Mac Mojave

Mac Technical Support
Will Mac Mojave slow down WoW?
Yes. The load screen times are now excruciatingly long. Getting the map to render takes up to 15 seconds. This is on a 6 month old iMac. I would wait before upgrading to Mojave until there is a WoW fix.
Check your config.wtf files for this line:

SET worldPreloadNonCritical "0"

If that line is not present or is set to "1", put it in and/or set it to "0". Mojave shouldn't have changed loading screen times at all. Either you got changed to APFS somehow on a non-SSD or you lost that line in your config file.
09/25/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Tiapriestess

If that line is not present or is set to "1", put it in and/or set it to "0". Mojave shouldn't have changed loading screen times at all. Either you got changed to APFS somehow on a non-SSD or you lost that line in your config file.

The line was not in my config file, so I added it. At first it did not appear to improve either the screen load times or the map loading. However, once I took the time to go to each map page the map is now almost back to normal. After I logged out and back in a second time the load time was much more acceptable. I'm not sure how this line was missing from my config file. I certainly didn't remove it. My only change was installing Mojave.

Thank you very much for the help!

Fusion drives got updated to APFS, thanks btw will try this out.
09/25/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Cimaron

This shouldn't be happening since APFS is incompatible with fusion drives. I don't recall that changing thus far.
09/26/2018 01:23 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
09/25/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Cimaron

This shouldn't be happening since APFS is incompatible with fusion drives. I don't recall that changing thus far.

APFS for Fusion Drives is a new feature with Mojave, it was announced at WWDC. Fusion Drive Macs are automatically converted to APFS during the install process.
09/25/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Kayyaa
Yes. The load screen times are now excruciatingly long. Getting the map to render takes up to 15 seconds. This is on a 6 month old iMac. I would wait before upgrading to Mojave until there is a WoW fix.

Exactly the same situation for me.
09/26/2018 02:14 AMPosted by Incaely
09/26/2018 01:23 AMPosted by Tiapriestess

APFS for Fusion Drives is a new feature with Mojave, it was announced at WWDC. Fusion Drive Macs are automatically converted to APFS during the install process.

Correct...also having same issues and SET worldPreloadNonCritical "0" did not improve drawing times.
Swell. Guess the best advice is to stick with High Sierra for a .x version or two.
09/25/2018 10:38 PMPosted by Kayyaa

The line was not in my config file, so I added it. At first it did not appear to improve either the screen load times or the map loading. However, once I took the time to go to each map page the map is now almost back to normal. After I logged out and back in a second time the load time was much more acceptable. I'm not sure how this line was missing from my config file. I certainly didn't remove it. My only change was installing Mojave.

Thank you very much for the help!

Today when I loaded WoW everything is back to being slow again. I checked to make sure the config file still had that line and it does. Hopefully there is an update because this is really painfully slow!
Something to be aware of is that APFS on anything other than pure flash (SSD/NVMe) is going to suck. Bigtime. Combine that with CASC and, well, you get what you've got now.

If you have a Carbon Copy Cloner license, you might want to clone your drive, format the internal drive back to HFS+, and clone back. CCC can clone between APFS <-> HFS+.

APFS will never be good on non-flash media.
09/26/2018 09:45 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
APFS will never be good on non-flash media.

It seems there's no longer an option not to upgrade to APFS.
It seems that Fusion drives lost what to move to the SSD. After playing for a few days, WoW moved back to the SSD.

Also I did notice that WoW changed the game settings on its own after the Mojave update. It dropped the screen resolution back to 5k and the scaling to 100%. Seems the settings there are not really making sense there, since switching from 5k to 2.5 and reducing the scaling to 50% doesn't end up at 1.25 in Fullscreen as you would expect.

Anyway, WoW is back to nearly normal speed after this. Hoping for Blizzard to fix their games as I rather drop software that is not compatible than switching from a Unix OS.
Several days ago I ended up deleting WoW and doing a clean install (I kept my interface and WTF folders. And of course screenshots!). Things are pretty much back to normal for now and have been good for several days. I expect issues with patches over time, but plan to reinstall every so often if there isn't another way to fix this. After the reinstall the pages load quickly again and my map lag is gone.
WoW super slow for me after installing Mojave. The advice above does not look that promising, so I guess I'll wait, and endure the crap.
I upgraded to Mojave and many problems are happening. WoW is crushed every time. In reddit, a user gave a description (and no solution) about when it is going to crush.
I haven't encountered anything game-breaking, and I'm on an aged MacBook Pro. Overall I think Mojave an improvement over High Sierra, but WoW has certainly been glitchy at times. Especially slow when first logging in, but it usually clears up pretty quickly. However I can't safely swipe over to Safari and swipe back without it going non-responsive. Those are my issues. I'm hoping an update from either Apple or Blizzard will help in the near future. :D
I haven't noticed long load time increases - it's more the actual graphics. Everything seems to have small squares showing now, like the retina display doesn't know what to do anymore. whereas before the update to mojave WoW ran just fine on my macbook.

anyone else notice this?
load times increased for anyone on a HDD or fusion drive that got forced into APFS for 10.14, even though APFS is terrible for non SSD drives. apple is crazy for that mistake.