RPing a rude/callous character

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
At the same time you can lie and pretend to be not so rude to avoid getting like, killed, in a war game right? You don't have to be iron booted 24/7 rude. We are allowed to have nuances, aren't we?

Well of course! I can bat my pretty little eyelashes and play coy with you. Invite you to a ball, enjoy some wine with you, poison your wine, and leave your defiled body in city square.

You cannot have the best of both worlds though. You aren't going to magically not be a rude person just because it might land you in hot water. That's why you have to be ready to bribe and manipulate your way out of the hot seat.

If I cared about what others thought in that regard, well then I probably would be so mean, now would I? Any honeyed words I say are purely to benefit myself. Superficial jargon of the high class, every word both an insult and compliment.

If I am invested in you, I may give you the time of day. If not, then a dagger between the ribs figuratively... Or literally.
09/18/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Etzul
You cannot have the best of both worlds though. You aren't going to magically not be a rude person just because it might land you in hot water. That's why you have to be ready to bribe and manipulate your way out of the hot seat.

I feel you're misunderstanding, darling. I never said I wasn't rude. Just that some peoples legitimately don't know what they're doing is as bad as everyone else may believe or they were raised in a different environment.

In my family lying and working a situation to get what we wanna was a way of life. In that sense I may not know actively that I am deceiving or lying, it may just be an automatic reaction with no real malice behind it.

There's the nuance in rude chars: Those that were raised in a different environment such as a cutthroat little noble family may view the mean things they do as nice and lovely and may be able to convince others that they aren't so bad.

That isn't to say we should never suffer consequences or die when we can't get out of what checks our mouths cashed. It's only to say that if RPers wanna mutually satisfying experience it pays to care about every RPer in the game. Even the rude ones. No, that does not mean 'give free passes to endless abuse' either. It really has to do with the peoples you associate yourself with I guess? Ah ha.
@Etzul I don’t think OP is referring to your kind of Game of Thrones brand jerk. He referenced House who is far less subtle and more comedic in his a**hattery.

To which, the biggest principle in House’s case that makes him so appealing is comedy, as well as his skill. Rick is also in the same species of jerk. Same thing applies.

In your case, Etzul, what your character relies on for her appeal would be story and drama driven elements surrounding her own actions, not necessarily comedy.

If OP wants to model after Dr. House, I think he’s looking for a lovable jerka*s sort of vibe.
09/18/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Flashtrigger
@Etzul I don’t think OP is referring to your kind of Game of Thrones brand jerk. He referenced House who is far less subtle and more comedic in his a**hattery.

No really, I thought he was asking if elephants painted their nails red to hide in cherry trees. Obviously his own question has already been answered by you intelligent folks. I am speaking more to the general discussion.

I kept seeing this idea of be rude but be polite or nice. No, if you are rude, you are rude. If you feel a need to apologize for it, then you are just a do-gooder trying to act like something you're not.

Like this little priss. Spoiled little rich kid pretending to try and understand how cut throat high society even is.

No deary, you know full well you are lying. If not, then you are setting yourself up for failure. The aristocratic life style is about maintaining airs above your station, and multiple back alley deals and scandals. If you lose track of your words because they are so second nature that you say them without thinking, you will be eaten alive by those of us calculating every word we say.

You might not understand how peasants talk or view things, but that is a failure of your education. Such misguided views will get you eaten up in no time. You speak to win, and every word is a pawn on your playing field. If not, then a woman like myself will easily make you the laughing stock of the next event.

----

There are comedic rude characters, then there are the truly rude and cunning ones. You might "accidentally" not realize you are being rude once or twice. Oh haha sorry was that offensive? But after that, you know what you are doing. You don't accidentally lie because it is second nature. Because it is second nature, you know full well what you are doing when you formulate and lie as naturally as you breathe.
09/18/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Etzul
Like this little priss. Spoiled little rich kid pretending to try and understand how cut throat high society even is.

No deary, you know full well you are lying. If not, then you are setting yourself up for failure. The aristocratic life style is about maintaining airs above your station, and multiple back alley deals and scandals. If you lose track of your words because they are so second nature that you say them without thinking, you will be eaten alive by those of us calculating every word we say.

I welcome you to try to eat me alive. I feel like you won't get very far. You're right however. I should be more careful about how I lie so that smarter girls like you won't be so disappointed in me and wanna kill me or whatever.

You might not understand how peasants talk or view things, but that is a failure of your education. Such misguided views will get you eaten up in no time. You speak to win, and every word is a pawn on your playing field. If not, then a woman like myself will easily make you the laughing stock of the next event.

Thank you. Are we done telling me how threatening you are? Because I'm getting bored.

