Whats the point of Island Expeditions?

BFA Dungeons, Island Expeditions, and Raids
So I am curious what the point is here. I have done a few and unlocked heroic, and have done a few of those. All I ever get is around 200-300 azerite. Is there more to this? It takes longer than just going and doing World quests and offers about the same as one of those..
You get a bonus 2500 AP after doing 5 runs. Only once per week, though.
The point... To burn time. I got tired of them a while ago, but you have to sludge through them for the weekly reward.
To force you to log into the game and keep your subscription active.
It's a pve arena match.

With no rewards and no ranking.

If you got more rewards for finishing faster, actual rewards in general, and there was a mythic leaderboard people would be falling all over each other to run islands.
Yea. IEs kinda fell flat. After running 5-6 per week for the 2500 AP bonus, I praise helix that I don't need to do another one for that week. Cannot imagine how I'll feel about them later, as it's only been a few weeks of BfA and I already despise them, but feel obligated to do the content if I want AP.

Seems like mythic+ should reward more AP per boss or per instance clear, as separating the loot in M+ from the AP in IEs just means you have to grind twice the trash content for half the rewards.
09/17/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Nvizziboo
Yea. IEs kinda fell flat. After running 5-6 per week for the 2500 AP bonus, I praise helix that I don't need to do another one for that week. Cannot imagine how I'll feel about them later, as it's only been a few weeks of BfA and I already despise them, but feel obligated to do the content if I want AP.

Seems like mythic+ should reward more AP per boss or per instance clear, as separating the loot in M+ from the AP in IEs just means you have to grind twice the trash content for half the rewards.

Agreed. I've already stopped running IE's because they feel like such a miserable chore. Necklace level will suffer, but WoW just isn't compelling enough these days to warrant such a grind.
09/17/2018 08:04 AMPosted by Signey
09/17/2018 07:47 AMPosted by Nvizziboo

Agreed. I've already stopped running IE's because they feel like such a miserable chore. Necklace level will suffer, but WoW just isn't compelling enough these days to warrant such a grind.

I'm in the same boat. I did a few with several characters and it didn't compel me. I don't play this game to do repetitive chores, I play for fun. At this rate, it's more fun for me to finish my argus reps and level those than do Island expeditions. Calling them "content" is charitable at best.

Honestly, only once the AP level for your artifact weapon in legion was buffed like 5000% did it finally feel rewarding to earn it. 2500 AP for maxing out the weekly? Pass. I don't understand why they made it a race, isn't that what M+ is for?
wait you get a 25k ap after 5-6? wow
09/18/2018 04:46 PMPosted by Zarnia
wait you get a 25k ap after 5-6? wow

2500 not 25k. It takes 15+k to upgrade at lower lvls still so it's inadequate entirely. Starting to really dislike this game because of this stuff...
Did the weekly for 2 weeks in a row, haven't been back. They're boring and not rewarding enough to warrant my time
Well of course they have some nagging bonus for doing x number that you can't acumulate and expires if you don't finish it in time. Just another skinner box mechanic and they wonder why people complain the game feels like a chore and quit after every xpac release.

Whether you're hardcore or casual this game doesn't respect your time or effort. Hardcore? Your progress is gated at every opportunity until the next reset window is up. Casual? You miss out on rewards when you're not playing, and when you do get time to play they didn't accumulate so you do the task and then get gated anyway.