is Lich King back!?

General Discussion
09/24/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Astalsam
09/24/2018 11:13 AMPosted by Tyberim
Spoilers below

He's not 'back'. You accompany the spirit of Vol'jin to Icecrown Citadel to ask the Lich King a question about the circumstances of Vol'jin's death. The Lich King tells Vol'jin to get out of his man cave, and you leave shortly afterward.

Does he say anything about how Vol'jin was tricked in picking Sylvanas as Warchief? There is a conspiracy that Vol'jin was told by an Old God to pick Sylvanas as Warchief.

Vol'jin finds out that it wasnt a Loa that told him that Sylvanas was the best choice for Warchief. Something in the Shadowlands told him to choose her, but it wasnt Bwansamdi. The next obvious choice was the Lich King, and he denied speaking to Vol'jin as well.

Which means there is an unknown, third party involved. Could be an Old God, but it might not be.
I think he will be back eventually. Playing as a DK in Legion, well, Bolvar isn't quite right in the head anymore and he's definitely up to something.
09/24/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Tyberim
09/24/2018 11:16 AMPosted by Astalsam

Does he say anything about how Vol'jin was tricked in picking Sylvanas as Warchief? There is a conspiracy that Vol'jin was told by an Old God to pick Sylvanas as Warchief.

Vol'jin finds out that it wasnt a Loa that told him that Sylvanas was the best choice for Warchief. Something in the Shadowlands told him to choose her, but it wasnt Bwansamdi. The next obvious choice was the Lich King, and he denied speaking to Vol'jin as well.

Which means there is an unknown, third party involved. Could be an Old God, but it might not be.

Cool!
Hoping he has new openings for dk. Wtb faction swap back to scourge plz.
09/24/2018 11:30 AMPosted by Cybillshade
Hoping he has new openings for dk. Wtb faction swap back to scourge plz.

I doubt Blizzard would want to make a new faction that only has DKs. They would have to do a lot more. Then there is the fact that they only want two factions, seeing it will dwindle the players on both sides if they add more.
I've always felt like there was a deeper link between Jaina and Arthas than we saw in the game. And in BFA, it's clear that Jaina is starting to go down some dark paths in contrast to her older, more "good girl" iterations.

It would be awesome if jaina finally succumbs to her rage and is like "you know what?! f*** all this. everybody hates me already, i can't seem to do right by anyone. even my own hometown wants to kill me."

Then she goes to Icecrown, takes out Bolvar, and becomes the new Lich Queen! she's already all ice-magicky, so she would fit right in.
09/24/2018 11:08 AMPosted by Epicbeard
Bolvar is the Lich King.

There must ALWAYS be a Lich King
Well unless we just nuke northrend.
09/24/2018 11:27 AMPosted by Astalsam

I hope so. I think it would be cool if they reference more stuff from old content. You know, tie the content together.

Well, the content has been out for a while, but I guess that some of this stuff could be considered a little spoilerific, so...

***Spoilers***

The major Lich King references so far would include:
-Anduin marching into the throne room in Lordaeron (call back to Arthas returning to kill his father)
-Sylvanas doing to Dalaryn and the Night Elves what Arthas did to her in WC3
-Jaina regretting that she was unable to save Arthas at the turning point in his journey into darkness
-Taelia is Bolvar's daughter
-And then we have the whole story of Calia Menethil, Arthas' sister, and the lightforged or redeemed undead.

So this is a core part of the story.

On can only speculate as to where it is leading.
09/24/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Veryserious
I've always felt like there was a deeper link between Jaina and Arthas than we saw in the game. And in BFA, it's clear that Jaina is starting to go down some dark paths in contrast to her older, more "good girl" iterations.

It would be awesome if jaina finally succumbs to her rage and is like "you know what?! f*** all this. everybody hates me already, i can't seem to do right by anyone. even my own hometown wants to kill me."

