Favorite Parts of RP

World’s End Tavern: Role-play and Fan Fiction
There's been some generally negative threads around here recently and I think something contrary could be fun. What's your favorite thing to see during RP?

For me, I love seeing interesting, out-there concepts be done in super creative ways. An immortal blood elf with skin of fire would usually turn many off immediately, but when they're a fire elemental that simply looks like an elf, bound to a location on Azeroth, it's a different story for me. It's not just "I'm a fire elf" at that point, it's a totally unique concept that's been successfully meshed into WoW lore. It's crazy, it's interesting and it makes me want to get involved into RP so I can learn more.

Not to dissuade the more archetypal characters - Frostwolf warriors and human paladins from Lordaeron are plenty fine - but seeing something that's so out of the box and yet working is just a very welcome breath of fresh air, personally.

What sort of things do you enjoy seeing in RP?
Funnily enough, the crazy example you gave is somewhat similar to Sunpai's backstory. Albeit mine wasn't implemented very well, in my opinion, because RP was an afterthought when making this character...who was a DK at first...for reasons. Long story.

My favorite part of RP tends to be any and all combat. Those instances tend to be very memorable, and they really let your character shine in their unique way.

I still remember the time I walked into the Slaughtered Lamb and tried to provoke the lone night elf in there into a bar fight. Turn around and suddenly the bar is packed with elves. Good times, good times. I certainly didn't walk away from that without getting plenty of bruises.
I really love the improv. Like, discovering something about your character that even you didn't know but just felt so right to include.

For example, a while back I was playing my warlock and the topic of slavery and peons came up. I was pleasantly surprised to conclude that my warlock is actually very against slavery. She's a horrible, selfish person, but she also believes in the power of any individual to pursue whatever interests they desire.

I think it's something that role play provides to writing that not many other mediums do. You really get an in depth feel of your character and if you let it, you can watch them develop during situations in such beautifully human ways.
I love being in an RP scene that involves some sort of initiation, ceremony, or ritual. For example, Dwarves taking Oaths and swearing loyalty to their respective clans (or sub-clans). Or Trolls participating in a voodoo ceremony to appease a Loa. Or Tauren celebrating a successful "great hunt".

It makes for more interesting RP, in my opinion, because it gives your character a commitment to something deeper and more cultural than the typical tavern RP or "demon-slaying" adventure.
My deathknight out of the blue became a guitarist as a way of coping with his aggresion. He always knew how to play but he really never did it after he died. It helped keep him balanced.
09/21/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Zakhan
My deathknight out of the blue became a guitarist as a way of coping with his aggresion. He always knew how to play but he really never did it after he died. It helped keep him balanced.

I love stuff like this. My Death Knight actually started learning an instrument himself since there are a lot of musicians in the village all my characters live.

On that note, while I know it may be a point of contention in the RP community, I love player-run (fanon) villages and kingdoms.
09/21/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Cannibal
An immortal blood elf with skin of fire would usually turn many off immediately, but when they're a fire elemental that simply looks like an elf, bound to a location on Azeroth, it's a different story for me.

That must be why you liked the concept I had for my Shaman here. Being a balance of the Elements within himself he has skin of stone, but due to the water element it is soft and looks almost like flesh from a distance. He is not cold to the touch like stone either due to the fire element granting him "life" warmth. Air or storms can be seen in both his solid white eyes as well as crackling down his body.

So I have all four elements in balance within his body making him almost appear normal but he is really an elemental ascendant. Between that and his connection to the Bronze Dragons that I wont go into here he is effectively immortal.

09/21/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Sunpai
I still remember the time I walked into the Slaughtered Lamb and tried to provoke the lone night elf in there into a bar fight. Turn around and suddenly the bar is packed with elves. Good times, good times. I certainly didn't walk away from that without getting plenty of bruises.

That sounds problematic to be sure. Don't think I have ever had an instance like that myself. I do like the concept of RP combat as well because you can be creative with it and don't have to be restricted to the game mechanics.

Did you have an emote battle, PvP, or roll battle? I have done the last one a few times but not a fan of the RNG involved. A character that is suppose to be really good at something could have a bad string of luck(of the roll) and basically fall flat on their face.

I have a Dwarf Ranger whom was trained by the best the Kaldorei had to offer, so if he could not hit a single target something is wrong. Personally because of this I prefer Emote-combat as you can get creative and still be able to showcase your character's perceived skill without having to worry about RNG getting in the way. If you fail, you know why, the other guy was just better.

09/21/2018 12:51 PMPosted by Loranaris
I think it's something that role play provides to writing that not many other mediums do. You really get an in depth feel of your character and if you let it, you can watch them develop during situations in such beautifully human ways.

You know this type of thing happened with me not too long ago on these very forums. My Dwarf lass was in a cave-in and I discovered that she was claustrophobic. Due to a traumatic event in her childhood where she witnessed her mother die while she was trapped. It didn't help that she is a wildhammer and they in general are not such fans of underground spaces ever since the War of Three Hammers and the battle of Grim Batol.

-------------------------------------------------

I am not sure what my favorite thing is to see regarding RP personally as all the answers so far seem so good. As evident by my responses to them, lol.

