Rip Paladins

Classic Discussion
If Classic is going to be what it was before BC prepatch, there will be quite a few classes that'll be useless.

Paladins chief among them. Unless you want to play a buff bot.

Druids were also quite bad from what I remember.

At least Shamans will have bus shock and mega windfury, and unlike Paladins, give out roughly the same buffs but they scale better once you reach Naxx 40 and the shaman only needs to push the button once.
So dumb down 90% of the game so high end raiders can play certain specs?
I'll enjoy it, did when I was feral over a decade ago.
Then dont play. I managed fine on this Paladin. Healed during progressive raids and farm content they let me go Ret. Also got gear. Find a good guild.

I happen to like that Paladins actually used to be hybrids. I could run a dungeon as Ret and if the healer went down, I could usually heal the encounter to its conclusion.

The retail Paladin doesnt interest me. Hybrid isnt a thing anymore. You spec Ret and you are just another dps like any other class.
If you strictly put classes and speccs into dps, tank and healer categorys then yes, hybrids wont be top tier on either of thoose. But then the class design that is vanilla is not for thoose people.

Paladin is actually a great class. PvP wise very strong especially if one understands the supportish nature of the paladin, making him imo the best pvp healer/support in the game.

In Raids, healing paladins are actually very nice. In naxx the heal paladins actually finally get alot more spellcrit. Clever use of a ret paladin with nightfall, perhaps t1 set and the wisdom/light judgments can be realy benefital to the raid. WIll they top the meter most of the time like fury warriors/rogues do? No. But that is okay.
Buff bot as a Paladin?

Nah, I'll be playing Prot/Holy mix so I can heal and tank 5 mans.
If I roll pally for classic I'm curious to see how they go. I've never healed before, may be interesting to give a shot since healing looks much more streamlined in classic compared to live. Same if I try a shaman. If not I'm also considering Warrior but those are the only three classes that are really appealing to me (despite not playing a shaman on live, ever)
09/22/2018 05:45 AMPosted by Nobleshield
If I roll pally for classic I'm curious to see how they go. I've never healed before, may be interesting to give a shot since healing looks much more streamlined in classic compared to live. Same if I try a shaman. If not I'm also considering Warrior but those are the only three classes that are really appealing to me (despite not playing a shaman on live, ever)

I never liked Paladin healing. Priest And Druid were more my speed. Only having Flash of Light And Holy Light as your healing tools really leaves you struggling when the other DPS take damage and you've got to figure out when/if you can take focus off the tank And what priority your DPS have to the group.

A good healer can pull through, but it's more stressful than it needs to be IMO. As always, your mileage may vary.
My old guild had a ret/prot Pally, feral druid, shadow priest, fury war, etc... and we progressed 2nd/3rd on the server at the time. There was one min/max guild we were never going to catch, and while we made it to Naxx, I’m not sure if anyone on our server ever cleared it.... ilterendi or Jesters might have, dunno. But if running second/third on your server and seeing most of the game content is bad.... then yeah, no ret Pally maybe.

Honestly, I always felt hybrids and off specs were underestimated in raids. My guild leader was able to find a way to work our composition so that they were some of our strongest players. Maybe they didn’t top DPS, but they certainly had a huge overall contribution!
09/22/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Lightvoìd
If Classic is going to be what it was before BC prepatch, there will be quite a few classes that'll be useless.

At least Shamans will have bus shock and mega windfury, and unlike Paladins, give out roughly the same buffs but they scale better once you reach Naxx 40 and the shaman only needs to push the button once.

Oh look, another person who didn't actually play vanilla babbling about how certain classes were broken, this is new and exciting...
Paladins are not useless. Paladin tanks are amazingly nice. Paladin healers are amazingly nice. Ret/Other specs are godawful unless you know what you're doing.

Learn to play a Paladin. Learn how to go Paladinning.
all 3 of those classes can heal just fine in raids, and feral druids and prot paladins can offtank just fine
and ret paladins can dps when they get to cast exorcism, but they won't do a great job at it unless they wear spell dmg and proc gear and such instead of going for a proper two-hand build

they're all at least decent in PvP in any spec, though
The life of the paladin is autoattacking mobs until lvl 20. I hope ya'll have good music playing while you grind hehe
You can definitely raid as ret. Raids will not be as picky about dps distribution the way they were back in the day. Everyone knows what macros are and how to cycle through their abilities in an efficient way. However, raids probably won't have more than one or two ret pallies.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

What you "remember", or what you "read on the internet"?

Paladins are the best healers in vanilla.

Once they get crit they are the most op healer in game.

Not only that but they are also the best healers in pvp

And ret is really good in pvp.

once u see pallys in aq and naxx they will have so much crit that will allow them to spam heals with no mana issues. they are not buff bots.

Big guilds are going to first Gear there Main warrior tanks and Pallys first for progression
[quote="207676906537"]ret paladins can dps when they get to cast exorcism, but they won't do a great job at it unless they wear spell dmg and proc gear and such instead of going for a proper two-hand build

they're all at least decent in PvP in any spec, though[/quote

Ret pallys dont need to go 2hand for good damage, One hand ret has a much higher cost in both consumables(mana pots and runes and such things) and gearing (rly need to do your research to do it right), but it does do more damage overall. 2hand ret is more focused on a ret pally's very high autoattack damage, and thus requires less use of consumables, but does less damage.
LOL AT HOLY PALADIN BEING USELESS!!!!!!! ROOOOFFLLLLLCOPTER

Wow I just laughed so hard, good one.
People need to stop perpetrating this lie. Did hybrid dps specs do as much damage as a pure? No

They on the other hand brought a ton of buffs, auras, and other forms of utility to the raid.

You have the ability to raid as a non healing hybrid class. You just have to actually play your class.