Guess WoW Sub Numbers

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 Next
09/19/2018 06:38 PMPosted by Daggri
There are about 4.2 million characters in the 111-120 range across EU and US.

That's a terrible metric. This doesn't include asia where historically it was confirmed WoW had the most subs anyways. You can't split it by the average amount of alts because only a minority has worked on alts. Everyone got a boost but boost is 110 and unless they main them or already on an alt then they'd still be 110.

Even if you split that number in half to round out the unaccountable variables and alts and such. That's 2.1 million accounts. In the USA and EU. For Asia they had like double the EU and USA pop way back when so that's 4.2M and that makes a total of 6.3M Unless however WoW is less popular percentage wise then it historically was.

Then again that 2.1 million has things that should make it go up including people who haven't bought the expansion and new/returning players.

It's really hard to even get a ballpark that that number with any accuracy.

I'm sticking with my 4-8M world-wide. And if I had to make that a smaller range then 6-7M.
09/19/2018 06:49 PMPosted by Bwg
It's actually down to one. Just me. Everyone else is an AI masquerading as a player.

I mean... that fancy new AI does immitate players so well that it makes me a little offended as a player.
09/18/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Morgak
My guess is around 4 - 5 mil...and dropping fast...maybe about 2.5mil in 6 months.

Can’t really see it any higher with the state of bfa.

There was a census from that server population site, it scanned every player who had earned an achievement in the past month or had an item update (Back in Legion). It was like 1.9 million, but this also included alts so realistic players was probably less.
More than Wildstar
09/19/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Ythisens
Somewhere between 1 and 7.4 Billion. :thinking:
WRONG WRONG WRONG the Number of subs is also the answer to life, 42
09/19/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Moonsorrows
More than Wildstar

My personal Navy has more subs than Wildstar.
09/19/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Misaracia
09/18/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Morgak
My guess is around 4 - 5 mil...and dropping fast...maybe about 2.5mil in 6 months.

Can’t really see it any higher with the state of bfa.

There was a census from that server population site, it scanned every player who had earned an achievement in the past month or had an item update (Back in Legion). It was like 1.9 million, but this also included alts so realistic players was probably less.

Yea, blizz fanboys will never admit that subs are dropping. They refused to during WoD even after they lost almost half the player base. I get defending logical thoughts. Thinking that WoW has more than a few million people playing is pretty ludicrous though.

Of course now you will have those same people coming out and saying you have no proof that subs are down! Then when you tell them to provide proof that subs aren't down they scream at you that it doesn't matter. Looking at everything that Blizzard has done recently screams of serious issues at HQ. The only thing that matters to Blizzard is their pocketbook and the only reason they scramble like they have been the last week or two is when that pocketbook is hit hard.

It makes you wish that Blizz still released sub numbers. It's understandable why they don't and it's not because they think it's a bad metric to measure the game's success. Ion even said that from a business standpoint subs are the metric they use and Blizzard is a business first and foremost. Blizzard is there to make money and they don't make money based on MAU's. They make money from subs and the items/services in the store. They don't show subs anymore because they tanked so hard with WoD it was extremely embarrassing. Ion let the cat out of the bag during his AMA though when he said that Blizzard as a company cares very much about subs. That means Ion cares about subs.

If you think that WoW is healthy then you aren't comparing it to when WoW was thriving but when it was on the verge of destruction. The dev team really screwed the pooch with BfA and while I hope they can do better the initial offering is an absolute nightmare of garbage. Blizzard knows it and i'm sure the bean counters see it as well. It's the only thing that explains the massive amount of damage control they have done over the last week. They aren't communicating more outside of random bull!@#$. There is no meaningful conversation still. It's the same song and dance they have given us since WoD tanked so hard.
3 mil, right above FF14

Would have rounded up to 7.5 Billion just to be on the safe side.
Well if we're just making guesses... I'm gonna say 9 Zillion
09/18/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Xalea
09/18/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Akston

Players - WE WANT MORE COMMUNICATION

Blizzard - Ok, here is some communication.

Players - WOW IS DEAD CONFIRMED! THEY ARE ONLY COMMUNICATING BECAUSE EVERYONE IS LEAVING!
Actually we want *better* communication, not just more communication. Ion is a horrible communicator - probably one of the worst I've ever seen in a leadership position. They either need to get rid of him entirely or get a new 'face' for WoW that can communicate an answer to a question without it becoming a 30 minute cornfield maze of doubletalk.

Isn't Ion just game director? I don't think he has to play the PR role as well.
bout tree fiddy.
09/18/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Xalea
a 30 minute cornfield maze of doubletalk.

Worst symbolism...

Symbology*

That's 7.442 billion, for you information!
09/18/2018 05:47 PMPosted by Maryine

7,584,832! LOL
09/19/2018 08:36 PMPosted by Mordeth
Yea, blizz fanboys will never admit that subs are dropping. They refused to during WoD even after they lost almost half the player base. I get defending logical thoughts. Thinking that WoW has more than a few million people playing is pretty ludicrous though.

Of course now you will have those same people coming out and saying you have no proof that subs are down! Then when you tell them to provide proof that subs aren't down they scream at you that it doesn't matter.

Actually, a logical person would take neither the position that subs are up, down, or about the same. A logical person would say that there is insufficient proof from which to derive a meaningful conclusion that isn't speculation. Even Data would say, "I lack sufficient information from which to draw a meaningful conclusion" or "In effect, I do not know." Speculation of any variety for any conclusion is speculation. Anyone advocating any speculation as proof is as guilty of the hypocrisy that they would decry in others.

Watching people blast others for their opinion in this thread on information nobody in this thread actually has is both comical and deeply disturbing. I am frequently reminded of Benny Hill's theme when I see this sort of sad behavior. Perhaps it might do to step back and take a breath to admit "Hey, I don't know." It's fine to not have the facts and know you don't. It is not fine to not have the facts and claim you know more than others. Confucius, Socrates, and Aristotle all extolled the virtues of admitting what you don't know is smarter than claiming you know what you don't (and this was more than a thousand years ago. Surely we're smarter now? That's more rhetorical, this thread is evidence we as a species have gotten dumber.).
After lastnight I'm for sure that it's at least one 1 for the foreseeable future. 6 months to be exact.
09/24/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Ythisens

2+2 is 4, minus 1 is 3.

Official numbers are in
Why are people discriminating against intergalactic nerds? The sub numbers could go far past earth's population.
You're all guessing high. It's going to be 3-4 million, depending on whether you include token time in the numbers.

I think the last public report was 5.5 million in 2015. It definitely feels like there are fewer players than back then.