New Diablo, Blizz Mobile Game & "Unannounced"

Story Forum
New job openings on Blizzard's career site hints at some new projects.

New Diablo
Numerous job openings have appeared under Diablo in the "Unannounced Project" category. They are looking to fill the following positions:
Executive Producer, Diablo
Creative Director, Diablo
Lead Technical Artist, Diablo
Senior Dungeon Artist, Diablo
Senior Software Engineer, Graphics, Diablo
Senior VFX Artist, Diablo
Associate VFX Artist, Diablo
Associate Software Engineer, Audio, Diablo
Software Engineer, Gameplay, Diablo
Software Engineer, Graphics, Diablo
Dungeon Artist, Diablo
Environment Artist, Diablo
From the job descriptions, we know the following about this project:
  • Working on a new, unannounced Diablo project.
  • "The minions of Hell are growing stronger..."
  • Numerous mentions of "Diablo World."

Blizzard Mobile Game
Blizzard is working on an unannounced mobile game, separate from the Diablo announcement. They are looking to fill the following positions:
Mobile Art Director
Lead Software Engineer (C++), Gameplay
Senior Software Engineer, Server
Senior Software Engineer, UI
Senior Artist, VFX
Senior Technical Artist
Senior Character Artist
Senior Quest Designer
Software Engineer, Client
Software Engineer, Gameplay
Senior Environment Artist
Environment Artist
Character Artist
  • "A new and exciting experience for mobile."
  • Project is in its infancy.
  • Will be on Android & iOS.
  • Seems to be heavily art-focused.
  • Goal is "to bring together players from all over the world."
  • Will have "gameplay features for content creators."
  • Most positions require "Knowledge, understanding, and familiarity with Blizzard’s universes and lore."
  • Will be using Unity 3D and Substance Painter software.

Unannounced Project
Blizzard also has a lot of job openings for an unannounced project, and are looking to fill the following positions:
Lead / Sr. Level Designer
Art Director
Lead Software Engineer, Graphics / Engine
Senior Software Engineer, Graphics / Engine
Senior Software Engineer, Artificial Intelligence
Senior Software Engineer, Gameplay / Animation
Senior Software Engineer (C++), Server
Senior Animator
Senior Concept Artist / Illustrator
  • Clarified to be a brand new game.
  • Appears to be in its early stages.
  • Will have Blizzard's next generation of AI and will include motion capture systems for animation.
  • Will have "a robust first-person engine" to be an "action packed" game. Will have "a beautiful and visceral core combat experience."
  • Has a "unique visual direction."
  • Many positions request a "passion for co-op games, RPGs and board games."
  • Strange request of "You are not afraid of bears, instead you treat them with the respect, dignity and caution that they deserve," in some job descriptions.
Ohhhh new Diablo.
I like the lore of Diablo so I'm hoping this expands on it a bit.
Hm.

So new Diablo expansion or possibly Diablo 4: Still Some Evil Out There.

Guessing Overwatch/Heroes of the Storm: Mobile. "Gameplay features for content creators" could mean mod support or "content creators" could mean "streamers and lets players." Not sure how that'd work with a mobile game, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out mobile game streaming is a thing. Somehow.

Hm. Unannounced first person game. Brand new with their fancy new AI tech mixed with Co-op and RPG thingies. Some kind of first person fantasy thing in the style of Destiny, maybe?
09/10/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Bromdai
Not sure how that'd work with a mobile game, but I wouldn't be shocked to find out mobile game streaming is a thing. Somehow.

It is. I've got a buddy that streams Pokemon Go.
09/10/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Cannibal
Numerous mentions of "Diablo World."

I know it's probably just an expansion, but part of me hopes it's an MMORPG, just because I think they could do a good job using Diablo as a basis for one.
You all need to admit that the only thing that is coming is gonna be DiabGo, mobile game with microtransactions.
09/10/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Hahahahahaha
You all need to admit that the only thing that is coming is gonna be DiabGo, mobile game with microtransactions.

I dunno. I won't be surprised if it's something more like Hearthstone; a different genre using the same IP.

Imagine if this Diablo World is a racing game or something. Or an Overwatch style game.
09/10/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Cannibal
Executive Producer, Diablo
Creative Director, Diablo
I take that as they're going to try to reboot the franchise. That's also lot of artist positions, must be trying to make it very pretty.
It'll be a Blizzard gacha game ala Heroes of the Storm. Another game where I'll never pull a nat 5 and will constantly hear jokes about Tracer being fed any other female hero.
09/10/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Bromdai
Hm. Unannounced first person game. Brand new with their fancy new AI tech mixed with Co-op and RPG thingies. Some kind of first person fantasy thing in the style of Destiny, maybe?
I wouldn't get too excited or start speculating too hard yet. Blizzard constantly has unannounced projects in development, most of which go nowhere, and they've even had job postings for unannounced projects that ultimately died while remaining unannounced. Wait until we've got some confirmation that it might actually turn out to be something. Or have you forgotten about Titan already?
09/10/2018 06:53 PMPosted by Alurna
I know it's probably just an expansion, but part of me hopes it's an MMORPG, just because I think they could do a good job using Diablo as a basis for one.

IF we ever get a diablo mmo, i hope to god it's NOT isometric.

i hope it's like wow. that's the only way i'd play it.
Diablo died with 2 for me. 3 was trash.
09/11/2018 12:11 AMPosted by Thunderbash
Diablo died with 2 for me. 3 was trash.

Yeah Diablo 3 does feel a lot better in a lot of regards. The maps were a lot more open, for starters. The story was still pretty good. Diablo 3's story about how mankind are de-powered Gods who are now getting their power back just doesn't really appeal to me. I liked it better the way it was in the first two games, and would happily go back to that.
09/11/2018 04:17 AMPosted by Alurna
Yeah Diablo 3 does feel a lot better in a lot of regards. The maps were a lot more open, for starters. The story was still pretty good. Diablo 3's story about how mankind are de-powered Gods who are now getting their power back just doesn't really appeal to me. I liked it better the way it was in the first two games, and would happily go back to that.

i much prefer the humans being nephalem, a power in their own right. no gods no masters, unable to be lorded over by haughty immortals that are outright hostile or unfeeling.

i'll always like things like that better than bowing and praising some higher power. it's like illidan vs. xe'ra "there can be no chosen one, it's up to us to save ourselves"