Mojave

Mac Technical Support
Mojave is available. Personally, I'm excited for two things:
Nightmode
-and-
Nightmode

Anybody try it with WoW yet? Downloading but might hold off for a week.
Downloading Mojave now on 5k iMac with M395X I want to uninstall wow first then do the Mojave install and then reinstall wow. (I hope this will make the Mojave install smoother) I will repost once I redownload wow and play it
Pretty much Joregorlian's system and it works well so far. Had to keybind the button to shoot down falcons in the one quest and slow down the curser speed a touch.
Experienced a couple crashes in WoW after upgrading to macOS Mojave. Looks like the trigger for both was using exposé to switch between virtual desktops.
Performance is identical to High Sierra. Windowed Fullscreen performance woes still remain.
09/24/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Amyashii
Experienced a couple crashes in WoW after upgrading to macOS Mojave. Looks like the trigger for both was using exposé to switch between virtual desktops.

Getting the same issue. I systematically freeze if I bring up expose while playing, which is the method I use to switch to other apps while playing full screen.

Did not freeze prior to Mojave update.
The font smoothing changes are horrendous.
09/24/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Ryegeleye
The font smoothing changes are horrendous.

Yes, and fonts are now so inconsistent across the OS.
So far my experience with Mojave and WoW has been less than stellar on all 3 of my Macs.

I had no issues with 10.13 and WoW. (Windowed Fullscreen)

On both my newest Macs: A 27" 2017 iMac and 2017 15" MacBook Pro I am experiencing degraded performance.

Load times have gone from speedy to agonizingly minutes long. I have no idea what could be the cause of this.

In game Im experiencing lower frame rates than I was with High Sierra and some really odd slow drawing issues. For example, when opening bags or windows or especially the map it takes what seems too long a time to draw contents.

When I have time to take pictures like this 5+ seconds to draw the map is too long:
https://imgur.com/a/R6yTRbP

My settings are identical to what they were before upgrade where I had no complaints about performance at all.

Something with the game and this OS is not right. If it isn't resolved soon I'll be down grading back to 10.13.6 shortly.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM183.0161.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.41f1

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 580
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 8192 MB
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c0
ROM Revision: 113-D000AA-931
VBIOS Version: 113-D0001A1X-025
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.931
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro14,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.1 GHz
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Boot ROM Version: MBP143.0178.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.45f0

Radeon Pro 560:

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 560
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 4096 MB
Device ID: 0x67ef
Revision ID: 0x00c0
ROM Revision: 113-C980AJ-927
VBIOS Version: 113-C9801AU-A02
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.927
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.29 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina
09/24/2018 06:31 PMPosted by Amyashii

There is definitely a problem with spaces and WoW. I mentioned this at the release of BfA and got absolutely no replies from any dev or service rep. The issue is completely worse with Mojave.

What I am finding is that when using spaces with WoW if you swap to another space using the two finger mouse swipe action and return to the space occupied by WoW without going fully to the next space the game will suspend (spinning beach ball forever). If you swap into the 2nd space fully and then swipe back into the original space the game occupies it will go back to active.
09/25/2018 07:25 PMPosted by Bermy
So far my experience with Mojave and WoW has been less than stellar on all 3 of my Macs.

I had no issues with 10.13 and WoW. (Windowed Fullscreen)

On both my newest Macs: A 27" 2017 iMac and 2017 15" MacBook Pro I am experiencing degraded performance.

Load times have gone from speedy to agonizingly minutes long.

Same for me. It's as if my computer got at least 8 years older with the Mojave update. There is significant slowdown for load screens and the map can take up to 15 seconds to render. I have tried turning off all addons and rebooting and it doesn't make any difference.

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac18,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.4 GHz
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Boot ROM Version: IM183.0161.B00
SMC Version (system): 2.41f1

Chipset Model: Radeon Pro 570
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 4096 MB
Device ID: 0x67df
Revision ID: 0x00c5
ROM Revision: 113-D000AA-931
VBIOS Version: 113-D0001A1L-025
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.931
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 5120 x 2880 Retina
My issues have been mostly resolved by a change to the config file. See this thread for details:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769029827
09/25/2018 11:15 PMPosted by Kayyaa
My issues have been mostly resolved by a change to the config file. See this thread for details:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769029827

Nice find...while Mojave did upgrade my iMacs Fusion drive to APFS that command in the config file isn't improving the drawing the speed of things in windows (bags, guild chat, maps, etc)
APFS has slower read speeds than HFS+ , especially non SSDs

so couple that with how inefficient casc is, yeah I can see mojave doing that causing even further degrading of loading experience for fusion drives and HDDs
It gets doubly fun once you start patching. Because of how APFS works with the b-tree extents nodes, which keep track of file modifications, a single file patched over a few times can have hundreds, even thousands of nodes. Multiply that by each data.xxx file in your WoW installation and you start to see just how inefficient APFS truly is and how much is leans on flash storage to overcome its horrendous shortfalls.

And every time the file is read, APFS has to read all of the nodes to know which portion of the file you want to access. On a non-SSD, that's going to be downright painful and then some.
The b-net client says the game is running when its closed. Checked activity monitor and the dock, it isn't running. Restarted the b-net client and opened and closed the game, still says its running.

This is concerning, how will I get game updates now?
09/26/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Amyashii
The b-net client says the game is running when its closed. Checked activity monitor and the dock, it isn't running. Restarted the b-net client and opened and closed the game, still says its running.

Kill the process WoWVoiceProxy in Activity Monitor. That's the one that's still open, not WoW or Agent itself.
09/26/2018 07:58 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
09/26/2018 07:21 PMPosted by Amyashii

Kill the process WoWVoiceProxy in Activity Monitor. That's the one that's still open, not WoW or Agent itself.

This worked, thanks.
09/26/2018 06:39 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
It gets doubly fun once you start patching. Because of how APFS works with the b-tree extents nodes, which keep track of file modifications, a single file patched over a few times can have hundreds, even thousands of nodes. Multiply that by each data.xxx file in your WoW installation and you start to see just how inefficient APFS truly is and how much is leans on flash storage to overcome its horrendous shortfalls.

And every time the file is read, APFS has to read all of the nodes to know which portion of the file you want to access. On a non-SSD, that's going to be downright painful and then some.

So I have a Fusion Drive with a 128GB SSD. With as much as I play WoW, I'm certain the game files must be on the SSD portion. How bad would APFS hurt me?
09/27/2018 02:53 PMPosted by Dawnson
So I have a Fusion Drive with a 128GB SSD. With as much as I play WoW, I'm certain the game files must be on the SSD portion. How bad would APFS hurt me?

On patch days, a lot. If that fusion drive is also your boot drive, it won't have enough space for both WoW and the OS on the flash portion. You'll have a mix of both. So when you hit files that are on the HD portion, it's gonna suck.

The flash portion will offer minimal mitigation with APFS + CASC, sadly. Only pure SSD/NVMe drives will be spared some of the wrath of both filesystems' clashing together.