Why do the Naga need/want the Fleet?

Story Forum
Okay just did the Alliance quest line for Shrine of Storm... and a question occurs. What would the Naga need a fleet for? They already get around underwater, probably much faster then any ship even with a sea sage.
09/17/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Sasskei
Okay just did the Alliance quest line for Shrine of Storm... and a question occurs. What would the Naga need a fleet for? They already get around underwater, probably much faster then any ship even with a sea sage.

Plothole

There is no reason they would either need or want a fleet of human ships.

In other words standard Blizzard story telling.
probably because they dont want humans to have it
09/17/2018 09:40 PMPosted by Withpuppys
probably because they dont want humans to have it

They could have you know killed the crews for that to happen?

Dialogue between the mid level monk and Lord Stormsong makes it clear the Naga don't want to just kill the humans they want the ships intact.

It is an example of what happens when you let a poor indie company like Blizzard write things; you just get a first draft nobody checks over and it gets put in game.
You've chosen a very small point to vent all of this petty bitterness over.
I recall in Vashj'ir the naga capturing Alliance and Horde marines en mass in order to enslave them.

The naga benefit two fold:
1) Kul Tiras loose their fleet. They are one of the most powerful navies in the world, this would certainly help the naga.
2) They get a ton of slaves. We know that they kidnap sailors to use as slave labour from Cataclysm.

Who knows, maybe they want boats for travel. Just because I can walk and breath air doesn't mean travelling by car isn't more efficient use of time.
Are they not allowed to have nice things?
It's not just any old fleet of human ships, Kul Tiran vessels are specially enchanted from the get go. It's a damn good fleet. They wouldn't necessarily need them for traveling, but they would do wonders for making war.

Plus they would be valuable for the naga's non-naga servants and allies to travel around on. After all, the Old Gods have more than just naga and murlocs at their disposal. I think even the K'thir would benefit from such a mode of transportation.
My assumption was that the lost sailors in the fleet would have been transformed into servants of N'zoth by the ritual, most likely into K'thir or some variant therein.

N'zoth's methods seem to be much more about subversion and transforming beings into forms he finds more suitable, much like with the naga. The whole plot was more than likely to do this to the fleet, and then there would have been a bunch of newly minted Old God creatures with knowledge of Kul Tiras using arguably the most powerful fleet in the world as Azshara saw fit.
‘Cos snakes on a boat
Mind controlled land walkers do need ships to roll with the naga.
Because it's a magic fleet with very fast ships, so leaving it in the hands of the Kul Tirans is a bad idea if they want any chance at succeeding with their plans.
They would be useful for transporting cargo around the oceans, like artillery. The attack on Fort Daelin would have gone better if they could have been shelling it with cannon, as opposed to just throwing themselves at the walls.
You dont need a car to get to your job or anywhere, I mean you're a land creature, you can just walk there! -Your logic.
The naga have better ways of traveling across the sea.

The naga have better ways of attacking things at sea.

But when it comes to attacking land from the sea, the naga have nothing that comes anywhere close to a bunch of ships with guns.

Anglepoint Warf sends a giant void-blasting squidmonster packing. Fleets of pirates do way more damage when assaulting coastal defenses, and those pirate fleets aren't as good as this one.
All the best underwater bars are made out of shipwrecks.

The naga are just going to fill all the ships with water and make a sweet chain of night clubs.
Because they're jerks?
09/17/2018 09:38 PMPosted by Sasskei

Mainly to eliminate one of the strongest navies in Azeroth. Without them, the Alliance is pretty much screwed on the warfront and that is HUGE for Azshara and her naga peeps.
09/17/2018 10:06 PMPosted by Ximothy
I recall in Vashj'ir the naga capturing Alliance and Horde marines en mass in order to enslave them.

The naga benefit two fold:
1) Kul Tiras loose their fleet. They are one of the most powerful navies in the world, this would certainly help the naga.
2) They get a ton of slaves. We know that they kidnap sailors to use as slave labour from Cataclysm.

Who knows, maybe they want boats for travel. Just because I can walk and breath air doesn't mean travelling by car isn't more efficient use of time.
Mainly this. They increase their presence substantially when they have boats full of mind slaves, specially Kul Tiran marine mind slaves. Not only do you have to worry about the boats in the water but then you have to worry about Naga attacks coming from underneath.

Thankfully though, the Alliance PCs save the day and the fleet. I rather liked the narrative of Stormsong, minus Brennadam. You get see the manipulative side of Azshara's Naga/Old God shenanigans as they turn countrymen on countrymen. I'm rather excited to see what happens when Azshara makes her grand debut, I'm half expecting her to tempt a lot of Night Elves into her service after Teldrassil.
Because the Kool Aid Man is red.