Look, being polite is a survival strategy. Making a char who lives to harm others with her words and actions is already a dangerous thing to do. Why make it worse by making yourself... unpleasant for everyone around you?

Being polite or nice when your rudeness is challenged is a valid survival strategy. You aren't the only one who knows about fantasy high societies, please stop pretending you are, deary.

There are comedic rude characters, then there are the truly rude and cunning ones. You might "accidentally" not realize you are being rude once or twice. Oh haha sorry was that offensive? But after that, you know what you are doing. You don't accidentally lie because it is second nature. Because it is second nature, you know full well what you are doing when you formulate and lie as naturally as you breathe.

Not offensive, you are clearly trying to be though. I feel like you are a very nice person still. Peoples don't always know what they're doing when they act in a way contrary to 'the truth.' Who decides what is true about someone else anyway? To you, I'm a spoiled little rude prissy girl who doesn't know how to be smart, to someone else I'm a beautiful temptress who tricks them to commit crimes for me.

Just because a woman like you is way better at the game than me doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. Please stop being so condescending. Thank you.
Oh so sorry I seem condescending. Thought you were used to our world. I'm not threatening you by any means. Just making a point. I want nothing more than to see your failure, to watch your humiliation as some silly little rumor spreads like wildfire through the gossip circles of Silvermoon.

How about a thought? Why don't we start over? After all, like you said, I am clearly a nice person. I am Etzul, renowned sin'dorei painter. You can come to my manor out in Ghostlands, we can discuss the finer workings of the higher circles. Maybe I'll teach you a thing or two about painting and wooing successful men from their wives. My artwork has been featured in many art galleries, even had my own personal showing in Dalaran.

A lesson from me is simply to die for. We can paint a portrait to make that mop you call hair more luxurious, or those rags more chic. A portrait to make the world envious of your beauty.
09/18/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Etzul
Oh so sorry I seem condescending. Thought you were used to our world. I'm not threatening you by any means. Just making a point. I want nothing more than to see your failure, to watch your humiliation as some silly little rumor spreads like wildfire through the gossip circles of Silvermoon.

Of course so does everyone. Like, I'm sure my 'ultimate humiliation by...' ah ha ha ha... 'gossip' shall be quite entertaining and fun for everyone.

How about a thought? Why don't we start over? After all, like you said, I am clearly a nice person. I am Etzul, renowned sin'dorei painter. You can come to my manor out in Ghostlands, we can discuss the finer workings of the higher circles. Maybe I'll teach you a thing or two about painting and wooing successful men from their wives. My artwork has been featured in many art galleries, even had my own personal showing in Dalaran.

You are a nice person I can feel it. My name is Ravasha. I've made a living in the Horde by making women's and girl's clothing and perfumes. I've never been featured anywhere as fabulous as Dalaran.

Ooh, I would love to visit your manor. I'm sure a woman like you has exquisite taste in home decor and in such a dreary place a well kept home is a blessing.

A lesson from me is simply to die for. We can paint a portrait to make that mop you call hair more luxurious, or those rags more chic. A portrait to make the world envious of your beauty.

Ooh, r-really? I'm flattered that you would waste your time teaching a girl like me to be more beautiful. I'm already envious of your beautiful sophistication. Tell me, how do you intend to make a girl both enviable and beautiful and ruin her at the same time? Or is that one of your high class secrets?
Oh please. I have all the time in the world to waste on you. We could paint over bon bons. Don't you worry about those nasty finer details. You just relax.

Oh my, I almost forgot. Did you say if someone would miss you? If you... perhaps... spent a few nights? After all, these sorts of lessons take a bit of time for someone of your intelligence. I want to make sure we get it just right.
No one would miss me except perhaps some weak little boys who only wanna be there for a little while and then walk out. Is it fine with you if I bring along my pretty pink Hawkstrider? I'm going to be traveling without magic because some peoples I've worked with seem to be putting out orders to hurt me if they see me using it.
09/17/2018 07:36 PMPosted by Etzul
Please. All you fools here with rosey eyed views. You all belong under the heels of my boots. Uncouth and barbaric imbeciles. I wouldn't even use your blood for my crudest of paints. Wouldn't paint a pile of kodo dung with your fluids.

Wastes of air. You want everything to be so posh and proper, while still being blunt and real? How oxymoronic. Get real, you fools. Nothing in life is so rose colored so take those stupid rose tinted glasses off.

Either you are rude or you aren't, don't weaken yourself by trying to placate those that can't take it. You aren't here to make everyone's life so happy, why waste your time with it?

You know, she really grows on you after a bit.
09/15/2018 08:26 PMPosted by Tinkahra
How rude you are is up to you. It can be a challenge to truly be rude if you are a generally nice person irl.

