Character Concept: Half-Gnome?

Wyrmrest Accord
So, I've been tinkering with my future Kul Tiran in my head for a few months now, and after adventuring around in Kul Tiras for a bit, I got a strange idea.

We know that gnomes have a pretty strong presence in Boralus and throughout other areas in Kul Tiras. At least, up until all the gnomes in Boralus mysteriously disappeared, which is obviously foreshadowing SOMETHING. So I got to thinking...

Can humans and gnomes interbreed?

Like, it's implied pretty heavily that the gnomes that have lived in Kul Tiras have lived there for a while - long enough, perhaps, to "cooperate" with the human population in more ways than one. Which means that, if such a thing were possible, there may well be a few half-gnomes wandering around Boralus.

And although there's no real lore precedent for it, come on. Gnomes are, biologically speaking, just really tiny humans. If orcs and draenei can be genetically compatible, I don't see why gnomes and humans wouldn't be.

The only real issue is that I wouldn't get to use that shiny new Kul Tiran human model, but maybe I could play that for laughs.

"You're half-gnome?"
"Yup."
"But you're so...tall."
"My father liked tall women, alright?"

I dunno - your thoughts, Wyrmrest Community?
The lore on the possibility of that is unclear... Generally, I would say if you have a character concept you like, run with it. Just be aware of the two big risks: some people are going to call you names and refuse to play with you (probably no great loss), and Blizzard could retcon your backstory out of possibility at any time.

If you can live with that, by all means stretch your wings! It sounds like a nifty idea.
Ask yourself how this would add to your character in any meaningful way that didn’t go beyond “Oh, you’re X? That’s disgusting/cool.”

Also a gnome/human halfbreed would probably be deformed, with a short chest and limbs too long or short for its body, on top of likely numerous problems with its organs and spine.

They might look like tiny humans, but gnomes are still their own race that likely have a good bit changed about their organ system to fit their smaller bodies. It’d likely lead to situations such as have lungs too small to support a human-sized creature or a heart that wasn’t strong enough to effectively pump blood.

My safest suggestion is to just role play a regular race. Most RPers don’t have the writing chops to handle halfbreeds properly, and it almost always comes across poorly and as a way to garner pity or an excuse to use growth pots and make their characters stronger than the hulk.
09/22/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Marbelma
Yes.

Do half-dwarves (i.e. human and dwarven parentage) exist?
There are currently no half-dwarves in the lore, but anything is possible with magic!
Ask CDev, Round 4
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/12405830492
09/22/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Marbelma
Yes.

Do half-dwarves (i.e. human and dwarven parentage) exist?
There are currently no half-dwarves in the lore, but anything is possible with magic!
Ask CDev, Round 4
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/12405830492

I’m not sure I’d take a four year old post that’s been retconned on several of the subjects it lists as fact my man
Some half races to me are some of those things that might not exist because Blizzard didn't get around to putting any in game. For example, there are female ogres, but none actually depicted in game. I figure the same thing would be the case for the more plausible half races.

We see orcs, humans and draenei able to interbreed even though they come from three different planets and they each have different origins and are incredibly different from one another. I don't see why humans, dwarves and gnomes can't interbreed when they are all from the same planet and have very similar origins (being titanic creations suffering the curse of the flesh).

There's no solid lore saying this can happen or these exist, but I wouldn't rule them out as impossible and I do think Blizzard does a bad job sometimes at fleshing out certain populations in the world.
09/22/2018 10:25 AMPosted by Dakama
I’m not sure I’d take a four year old post that’s been retconned on several of the subjects it lists as fact my man
Lore is lore. Until specifically retconned or decanonized, it's canon.
Unhelpful broad sweep of an answer: Roleplay anything you want considering how bonkers the setting has become (within reason, shoutout to those WH40K space marines back in Cataclysm). Like Xialoen said, orcs and draenei can. Human and orcs can. And those three races are each from different planets.

