Complaints about Ret's lack of support?

Paladin
I have been playing this game since early vanilla, and this exact same pally since. I do not understand why so many people complain about ret not being ret enough and dumb stuff like that. The gameplay of Ret, doing ok dmg but not as good as pure & being able to do very good support is the play style of Holy now. Holy has the game play that Ret had back then if you spec for it, Ret is now what it's suppose to be a pure dps with some utilities just like every other dps.

So for all those that want to melee damage but not as good as a dps and have good support go play holy and stop complaining about Ret not being what it was.
This argument seems like a bit of a false construct, I can't think of a single ret pally in the past 10 years who has said 'gosh I wish I did less damage'
09/24/2018 04:14 PMPosted by Titanqt
This argument seems like a bit of a false construct, I can't think of a single ret pally in the past 10 years who has said 'gosh I wish I did less damage'

I know no1 said that, but that wast he trade off we had to go through when we still had strong support thats what made ret not as competitive in dps as the other dps classes. Now that ret is a true dps spec, if people want that lower dmg & good support then they just need to play holy.
Who’s complaining about this..

Wuttttt
You’ve been playing on a lightfored Draenei since vanilla? Dude.. that’s like.. hax times 10
09/24/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Chiptheripa
You’ve been playing on a lightfored Draenei since vanilla? Dude.. that’s like.. hax times 10

race changed probably.
09/24/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Chiptheripa

I've played this Paladin since midnight launch of BC, as a Blood Elf (faction changes didn't exist at the time).

Have you forgotten about race changes?
Ret support is fine? Not sure what the complaints are about. There's always been an element of "support the team, or just myself" to the spec. A good Ret knows when to sacrifice a window of damage or support, a bad one tunnels one or the other.
When I go Ret I hold even with any other DPS of similar gear. I'm not hardcore so take my base mythics with a grain of salt. But the damage feels fine and Ret can:

Give out two static buffs
Snare break
Damage immune
Off heal like a sunva!@#$%
Massive single target stun
Paladin sparkles on every spell

That is a lot more utility than other classes can hope to give,and it is all baseline (off heal is a talent).