Surprise events of any kind are always fun. I had this one time where my Frost DK was mistakenly given a mug of this stuff that sets your character on fire. When I seen the effect--having no idea it was going to happen in the first place--he jumped up screaming for someone to put him out as he ran around the place. I still recall it as one of my favorite RP moments that has happened to one of my characters.
I very much enjoy seeing characters who, given a recent event have only now decided to take up arms and begin exploring Azeroth; Characters who are not seasoned veterans or explorers, and who still have much to learn. I think it shows a lot on the part of the player that they are willing to develop a character over 120 levels, as opposed to going IC at max level or just boosting a new character for RP. Nothing wrong with either of those things, though!
09/21/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Sunpai

That sounds problematic to be sure. Don't think I have ever had an instance like that myself. I do like the concept of RP combat as well because you can be creative with it and don't have to be restricted to the game mechanics.

Did you have an emote battle, PvP, or roll battle? I have done the last one a few times but not a fan of the RNG involved. A character that is suppose to be really good at something could have a bad string of luck(of the roll) and basically fall flat on their face.

I have a Dwarf Ranger whom was trained by the best the Kaldorei had to offer, so if he could not hit a single target something is wrong. Personally because of this I prefer Emote-combat as you can get creative and still be able to showcase your character's perceived skill without having to worry about RNG getting in the way. If you fail, you know why, the other guy was just better.

I hope I did the quoting thing right, new to posting on the forums.

It was an emote battle. Just like you, I prefer emote battles as well. Really lets your character's strengths and weaknesses play their roles. For instance, my relatively slow human wasn't about to match the speed of a nimble elf. That's not to say all humans can't match an elf, mine is just particularly slow in terms of reflexes. I'm sure there's plenty of elves just as slow as me, too. Obviously not in that bar that night.

I do really like emote battles though, especially since it can force someone to think outside the box in how they approach someone. With roll battles people always seem to just attack head-on, hoping the rolls are in their favor. That won't always work in an emote battle, because maybe someone has some sort of defense they can't get around that easily. That sort of out-wit or out-maneuver style is what I really like.

And as you said, sometimes in roll battles someone can fall flat, even in an area they should excel in. I've had plenty of experiences just like that. It's just a terrible feeling when you should be winning, but you aren't because the dice arbitrarily decided you won't.

Edit: I did indeed do the quoting thing wrong. I'll see if I can't fix it before someone tells me how to do it properly.
Culture clash between fantasy cultures is my favorite thing!
The opportunity for comedy is one of my favorite parts of Roleplay. I'm pretty serious about Roleplay but my Roleplay is not always serious.

I try not to do overt slapstick.

I enjoy describing possible but ridiculous situations, like the suddenly frightened ranger trainees scattering like a litter of frightened kittens. Likewise if I see the opening one of my characters will say something funny (often the character is entirely serious but what is said and the delivery is funny) I'll take it. Zan telling a close friend that he was turned into a were-peacock by giving them a train ocular feather and saying with earnest sincerity the words, "My butt made this." (Except he used the a word not butt.)

Nothing is more satisfying than, "You're in rare form tonight," or
"AFK to get my inhaler." If I make someone laugh I have improved their day ever so slightly and that's great.
I like a good fourth wall breaker personally or a character that goes across alternative timelines and universes like Dr Who. I guess that's why I started playing Heroes of the Storm

The Caverns of Time dragon could explore this avenue but the lore attached to them is a little depressing (knowing the time of your death)

I'm glad the lighthearted Chomie is the Aspect of Time but I digress.

I'm fine with anything that's creative if it feels like the time and work was put into it. What we do is try to get people to feel something to coincide and relate, but a completely off the wall character that makes you laugh is also pretty awesome too.
09/22/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Sunpai
Edit: I did indeed do the quoting thing wrong. I'll see if I can't fix it before someone tells me how to do it properly.
The quote is there seems like it was done right.
09/24/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Perfectia
Wait she is? When did this happen? I must have missed something in Legion...
I'm a huge fan of puns.

So when I get the opportunity to see a pun either in the description of an emote, or a character flat out throwing puns out there it makes me give that goofy stupid smile.
09/24/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Bowendoseki
09/22/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Sunpai
The quote is there seems like it was done right.
09/24/2018 09:01 AMPosted by Perfectia
Wait she is? When did this happen? I must have missed something in Legion...

I could be wrong, but it seem like she was because she saw a vision when she was going to die, and it was a half a hour from the time see saw her vision so it was kind of funny and fun, but boy those quest weren't easy.
09/24/2018 12:04 PMPosted by Perfectia
I could be wrong, but it seem like she was because she saw a vision when she was going to die, and it was a half a hour from the time see saw her vision so it was kind of funny and fun, but boy those quest weren't easy.

If you are talking about the Death of Chromie questlines, those are unique because she is not supposed to die in those moments. I have not done the questline myself, but from what I've heard, its the Infinite Dragonflight & Legion trying to take her out.

Regardless. Chromie is NOT the Aspect of the Bronze Dragonflight. That would be Nozdormu.
My favourite RP moment of all times in game is probably when I lost an arm for a bet, but ended up not needing to lose my arm in the long run. It’s a long story..... some friends of mine and I got drunk at a tavern and it went downhill from there.

Now my favourite forum moment while RPing... that one just happened recently, but when one of my characters got her first slice of cake. Ever. It was just the randomness of the moment when it happened that got me as well.
09/24/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Käyn
I'm a huge fan of puns.

So when I get the opportunity to see a pun either in the description of an emote, or a character flat out throwing puns out there it makes me give that goofy stupid smile.
I enjoy some good pun-ishment.
09/25/2018 10:59 AMPosted by Zandrae
09/24/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Käyn
I'm a huge fan of puns.

I enjoy some good pun-ishment.

If there was a love button, I'd smash it a hundred times
Theres alot about RP I enjoy, I adore stories and creating them. But the thing I love most is clicking the Cannibalize button.