Raids are Unplayable in BFA

Mac Technical Support
Can someone explain to me why am I able to get around 60 fps steadily out in the open world and dungeons, but in Uldir on boss fights my fps drastically drops down to 10-18 fps? BTW I'm playing on the lowest graphic settings in the system menu for Raids.

If I'm able to play modern games on my bootcamp partition on Ultra settings and get a steady 60 fps if not more, then darn I should be able to play a game that's over 10 years old, or at least you would think.

Think it's time for WoW to come into 2018 and utilize the GPU instead of the CPU.

MacPro (mid 2012)
Processor - 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Graphics - Radeon RX 480 8192 MB
Memory - 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
I know the feeling. I have the same issue, but mine is an Early 2008. I play the Witcher 3 and various other Steam games via BootCapm at High, or Ultra settings on some of thoses games and no problems at all, running between 40/70 fps. In WoW in the open world I get around 50-60 easily, but as soon as I'm in raid or in a World Boss, it drops down to 10-15 fps. But since WoW is CPU based and my computer is no longer supported it makes the matter worst.

Spec:
MacPro (early 2008)
Dual Quad-Core 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon
nVidia GeForce GTX 970 - 4GB
24GB RAM
09/12/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Lauragosa
MacPro (early 2008)

lol man are u joking for real..

u shouldnt even post on the forum complaining if u have a machine that is 5+ years old especially laptop..

u have a laptop that is almost 10+ years old and expect to play in good condition..??

time to save some money or are u gonna play forever on a 10+ old machine
09/12/2018 05:25 PMPosted by Nausic0F286B
09/12/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Lauragosa
MacPro (early 2008)

lol man are u joking for real..

u shouldnt even post on the forum complaining if u have a machine that is 5+ years old especially laptop..

u have a laptop that is almost 10+ years old and expect to play in good condition..??

time to save some money or are u gonna play forever on a 10+ old machine

A MacPro is not a laptop....

(Just stating the obvious)
@Sage: The poster you quoted is a known TS troll. Why he hasn't been shadowbanned at this point is beyond me. Just report and move on.
@Tia: Yeah, I know. Normally I ignore those posts but I see the Mac Pro getting lumped in with laptops on occasion here and elsewhere -- call it a reflex action. I'll suppress it next time.
09/12/2018 08:32 AMPosted by Blacck
Think it's time for WoW to come into 2018 and utilize the GPU instead of the CPU.

Sort of not how it works, the actual way to fix it would to be to make WoW use the CPU better. I'd say 90% of players now would be using at minimum a quad core CPU. Let alone those using CPUs with even higher core counts, which are becoming more common these days. Yet WoW still uses (in my experience at least...) only 2 cores.

So yeah, you might have 8 or 12 cores but if WoW is only using 2 of those cores at 2.4GHz you might as well be playing on an old Core 2 Duo and not have the extra cores there at all. Clock speed is king.*

In the case of the Mac Pro 2012 if you really wanted to, you do have CPU upgrade options, even if you want to keep using 2x6 cores. There's the X5690 which is 6C @ 3.46GHz/3.73GHz T or a cheaper option the X5680 which is 6C @ 3.33GHz/3.60GHz T. Both can be had pretty cheap second hand on eBay. Both can just be swapped in and work without any other changes.**

Would probably take a lot of work and rewriting of things to multi thread the game properly but I mean with the current machines people are running now, it would make sense for them to do it. But hey, game runs fine on cookie cutter 4-5GHz i7 PCs so why bother redoing anything since that's probably literally 75% of their player base having no issues at all.

I've got a X5680 on the way for my Mac Pro, don't know if it will make a difference or not, but for how cheap I got it, I don't really mind either way.

* Yes I know IPC increases in newer CPUs is a thing that should be considered but that's not the point I'm trying to make.
** https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-pro-cpu-compatibility-list.1954766/
09/13/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Milendella
I've got a X5680 on the way for my Mac Pro, don't know if it will make a difference or not, but for how cheap I got it, I don't really mind either way.

Yet to try a raid, but so far the difference in any area that I assumed to be CPU limited is minor. (Maybe 5-7fps better if that). Probably not worth the upgrade in my books.

3.33GHz 6-Core Xeon (was a 2.66GHz Quad Core Xeon)
32GB RAM
GTX 1070 8GB
Try this week's world boss -- I forgot to put my machine on raid settings before going in and it was painful. A full 40-player raid on top of a mountain with view distance set to max will tax your system, especially at graphics setting '10'.