Jaina and Sylvanas, is there any difference?

Story Forum
1 2 3 5 Next
I can think of so many ways Sylvanas is just a more action based Jaina. They really do seem to be the same person deep down, they just have a different past. The main difference I can think of is that Sylvanas has the drive to do things for herself - Although this is not too far off Jaina who does things for HUMANS, not the Alliance. Both of them are blinded by rage and are generally irrational. Sylvanas has the mentally of eradication and a world filled with her people. If you think Jaina isn’t racist, including to her own faction, I would wager that you are wrong. Tell me what you think about them and why!
I don't think you know what racism is, if you think Jaina is racist towards any races in the alliance. I would love for you to tell me which races in the alliance she is systematically opposed to, and are prejudiced against.
The only similarities between Sylvanas and Jaina are the following:

1. Each was drastically changed by the trauma they endured.

2. Each have a strong dislike for the other side.

3. People want to bone both of them.

And that's pretty much it. The main difference is that Sylvanas has fully embraced what her trauma made her, whereas Jaina is still treading ice.
One difference is Jaina failed her attempted genocide because Thrall stopped her first two tidal waves. Oh and she basically only stopped because Kalec told Jaina she wouldn't get "the D" if she drowned an entire city.

Okay that second point isn't really accurate. She stopped because Kalec told her she was acting like Arthas.
Jaina has feelings and empathy, which counts a lot in terms of relatability points, and might also make her a more flexible and inspiring leader.

They do have some neat overlap as characters though.
I've never once seen Jaina be racist to anyone in the Alliance, nor really anyone in the Horde. She has a strong dislike of the Horde after they killed her dad, nuked her city, and betrayed her trust in Dalaran. Hell, immediately after losing Theramore and succeeding Rhonin as head of the Kirin Tor, Jaina made great strides to preserve neutrality in Dalaran!

No, Jaina is almost nothing like Sylvanas. They are both action-oriented battle ready people, but the comparisons stop shortly after this. Jaina COULD have committed genocide, but since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from it. Sylvanas DID commit genocide, and will likely do it again if given the chance.

The two are near entirely unequivocal.
Jaina made great strides to preserve neutrality in Dalaran!

Jaina COULD have committed genocide, but since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from it. Sylvanas DID commit genocide, and will likely do it again if given the chance.

Just want to pop in and say that Jaina wanted to drown Orgrimmar out of revenge, and she was very clearly not "herself" at the time (extreme trauma from Theramore etc.), which is of course understandable.

However.

Sylvanas' burning of the tree was strategic and, well, at least a little bit calculated. She had a goal, and achieved it. Also, saying "could have commited genocide but didn't therefore shes better :)" is a terrible argument and you should feel very, very bad. Lastly, your comment about Jaina's neutrality in Dalaran made me blow air out of my nose very strongly. She literally sanctioned the slaughter of the native blood elf populace of Dalaran.

Think before you post. You are, however, correct in that they aren't really comparable.
09/13/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Piouspelicañ
Sylvanas' burning of the tree was strategic and, well, at least a little bit calculated.
Capturing an enemy capital and taking its entire population hostage thus giving you a massive bargaining chip vs burning said capital and murdering its entire population thus giving your enemies full justification to wage total war against you. This was no strategy of war, this was cruelty for the sake of cruelty.
she was very clearly not "herself" at the time

She's still not herself. She's never recovered, she's only festered. The people who enjoy Jainas hard turn really need to take a good, long look at what they're idolizing.
The main difference is that Jaina isn't undead, so she isn't basically a sociopath. She still has to sort through all that bothersome empathy...though that is certainly becoming less of a problem for her!

That and Jaina failed in her attempted genocide. Which happened when she was out of her mind with rage and grief, as opposed to Sylvanas's coldly calculated action.
09/13/2018 12:55 PMPosted by Grandblade
Jaina COULD have committed genocide, but since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from it.

