Petition to start calling Blizzard what they really are:

General Discussion
ActiVision.

The soul of the game and its developer has long fled its body at this point. I understand that, yes, ActiVision (as they will so be called from here on) is a company intent on making a profit, but that profit used to derive from a great game with plentiful and engaging content that people invested time and money in. Now, it's all about devising mechanics to extend subscription times, to obligate the player to engage in unfulfilling grinds like Azerite Power, and to experience the awe-inspiring tedium of things like mission tables.

As I said, the soul of the game has fled the body. All that remains is the corporate husk interested in integrating microtransactions, fluffing quarterly profits, and strangling as much money from a sinking franchise as they can before it becomes entirely spent.

You don't deserve to be called Blizzard anymore and I think we should stop referring to them as such.
/slap

Stop it, If you had a product you would want to make profit too.
all this salt can't be good for you. Have you had your blood pressure checked lately?
09/19/2018 01:31 PMPosted by Annaillusion
/slap

Lots of ways for products to make profits.

Being fun, for example.

Fun games don’t need to pass the hat for half-year loyalty commitments.
Petitions are frowned upon =D I mean =/
Captain, the engines cannot take much more melodrama! Yee've got to stop!
its a good idea, really. blizzard died when activision bought it, after all.

Because this sort of thing will probably be said in this thread multiple times, I'll just take the time to reply to it once.

Stop. It's a tired excuse. The game's initial hype and reputation is what was and still largely is responsible for turning most of its profits. The game being good, the unique experience of World of Warcraft, the symbiotic relationship between the developers and the customers -- that is what made World of Warcraft a profitable product for their company. That game hasn't existed for a good while at this point and the fact that you're still defending some massive corporate entity is just sad, really.

I'm all for capitalism but capitalism should be based around the concept of presenting a quality product and receiving currency in exchange for it, not devising dubious strategies to mislead your customer and trick them into retaining their loyalty to a product that is ultimately unfinished and sub-par.

We're basically paying a gigantic, billion-dollar company to beta-test their game for them. It's indefensible. The logic of 'oh, they're a company' is completely hollow and without merit.
You know Activision is far and away ActivisionBlizzard's most successful division?

It's really not such an insult.
09/19/2018 01:26 PMPosted by Arthrin
ActiVision.

The soul of the game and its developer has long fled its body at this point. I understand that, yes, ActiVision (as they will so be called from here on) is a company intent on making a profit, but that profit used to derive from a great game with plentiful and engaging content that people invested time and money in. Now, it's all about devising mechanics to extend subscription times, to obligate the player to engage in unfulfilling grinds like Azerite Power, and to experience the awe-inspiring tedium of things like mission tables.

As I said, the soul of the game has fled the body. All that remains is the corporate husk interested in integrating microtransactions, fluffing quarterly profits, and strangling as much money from a sinking franchise as they can before it becomes entirely spent.

You don't deserve to be called Blizzard anymore and I think we should stop referring to them as such.

I agree, however, all anyone really needs to do is look at the wiki article to understand when and why the changes happened.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

Section: "Split from Vivendi and growth (2013–14)"

On July 25, 2013, Activision Blizzard announced the purchase of 429 million shares from owner Vivendi for $5.83 billion, dropping the shareholder from a 63% stake to 11.8% by the end of the deal in September.[33] At the conclusion of the deal, Vivendi was no longer Activision Blizzard's parent company,[34] and Activision Blizzard became an independent company as a majority of the shares became owned by the public.

(Emphasis mine)

So for all the people to say "Blizzard is really an independent company, and Activision doesn't call the shots" is a bad arguement, because the above lines out the changes as to why they're doing the things they do, compared to the earlier part of this decade.

TL;DR As of 2014, Activision actually has full control of blizzard. This is why you see such a shift in ideology.
He's right you know
09/19/2018 01:34 PMPosted by Kikk
/slap

Lots of ways for products to make profits.

Being fun, for example.

Fun games don’t need to pass the hat for half-year loyalty commitments.

I'm confused, considering I have fun whenever I play BFA. Am I doing it wrong?
Why would you have to petition to call them something unofficially?

I can call them tiddlywinks if I want, without a petition.

See

Tiddlywinks
Electronic Arts / Activision merger would be like a Weyland-Yutani Corporation
It is a business, not a democracy. If you want to have that type of decision power buy a controlling amount of stock.

Angel Soft toilet paper isn't really that soft, should we petition them to change the name of the product?
09/19/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Ijilijil
Why would you have to petition to call them something unofficially?

you have to be a drama queen or no one will listen to you apparently. it's a good thing they released a pirate themed mount cause there's salt everywhere.
Petition to not capitalize the V.

Are you some kind of lunatic?
Seems to me life is only about hoarding money.

It's like hungry hungry hippos. What do you do with so much money? Nothing. Just keep it. Cut more costs so you can get more money.

Such is the way of the world. Now be happy.

You think you want fun, but you really want money. Everyone wants money. It's all we live for. Every. Single. One of us.
I mean...I hear a lot of places refer to them only as Activision Blizzard. Its like Metroidvania or SquareEnix.
Call them whatever you want I'm having a great time.

Maybe if you spent less time on the forums and watching angry YouTubers you would as well, or at the very least you'd come up with an original opinion because the Activision ruined Blizzard meme is so, so tired.