Blue Admits WoW Only Uses Single Core In CPU

General Discussion
My Original Statement:
"Can someone explain to me why am I able to get around 60 fps steadily out in the open world and dungeons, but in Uldir on boss fights my fps drastically drops down to 10-18 fps? BTW I'm playing on the lowest graphic settings in the system menu for Raids.

If I'm able to play modern games on my bootcamp partition on Ultra settings and get a steady 60 fps if not more, then darn I should be able to play a game that's over 10 years old, or at least you would think.

MacPro (mid 2012)
Processor - 2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
Graphics - Radeon RX 480 8192 MB
Memory - 32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3"

Blue Response
"Zuvykree
Support Forum Agent
2976 posts
2 hours ago
Howdy!

Your Xeon CPU is not supported. It knows how to run the game but performance wise will not do it as expected. The base and Max clock of the E5645 is
2.40 GHz to 2.67 GHz, both are lower than the base clock of the lowest Intel CPU we support: i5-760. This CPU has a base clock of 2.80 GHz upto 3.33Ghz. The main factor here is World of Warcraft still prefers strong single core/threaded performance over more cores.

In a raid like this you have a lot of action going on in a small space. If a world boss fight is big enough, battlegrounds, or Warfront with everyone focused on that final boss, you will see major dips in performance. How bad depends on your system's setup and settings. Your CPU's performance in this case isn't helping as much.

You can press "Esc" -> System -> Graphics -> Check: Enable Raid and Battleground Settings -> Then set your Environment settings to 1. Disable Outline Mode. Goto Sound -> Set Sound Channels to Low and Sound Cache to Small. These settings should help lower your overall CPU impact.

As for feedback you can always post on our General forums or provide direct feedback in game to our developers in game "Esc" -> Help -> Submit Suggestion. If you would like to see them focus on this in the future.

Thank you."

My Response
"So basically what you're saying is the coding for your MMO is completely outdated and does not look like it's coming into the new era of gaming? Not even with the GPUs we have today or even use a cpu to it's fullest potential with multi cores? That's what you're saying right?"

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769126987
This explains a lot o.O
I think most people knew that already.
Haven't we known this for ages?

Comes with the territory of playing a game whose core engine was built over 10 years ago.
This is pretty common knowledge.
Hmmm... an MMO that's well over 10 years old and counting has outdated code and resources.

Who would've thought?!
This game is hitting its physical limitations.
09/12/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Secular
It's not the age of the engine

It's how MMOs work.

Someone else smarter than me explained it well here:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762037596?page=2#post-36
edit: nvm
09/12/2018 12:50 PMPosted by Blacck
World of Warcraft still prefers strong single core/threaded performance over more cores.

This is pretty common knowledge

Yep....always consider that when building my PCs.
This is nothing new and it's not particularly unique to WoW either, especially for older games.

I'm sorry it came as a surprise to you OP but it's one of the key points you'd get to fast in any discussion of how to build a gaming PC for WoW or anything else.

The good news is I can hardly remember a time when there were so many powerful CPUs available for relatively so little money.
You'll find even today very few games utilize multi cores, even the modern ones. That said you're likely still benefitting from having multi core in regards to things running in the background outside of the game.

Rule of thumb when it comes to gaming, get the core with the higher number, even if it's less cores in total.

Yeah.. but we still get people surprised when they find out wow is intentionally designed to be habit forming and waste our time.
This is why I switched to a four core higher clocked Intel from my six core lower clocked AMD.
I CANNA GIVE HER ANY MOOR CAPTAIN, I'M GIVEN ER ALL WE GOT!!!
And this is news how? Anyone with a functioning brain who displays cpu and gpu statistics can see that wow has awful optimization. It's been known for years and yet we still give blizzard our money for an unpolished product.
09/12/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Zeropointt
I CANNA GIVE HER ANY MOOR CAPTAIN, I'M GIVEN ER ALL WE GOT!!!

SHE KINNA TAKE MUCH MORE!
Not in Linux:

It uses both of my cores, because Linux (not because of Wow.)

The OS actually splits the load evenly.

I need to upgrade to a several more cores CPU.