Well, she was talked down from her THIRD attempt. The first two were just foiled by Thrall.

I'm not sure how much credit you get for attempting genocide and failing. Your point that she was kind of out of her mind at the time is a much better argument.
If they raise her brother as an undead there really won't be much of a difference between the two.
09/13/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Carmageddon
09/13/2018 12:55 PMPosted by Grandblade
Jaina COULD have committed genocide, but since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from it.

Well, she was talked down from her THIRD attempt. The first two were just foiled by Thrall.

I'm not sure how much credit you get for attempting genocide and failing. Your point that she was kind of out of her mind at the time is a much better argument.
After unloading 2 clips of bullets at the kindergarten, since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from firing a 3rd.
Lastly, your comment about Jaina's neutrality in Dalaran made me blow air out of my nose very strongly. She literally sanctioned the slaughter of the native blood elf populace of Dalaran.

Think before you post. You are, however, correct in that they aren't really comparable.

I believe he is referencing the time period between the destruction of Theramore and the purge of Dalaran in which Jaina absolutely fostered a neutral environment. She even had a whole conversation with Anduin about it when Varian sent him asking for Kirin Tor resources for the war against the Horde. It got a cutscene and everything.
W8 b8 m8
Jaina made great strides to preserve neutrality in Dalaran!

Jaina COULD have committed genocide, but since there is a level-headed and compassionate person beneath all the trauma, she was able to be talked down from it. Sylvanas DID commit genocide, and will likely do it again if given the chance.

Just want to pop in and say that Jaina wanted to drown Orgrimmar out of revenge, and she was very clearly not "herself" at the time (extreme trauma from Theramore etc.), which is of course understandable.

However.

Sylvanas' burning of the tree was strategic and, well, at least a little bit calculated. She had a goal, and achieved it. Also, saying "could have commited genocide but didn't therefore shes better :)" is a terrible argument and you should feel very, very bad. Lastly, your comment about Jaina's neutrality in Dalaran made me blow air out of my nose very strongly. She literally sanctioned the slaughter of the native blood elf populace of Dalaran.

It was a severe miscalculation. She burned the tree in the hopes of breaking the Alliance spirit. If anything it rallied the Alliance to fight harder and caused her to lose the Undercity. She is a fool.
09/13/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Kalorea
It was a severe miscalculation. She burned the tree in the hopes of breaking the Alliance spirit. If anything it rallied the Alliance to fight harder and caused her to lose the Undercity. She is a fool.

No, she burned the tree when they viewed the tree to cost more than it was worth after Saurfang refused to play his part. She knew they would strike back at the Horde as one, specifically against her and the Undercity, but she also knew they would do it out of rage instead of logic so she evacuated and trapped it. The Alliance then bit the bait gleefully and played entirely as expected sans Jaina.

This is all explained in plain text in the novellas. Why is it just ignored here? This is a story forum guys. There's no need to try and skew things like this.
09/13/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Kalorea
She burned the tree in the hopes of breaking the Alliance spirit.

No, she tried to kill Malfurion and capture Teldrassil in hopes of breaking the Alliance spirit. She burned the tree in hopes of forcing a foolhardy counter attack.

Her expression didn’t waver. “This was your battle. Your strategy. And your failure. Darnassus was never the prize. It was a wedge that would split the Alliance apart. It was the weapon that would destroy hope. And you, my master strategist, gave that up to spare an enemy you defeated. I have taken it back.

When they come for us, they will do so in pain, not in glory. That may be our only chance at victory now.

Which worked by the way.

And even as you may judge her plan foolish from a meta-perspective. From an in universe perspective

He wanted to kill her. He wanted to declare mak’gora and spill her blood in front of Horde and Alliance alike.

But she was right.

A wound that can never heal. That had always been the plan. And Saurfang had failed to inflict it.

One of the finest military minds in Azeroth agreed with her assessment.
Jaina = anti-hero

Sylvanas = villain protagonist