False. I have a lot of repressed anger. xD
Oh fantastic, that means there is no cost to me for your lessons! Of course you can bring your strider, those feathers can make fantastic pigments, especially mixed with...

You are on a diet right, judging by your size, so I'll make sure to focus on some lower calorie foods. My body is perfectly preserved, so i normally don't have to worry about it.

Hmm, we could start out with a painting of your loa, Jani. I assume Jani is your loa, right? It'll be easier than a body to study, then we'll gather ingredients for your paints and move on to the main event.
Lovely. She's quite well tempered and never bites anyone. Quite, I try to watch what I consume. Your hair is lovely by the way. Yes, Jani is my Loa. How did you know? I hope to meet with you at your latest convenience. I feel like you are a very talented woman and would love meeting you. By the way do you prefer to be contacted with a letter or whatever before guests arrive?
You know, I may be the head of a doomsday cult filled by frothing lunatics, but sometimes I feel like blood elves are real crazies.
09/18/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Bitterbrine
You know, I may be the head of a doomsday cult filled by frothing lunatics, but sometimes I feel like blood elves are real crazies.

I feel like racism against all blood elves is crazy. By the way thank you for telling everyone that you run a doomsday cult, I'm sure the right people would love to know that.

Anyway I'm leaving the thread now, racism is like my line.
Sweetling here didnt even bother to find out about the holes where my very pointed ears used to be. I suppose theres no love between warlocks.
09/18/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Bitterbrine

'Scuse me but I don't view myself as a sin'dorei. I once played in Queen Azshara's courts. The blood elves were an easier out than trying to become whatever the barbarian kaldorei were becoming. Mind you, I am very much in the body of a sin'dorei, but quel'dorei is where my heart lies.

At my latest convenience, Lady Ravasha? Why that sounds like you don't wish to visit. This saddens me, you were going to make the best portrait. I do hope you will come by at your earliest convenience. I want so much to examine your delicate body.
Anyone else have a 'Layers of Fear' vibe coming from Ms. Eztul here?
Sweet Etzul, such choices have been out of my hands for some time, and my tongue is now more suited to gutterspeak than impassioned soliloquy. *a wooden mouthpiece squelches as Bitterbrine manipulates it* Funny how when you lose something so integral, like ears, or half a mouth, it can still hurt. * Bitterbrine laughs, actually he cackles*

Poor Ravasha, can’t you see I am a VICTIM here? *Bitterbrine raises coursing fel-wreathed hands in supplication* Callously you call us a cult, but surely you have heard of “care in the community?” Eagerly you allow such souls to languish in their filth, but I have taken them in, given them PURPOSE. *the nearest cultist appears to be toying with a crude necklace made from human fingers.* What could be more noble dear?

Rudely you have accused me of possessing singularly vile character, on no more basis than the fact I am *ahem* unliving. Shame, young one. But worry not, I won’t hold it against you, your willingness to stand up for your beliefs distinguishes you. Perhaps you should attend to your studies with the lovely Etzul, art is taking on the wildest crazes these days and it pays to be prepared. *Bitterbrine giggles raggedly.* I believe it would be good for your “moral” education.

Ooc: Evil is fun.
09/18/2018 04:03 PMPosted by Bitterbrine
Poor Ravasha, can’t you see I am a VICTIM here? *Bitterbrine raises coursing fel-wreathed hands in supplication* Callously you call us a cult, but surely you have heard of “care in the community?” Eagerly you allow such souls to languish in their filth, but I have taken them in, given them PURPOSE. *the nearest cultist appears to be toying with a crude necklace made from human fingers.* What could be more noble dear?

Rudely you have accused me of possessing singularly vile character, on no more basis than the fact I am *ahem* unliving. Shame, young one. But worry not, I won’t hold it against you, your willingness to stand up for your beliefs distinguishes you. Perhaps you should attend to your studies with the lovely Etzul, art is taking on the wildest crazes these days and it pays to be prepared. *Bitterbrine giggles raggedly.* I believe it would be good for your “moral” education.

Yes, poor you, I feel very badly for how I behaved. I believe actually preparing for the end of the world is playing the wrong game. Don't worry, I promise I won't tell anyone what you're doing so long as we agree on no racism or self-hating racism?

It wasn't your Forsaken status I like... criticized. It was the base and rude way you have phrased it and the word, like, 'crazies.' You could instead 'care for your community' by not ending something that isn't yours. What do I know?

Thank you Sir Bitterbrine, I'm sure Miss Etzul and I have quite a bit to do. I don't exactly have time to stand here boringly debating how mean girl I am.