Activision's Role in WoW?

General Discussion
09/21/2018 02:26 AMPosted by Manikin
none. though they might share some tech with each other

lol and the same mba executives. Also the same out of touch with gamers marketing.
They are probably the number one influencing factor on why this xpac is so boring. Disney buys all these franchises and ruins them (Thomas and Friends) for example. Or any Marvel movie.
This is a classic example of a much too large corporation (Activision) taking advantage of people again.
09/21/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Whqreo
09/21/2018 05:23 AMPosted by Crepe
Y'know?

Y'all would get a lot further if you spent time telling them what you want them to do with the game rather then fixating on red herrings like the holding company, subscription numbers, who is the current spokesperson for the game, etc.

Yeah because they have been doing a great job at that as of late lol.

"Working as intended"

This? Doesn't tell them what you want.

It's insanely easy to throw out quips on the Internet. Actually formulating cogent discussion takes effort. Put in some effort.
They are probably the number one influencing factor on why this xpac is so boring. Disney buys all these franchises and ruins them (Thomas and Friends) for example. Or any Marvel movie.
This is a classic example of a much too large corporation (Activision) taking advantage of people again.

What happened to Thomas and Friends?
Well i would have to go back to doing research again but I am pretty sure modern gaming profits that are leading the way are thru micro/in-game transactions.

Its hard to level those 110 levels newbie, well just spend the 70 bucks and you are caught right up.

That doesnt seem like the blizzard of old?

Oh theres a billion dollar black market on in-game gold purchases. Hey hey, we will sell you this here token you can put in the AH.

Again that doesnt sound like the blizzard of old.

Either way the game is changing but when the game developers cant manage power creep in an xpac. Dont punish the players for the inept game designing with a design thats even worse.
Right so here's what I've gathered from this thread.

Activison totally controls Blizzard Entertainment, and nothing any Blizzard employee says matters, regardless of how vhemently they deny Activison having any involvement, because they're liars who are towing the company line.

Leprechauns riding unicorns... your argument is invalid, er sumpthing?

Delusion complete? Maybe?
09/21/2018 05:44 AMPosted by Krypollo

So bang on.

I just made a thread in regards to this. Legion felt like a rip off of zthor Ragnarok and this xpac is a total rip off of Black Panther.
With Kotick on the board as CEO you know they're influencing stuff.
Y'know?

Y'all would get a lot further if you spent time telling them what you want them to do with the game rather then fixating on red herrings like the holding company, subscription numbers, who is the current spokesperson for the game, etc.

Broken record much?

I do enjoy how you find these threads to post the same message almost every time. Yet the people are doing that and feel like there voice isnt being heard in any way. After a while you stop trying to help and just move on to being disgruntled that the game you played for months or years is just going down paths you dont like.

No matter how you slice it giving feedback to a slow moving entity like blizzard is going to feel like crap cause Blizzard clearly has its plans for what they want to do and some players have others. But to constantly tell people to give feedback doesnt help either when people feel the feedback is falling on deaf ears... even if its not in some cases.

Activison totally controls Blizzard Entertainment, and nothing any Blizzard employee says matters, regardless of how vhemently they deny Activison having any involvement, because they're liars who are towing the company line.

Have I typed the delusion out properly or am I missing something?
Leprechauns riding unicorns... your argument is invalid, er sumpthing?

Right, right! Forgot that, let me just edit real quick.

Have I typed the delusion out properly or am I missing something?

It doesnt benefit Activision to control blizzard totally. Blizz has to be free to act, react, and read the tea leaves of the gaming world.

Their controlling role is likely limited to putting pressure on them to #1 stay relevant and engaging and #2 stay profitable.

Immediate financial gain is not the primary motivator factor here. WoW is an institution and relevance and engagement lead to long term profit and genre development.

That is why decisions are made to keep the audience engaged in content and story, even if it causes QQ on the notoriously toxic GD forum.
09/21/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Crepe
09/21/2018 05:30 AMPosted by Whqreo

Yeah because they have been doing a great job at that as of late lol.

"Working as intended"

This? Doesn't tell them what you want.

It's insanely easy to throw out quips on the Internet. Actually formulating cogent discussion takes effort. Put in some effort.