Then she goes to Icecrown, takes out Bolvar, and becomes the new Lich Queen! she's already all ice-magicky, so she would fit right in.

Have you not played the Alliance campaign, it is okay if you didn't. You see she regrets not being able to stop people from making mistakes. Jaina thought she could have done more, when she could not have stopped the. Her mother said "forgive yourself," That was the main point of her story. She first believed in peace between the Alliance and Horde. Then when the Horde destroyed everything she worked for, she wanted vengeance. She almost destroyed Durator. If it wasn't for her boyfriend saying ,"you will be like Arthas is she goes through with it." Then she would have turned into an Arthas. She did not go down that path. She then returned to her home and wanted forgiveness, while helping the Alliance. Her mother forgave her after seeing her memories of what happened. Jaina will not go down Arthas's path.
I do not get wut powers the lich king and the voodo Bostawai loa god have. It seems like titans were supa cool beings made to protect planets and became bad like Ragnoros. Then there is loa who have powers to grant to troll worshippers. Is the lich king magic cause he has a undead helmet? Why is the helmet so cool? Is it like the ring in Tolkien? Does the lich king and bostanwe get to make you undead? Is there a bigger god who claims dead souls for his help or paradise? World of warcraft theology is not a solid framework. It seems like they just took Greek Norse voodoo and stuffed it all up a a cow and milked the crazy cream that came out for their pantheon of gods and strong demigods who get cool helms and swords to .wake them immortal.

Overall it is a bit silly and like a lame Dawn scifi fantasy hack book u buy cuz tge cover has a hot girl in chainmail on it.
09/24/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Suréna
***Spoilers***

The major Lich King references so far would include:
-Anduin marching into the throne room in Lordaeron (call back to Arthas returning to kill his father)
-Sylvanas doing to Dalaryn and the Night Elves what Arthas did to her in WC3
-Jaina regretting that she was unable to save Arthas at the turning point in his journey into darkness
-Taelia is Bolvar's daughter
-And then we have the whole story of Calia Menethil, Arthas' sister, and the lightforged or redeemed undead.

So this is a core part of the story.

On can only speculate as to where it is leading.

I know and it is cool. I have completed the campaign, and I loved the story of Jaina.
Lich Pappa got sick of these pretenders and want to show them how real evil works.
09/24/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Rylldargith
Is there a bigger god who claims dead souls for his help or paradise?

They have been teasing some sort of powerful death god or entity in the background for a while now.

You can see how the warcraft cosmology is structured in the illustration here:

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Cosmic_forces

Granted, that is something that has evolved over time. But anyway, it's a decent illustration.

So one can infer that various necromantic or death-related traditions and powers in Warcraft are drawn from the same primal force, with this mysterious entity possibly being an incarnation of that force, a bit like the titans, naaru, void lords, etc.

Just speculation, but that seems plausible based on what we have seen.
The Lich King, Bolivar, never left.

Death Knight artifact weapons were made from the shards of Frostmourne and in Legion DKs were running around resurrecting dead heroes including High Inquisitor Whitemane of the Scarlet Crusade. He tried to resurrect Tyrion but failed.

The Bolivar is just as powerful as Arthas was at this point and has completely reassembled his 4 horsemen.
If I find out Arthas is my father, then I totally did the Luke/Leia thing with whatsherface.

I might have to go full emo and you guys can join me in sucking down blue milk from those mutant seals off the shore of Kul'Tiras.
Jaina will become the next lich king after falling to the horde.
Don't call it a comeback. He's been here for years.
How can the LK still even exist after the Legion was defeated? or more specifically after Kil'Jeaden was defeated? KJ created the LK after the 2nd war right?
09/24/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Mistcat
Don't call it a comeback: he's been here for years.

Too Soon?
How I think it’s going to go tae gets killed by the old gods>bolvar gets angry and declares war on old golds and Sylvanas for her actions causing this>Invades with the scourge>forces anduins hand in either fighting the scourge or sylvanas> wotlk 2.0 begins