things like "leveling in it's current state" I feel what they mean is Blizz why can't I get 20 levels in a 2 hour sitting.

I am leveling a mag'har right now and I haven't found it tedious at all. It's not instantaneously 120 but neither has it felt long. People cite the 60-80 range as being bad. I leveled from 61-70 in borean tundra alone in an afternoon and a bit.

I just can't see the problem with the pacing.
09/22/2018 09:55 PMPosted by Keldör
I really wish it would take longer to get to max level. I miss the weeks on end of leveling, and when it meant enough for people to gain 1 level that they'd say "ding" in gchat. Now it's like a few days for even a casual player. :-/
I love end-game content as well, but would prefer the leveling part to be more.
Turn the xp off, if you want it to be longer. And there is nothing stopping you from typing ding in guild, gen chat, if that's what makes you feel better about yourself.
Slow, boring, plodding, pointless. Nothing you do matters until the current end game expansion. Nothing you get or learn advances you in any way, not professions nor gear. They have removed everything that did matter so you're better off boosting and skipping the garbage they've left.
09/22/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Outofgold
Just curious to see what others have to say and there opinions! Cheers!

I'm leveling this mage right now, and man is it awful (comparatively) once you hit ~116-117
Leveling is a complete snooze fest. Every time I hit another level, I don't even bat an eye because it doesn't matter. I don't get stronger because everything else levels with me.

Get rid of levels altogether and just give me more powerful gear.
I leveled a nightborne and this guy, both roughly taking 80 hours each to get to max so take that how you want.

I personally don’t care, yeah it’s a long !@# grind but it’s still nothing compared to how it used to be before heirlooms were introduced
Personally I feel like you should get a leveling boost (up to a cap) for each max-level character you have at a breakpoint above that level break. Then Heirlooms should either be significantly reduced, or removed outright.

So something like +15% bonus experience per character (up to +135%) over level X, where X is increments of 10.

Have 3 level 120s, a level 110, a level 90, and a level 70?

Congratulations. You have the following:

• A 90% XP buff until level 70.
  • A 75% XP buff from 70 to 90.
  • A 60% XP buff from 90 to 110.
  • A 15% XP buff from 110 until 120.
  • Never a bad time to build up denial.
    I like the pace of leveling in general, but with scaling it removes the sense of progression which is a key facet of RPG games. I'm within 2 levels of my last skill upgrade which makes the other 20 levels seem pointless to me.
    I got a Dark Iron dwarf into the 60-80 range and that's where it feels like the life is sucked out of you.

I honestly believe they should make EK/Kalimdor zones scale to 80.
    I find leveling from scratch extremely boring and tedious. It's probably because I have done it so many times and I am not sure what Blizzard can do to make it more interesting or appealing for me at this point. It's more of a "been there done that" scenario than a bad design scenario.
    The only thing I would like is the option to speed up the process like we used to have before the nerfs. I do not see myself leveling from scratch again no matter how many new races, allied races or carrots on sticks they may introduce.