"Tell them what you want"

Did you not visit the beta forums? They were filled with posts about problems and suggested fixes. Some well written, others not so much, and vast quantities of it were ignored.

There are posts here in GD every single day that not only point out problems but suggest fixes and make requests, and they become so inundated with troll posts people screeching about whiners and crybabies, that they too continue to get ignored.

This whole "well you guys never tell them what to fix, or ask for the things you want."

Is a complete and bold faced lie to try and put the "problems" back on the players and the community and you should be flat ashamed for continuing to push that line.
09/21/2018 06:05 AMPosted by Belronae
It doesnt benefit Activision to control blizzard totally. Blizz has to be free to act, react, and read the tea leaves of the gaming world.

Their controlling role is likely limited to putting pressure on them to #1 stay relevant and engaging and #2 stay profitable.

Immediate financial gain is not the primary motivator factor here. WoW is an institution and relevance and engagement lead to long term profit and genre development.

That is why decisions are made to keep the audience engaged in content and story, even if it causes QQ on the notoriously toxic GD forum.

I'd love to believe you, but this goes against literally everything that every Blizzard employee has said about the issue, and let me ask you quite simply. Why would they lie? What reason do they have to lie?

If Activision is pulling the strings and saying "Thou shalt do this!" in regards to microtransactions or general game direction, why wouldn't they just say that? Because at that point, Blizzard is effectively in a position to direct criticisms for these decisions to the people responsible, rather than deal with the burden themselves, because it was something Activision wanted them to do.

It doesn't make sense to lie to the community about how the business operates when it is brought up. It's one thing to say "I can't really discuss how that part of the business operates." because at that point it's a non-answer. There's nothing swinging the pendulum either way and both sides are possible, but when you say "Activision Blizzard doesn't give us orders or suggestions about what we do." at that point you're directing all the criticism for every bad decision onto yourself.
09/21/2018 02:58 AMPosted by Floyln
09/21/2018 02:44 AMPosted by Dalriaden
Anyone who says activision doesn't have a say doesn't understand business.
Blizzard is potentially free to have free reign (or at least believe they do) until it starts hurting profits.
There's a reason it's Activision-Blizzard and blizzard is under activision stock.
I guarantee you if Blizzard was the primary shareholder it would be Blizzard-Activision and not vice versa, that's how business works.

When Blizzard confirms Activision has no say, I believe them over you.

Perhaps it's you that doesn't understand business and what a holding company is.

Sure. You also believed Azerite traits were going to give you interesting choices on how to play your character right?
Island Expeditions would allow you to explore and war fronts would be interesting?
Blizzard choices start plummeting profits then activision will a) step in or b) drop the company and that means they do have say in the matter no matter what you or someone at blizzard says.

hold·ing com·pa·ny
ˈhōldiNG ˌkəmp(ə)nē/Submit
noun
a company created to buy and possess the shares of other companies, which it then controls.
This thread is dumb.

Ion's job is to create the game. If you're a pedant and need to find a scapegoat to justify your emotional overreaction to a video game, it should be Ion.
Y'know?

Do you....do you just ignore the thousands upon thousands of threads worth of people of feedback and complaints?

Cause from experience Blizz just throws out bread crumbs to keep the masses happy and continue to experiment with their changes like the currently awful azerite system
Y'know?

7.3.5, 8.0 PTR, Pre-patch, & 8.0 all invalidate this statement.

Can't fix something if they don't tell us what they're planning on doing to get feedback on it and implement changes to it.
Blizzard is potentially free to have free reign (or at least believe they do) until it starts hurting profits.
There's a reason it's Activision-Blizzard and blizzard is under activision stock.
I guarantee you if Blizzard was the primary shareholder it would be Blizzard-Activision and not vice versa, that's how business works.

Agree and still have a hard time accepting that many do not realize that the Bigger Name on any door in almost any business is the name that gets to put their foot down anytime they want.

That is the reason they have the name on top and it really is that simple. Why would anyone actually think that the name that follows is the name in charge of all the major decisions is beyond me.

Exactly. They are all slaves to their stock price, not their customers, but their stock price and their stock options, they are all heavily invested in the price of stock. Bobby Kotick is a slave to the shareholders, he makes millions a year as long as the company is doing well, that includes Blizzard. Anyone that says otherwise is naive.