About Betraying Sylvanas - 8..1 Spoilers

General Discussion
09/22/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Reznok
Apparently in 8.1 Horde players will be forced to betray Sylvanas at some point to help Saurfang. This thread isn’t about the lack of choice on that front.

Rather I ask why any Undead player character would help Saurfang? The Horde may have honour, but we never had. We are the race that invented Blight. We eat corpses and generally dislike the living.

So what justification is there that any undead character would betray Sylvanas?

UHHH HONOR uhhh his son is deaaaad! She used CHEMICAL WEAPONZ so the blue helmets from the kirin tor need to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate old god interference
Guys, remember, the Horde is the faction where you can do whatever and be whatever you want. As long as you strictly follow the story.

Thing is, "The Horde" has no idea what it wants to be. You're a jumbled mess. I blame the Forsaken and Blood Elves for messing up the stew, and for Blizzard for not being committed in what they do.
they're gonna have to force that quest deep down my throat since i have no love for self-piting saurfang
I refuse to go against Lady Sylvanas in any way. I will cancel all three of my accounts if there isn't a work around to end game content. >.<

As a Wraith Baby, I respect the crap out of her. I don't always agree with her choices, but I'd do everything asked of me for her.

I get it's just a game... but... betraying the one character I have loved the story of my entire time in WoW? No. I can't. I'd prefer to stop playing than do crap behind her back.
Apparently in 8.1 Horde players will be forced to betray Sylvanas at some point to help Saurfang. This thread isn’t about the lack of choice on that front.

Rather I ask why any Undead player character would help Saurfang? The Horde may have honour, but we never had. We are the race that invented Blight. We eat corpses and generally dislike the living.

It's the same reason a lot of things are forced like this. WoW doesn't really have much of a choice/morality system, so you end up doing all kinds of morally inconsistent things that your character may or may not have wanted done. For example, a lot of horde druids would've likely objected to what was done at darkshore, so they were sent to silithus before it started - so if that describes your character you weren't really in darkshore even if you did the quests.

Likewise, a lot of horde characters wouldn't have just stood there while saurfang had misgivings about malfurion, they woulda brained him or at the very least gone and told Sylvanas what saurfang did immediately after malf got away. If that's you, you weren't actually there, you were fighting elsewhere or something. It's the only way to reconcile some of this stuff while still being able to play the story.
spoilers from what ive seen on youtube today the order is we help captain suicide kill my favorite bow carrying women. then turn around and help make more while nelfs show how inept their female leader is. almost like we are playing both sides.

even if she does this expac she will be back i just wont be here to see it i am not betraying my queen i will leave wow first.
10/07/2018 01:02 AMPosted by Zargunoth
I refuse to go against Lady Sylvanas in any way. I will cancel all three of my accounts if there isn't a work around to end game content. >.<

As a Wraith Baby, I respect the crap out of her. I don't always agree with her choices, but I'd do everything asked of me for her.

I get it's just a game... but... betraying the one character I have loved the story of my entire time in WoW? No. I can't. I'd prefer to stop playing than do crap behind her back.

8.1 will suck, but we just have to find a way to be strong and just power through it. And I don't know about you but WoW is so much more than just a game to me, I don't care if it comes off as sappy or pathetic but I've been playing on and off since BC and WoW is such a big part of my life. This game means so much to me, it was my only friend for a while growing up and helped me stave off loneliness and the feeling of isolation. Just reading some of the stuff in 8.1 made me feel like shards of ice were being plunged into my chest but I think we just need to wait and see how it plays out.
About getting back stab, I think this part we get the backstab thinking "Oh no player turn traitor time to stab in back" hohoho!

Ah, so you shouldn't be forced to do what is probably the most likely scenario but anyone playing a druid horde side should just suck it up and take it if they don't believe in this war effort that's going on. I mean, seeing as they went through all that effort to save Malfurion they should just sit back and support the woman who tried to kill him and burned down his home? Gotcha.