I've seen lots of dwarf/human characters. Gnome/human isn't that hard to imagine.
This isn't particularly about the lore, but my experiences seeing half characters. So far I've seen:

* half blood elf/troll
* half night elf/troll
* half troll/pandaren
* half orc/pandaren
* half orc/draenei (which is lore supported)
* half orc/human (also lore supported)

Out of these I haven't seen any overly negative reaction and those players were able to find rp. I can't speak to if the alliance rp scene is any more or less friendly to it, but I do think you'd be capable of playing a half-gnome and finding people who would still want to rp with you.
The biggest take-away of a Human/Gnome union is that the phrase "Oh that poor woman" can have two different meanings in the same context.
09/22/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Xiaolen
half orc/draenei

what caused them is horrific though

09/22/2018 10:38 AMPosted by Cannibal
Lore is lore. Until specifically retconned or decanonized, it's canon.

pretty much this

as much as a lazy answer it was, literally any halfbreed of normal races is possible if you use magic, apparently

just don't be a half demon
Yeah, I'm certainly not saying it's good writing, but... it's canon. We have to acknowledge it ICly if you RP within the lore. Half-saurok half-ogres could be pumped out by a mage if they wanted.
Isn't there a rumored "Junker Gnome" allied race? Could be why the gnomes in Boralus disappeared.
Do it. There's no reason to believe they can't interbreed since everyone else can. They've been allies for ages and have the same ultimate racial origins.
As mentioned before it's technically viable, however...

09/22/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Dakama
Ask yourself how this would add to your character in any meaningful way that didn’t go beyond “Oh, you’re X? That’s disgusting/cool.”

I think this in particular should be considered. By initial appearances it seems as though the concept doesn't go far beyond people's initial reaction to this trait.

Mind you I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just that if you are I hope you have more planned than just bizarre breeding as the character may end up rather boring to interact with or even portray otherwise.
Make them have really long human legs but the rest look like a gnome.
09/22/2018 01:49 PMPosted by Rasks
Make them have really long human legs but the rest look like a gnome.

toad very excited with legs showing
retcon this, decanonized that.

The Bronze Dragonflight have admitted that the timelines are broken and beyond their ability to repair. There's a direct connection between the Timeless Isle and at least one AU in-game. No magical hearthstone needed. Just go to the spot and travel through in either direction. If there's one it's entirely possible there are others connecting to other AUs we don't know about. In all the millennia that the Caves of Time have existed plenty of other timelines were accessible. It's entirely possible something happened to an adventurer there that wouldn't normally happen in Azeroth. At least one Dragon can summon infinite armies from infinite worlds to Azeroth. That pretty much means there's a way for all kinds of unusual permutations of whatever sentient beings exist in Blizz's multiverse to have fallen down the rabbit hole in our direction.

On a whole other level, Blizz has clearly stated that npcs are unreliable narrators. Specifically those who tell lore during quests. Canonical sources contradict themselves. They've also made it clear that there's a constant trade off between lore consistency and effective game design.

The strict lore lawyers & lore fundamentalists seem to ignore all of that for the most part & insist that their personal interpretation is the one true and only way. If the fundamentalists rerolled a character everytime a patch changed something they wouldn't have time to bother the rest of us. So pretty much they're as liberal as can be, they just don't seem to want to give the same latitude to others. There's a huge difference between canon in a religious context and what it means in game design. For designers canon is the simply guidelines they use to create whatever the current version of a game is. For them canon is everything from model design standards to whatever is the current version of quest text. It's QC & QA guidelines for a product. That's all it is.

As Kairoz points out "The presence of the Timeless Isle is proof that many things are possible beyond the boundaries of linear thinking." For RPers with a healthy attitude about playing well with others canon is a plumb bob, not field artillery. Be reasonable in your character design, but don't let others' prejudices spoil your fun.

With gnomes there are two key points to consider in my opinion. First of all, they are descendants of mechanical constructs that suffered Curse of the Flesh. A non-biological origin might (emphasis on the might) make dating out of your species unfruitful for them. OTOH they are masters of technology. So if anyone has a decent shot at some Azerothian version of IVF, genetic manipulation, or whatever other kind of device would aid cross-species fertilization it's likely to be them.

Coda: Don't go around wearing a neon sign that flashes "Hey! I'm a Gnome hybrid! look at me!" That's troll bait. Be yourself, but get to know others IC first :)
Half gnomes make me really uncomfortable. Then again female gnomes in general do.
09/22/2018 03:27 PMPosted by Ohtion
Half gnomes make me really uncomfortable. Then again female gnomes in general do.

It's called attraction. And it's okay. The more you deny your feelings for Gnome women, the more uncomfortable you will get.