Listen, I get being into the game and the story and being finding yourself at a point where you just don't want to do something. It was Blizzard's decision to go with a faction war, when it greatly differed from what we all did in Legion, that has me sitting BfA out. /shrug
10/07/2018 02:11 AMPosted by Thorland

Ah, so you shouldn't be forced to do what is probably the most likely scenario but anyone playing a druid horde side should just suck it up and take it if they don't believe in this war effort that's going on. I mean, seeing as they went through all that effort to save Malfurion they should just sit back and support the woman who tried to kill him and burned down his home? Gotcha.

Listen, I get being into the game and the story and being finding yourself at a point where you just don't want to do something. It was Blizzard's decision to go with a faction war, when it greatly differed from what we all did in Legion, that has me sitting BfA out. /shrug

If I was a die hard druid/ nature loving person? I would have quit the game at the point of attacking Teldrassil. I wouldn't hold it against players. However, as stated, my character will follow Lady Sylvanas no matter where she goes. If she leaves the Horde without her own faction, I'm done done with the game sadly. /resub when she comes back with her new faction (/crosses fingers).
Lore says some of the forsaken werent thrilled about her actions in broken isles. Some people dont want to spend eternity as a rotting corpse who would of thought :)
09/22/2018 08:02 PMPosted by Airc
Guys, remember, the Horde is the faction where you can do whatever and be whatever you want. As long as you strictly follow the story.

Thing is, "The Horde" has no idea what it wants to be. You're a jumbled mess. I blame the Forsaken and Blood Elves for messing up the stew, and for Blizzard for not being committed in what they do.

You're not wrong, except for blaming the elves.

Want a laugh? Go read the Horde description in the pandaren starting zone when you choose a faction. Apparently the Horde is a place for outcasts and misfits to thrive away from the stifling conformity of the Alliance... meanwhile anyone who doesn't kowtow sufficiently to the Banshee Queen gets shot in the back.

The sad thing is, the Forsaken and blood elves are exactly the sort of wayward souls that could've really fleshed out the Horde and added character to the idea of a family forged of disparate elements, all striving to better themselves in a hostile world. Instead we've become the harbingers of the Horde's surrender to its darkest instincts.

Good. We won't miss you.
I can't wait.

I hope we get a quest where we scatter her ashes from the top of ICC.
Good. We won't miss you.

You don't speak for all of us. I would miss that poster, and I know many others are in a similar predicament right now over the state of the story.
One big flaw about WoW in regards to story. That you don't have a choice, and can't experience the consequences of that choice. The only choice that would come to mind, if you roll a panda, and decide between horde and alliance after intro questing. Story wise, everything feels so linear. Would have been amazing, choosing Garrosh side during MoP.
Because bootlicking Forsaken like you are in the minority. /thread

Considering she sees the Forsaken as a tool for her own agenda and would gladly sacrifice each and every one of them whenever is convenient. I'd say "betraying" her is more a matter of self preservation than honor.

Seriously, she murdered forsaken CIVILIANS for wanting to go back to their families, in a reunion she agreed to have. Even the ones who changed their minds and where coming back when she called them, all because they had hope and she can't have her people being happy right? She's a miserable, disgusting creature and she NEEDS every forsaken to be the same as her.
The same reason Horde druid's had to fight against their Shan'do, the same reason Horde shaman had to burn down Darkshore and Ashenvale. All for gameplay. Lorewise, I'm sure druids and shamans weren't helping or happy at what the Horde/Sylvanas has done. Also, there are probably some forsaken who do not agree with Sylvanas' attempt to make them immortal.
I will not attack a Dark Ranger, a fellow Elf, on behalf of an old greenskin.
This is not, nor has it ever been, a choose your own adventure game.

If Blizzard says to burn down a tree, needlessly slaughtering women and children who are surrendering, you don't get to say no.

If Blizzard says to defend the last vestiges of honor the horde has left and defend Saurfang, you don't get to say no.

If one of these things is perfectly fine to you, but the other one is an OUTRAGE and you're going to quit over it, you are the problem. And there's no making you happy. The story ebbs and flows, and you just have to grow up and accept you don't always get to win.