Are we really supposed to have....

Demon Hunter
a different set of gear for each spec?

lol.

damn dude i dont have enough time for that!

would be cool if azerite traits could just be reforged for free when in a rested area.

it sucks that if i want to tank, i gotta spend money to activate my tank traits.

i guess i could go spend another 30 hours grinding a whole new set but that just seems not fun if i gotta be honest with u
They kind of throw 340 azerite pieces at you, so it should not be hard to find some pieces.

Maybe not optimal, but definitely some you can use.

Outside of that Veng still wants vers/haste and tanking trinkets are really mediocre, so you can just swap with very little downsides.
09/14/2018 11:01 PMPosted by Evoi
They kind of throw 340 azerite pieces at you, so it should not be hard to find some pieces.

Maybe not optimal, but definitely some you can use.

Outside of that Veng still wants vers/haste and tanking trinkets are really mediocre, so you can just swap with very little downsides.

yeah but ive got 355 azerite pieces, and they werent ez to get tbh i kinda got lucky getting them.

im not really a pve guy too, so that def hurts my gearing progress.
Yeah it's pretty bs . You have to put in alot of time . I'd love to be able to just switch to tank mode easy .. I dont wanna grind for 370+ gear and stuff twice in a row .
If you don't have enough time for that maybe you should consider:

1. Focusing only on one spec

Or

2. A hobby that is not an MMORPG

EDIT:

Also, I never want to encourage people with this mentality in any way, but making an off set that's just three pieces and maybe a trinket is easy to do passively. Just add any pieces you get while playing normally to your off set if they aren't an upgrade for your main set.
I remember when gear didn't have Strength/Agility/Intellect all on the same piece, and then there were PvP stats like Resilience, each DPS spec' would have its own set, you needed +resist gear for specific encounters, and you couldn't use your DPS gear to tank effectively (which now you only need to swap a whole 3 Azerite pieces and weapons on some classes).

you kids today don't even understand how easy it is now.
I remember carrying 3-4 sets as a druid... People complaining about 2 now?
Is this really that different from carrying different trinkets for each spec? And having to get different relics for each spec? And for most classes, having to carry different rings and possible other armor due to vastly different stat weights?

I mean, the idea behind Azerite isn't just that you carry additional pieces for your offspec (which is literally 100% identical to relics, except that you can actually hand-me-down Azerite from your main spec when you get better), it's that you carry a bunch of additional pieces period for hotswapping based on the demands on the encounter. It's somewhat akin to how most of us were carrying around at least a handful of extra legendaries, and items to swap in for our main legendaries, and probably the 2 extra set items we weren't actively using, so we could swap based on what would work best for whichever boss we were staring at.
09/15/2018 02:09 AMPosted by Rayu

im not really a pve guy too, so that def hurts my gearing progress.

You can always pick the "generic" traits on each azerite gear that aren't tied to a specific spec (dagger in the back, tidal surge, etc).

Some of them are quite good, even if not the absolute most optimal.

Besides... if you mostly PvP, even as Vengeance you'll probably want to pick DPS traits.
09/15/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Rayu
i could easily swap specs and my artifact weapon had everything i needed 2 be a tank.

But you had to farm 3 relics, relics specific to your tank specialization that you could not use for Havoc. And if you were doing it properly, you also had to carry around some alternative jewelry, trinkets, and legendaries. How is that different from having to farm 3 and only 3 Azerite items for your offspec? And really, it's not even a hard lock like it was for artifact weapons. You can easily use your Havoc Azerite armor in Vengeance, and it'll still give you the boatload of primary stat (which is what Demon Spikes scales with these days), you just won't have the traits for Veng (akin to using Havoc legendaries just for their stats as Veng in Legion).

There's literally no difference between this system and prior ones, at least on the spec-locking front. It's in fact substantially less punishing to offspecs than Legion's artifacts and legendaries were. You've always had to carry extra gear for your offspecs, throughout the history of the game. And it's gotten lighter and lighter over time. And BfA is still objectively the best expansion yet in terms of gearing offspecs.
You are overthinking it.

Havoc roughly values haste, crit, and vers the same with mastery lagging a little. Vengeance is a little more iffy on stat weights but the general consensus is that crit lags behind the other three.

So basically gear for Haste + Vers and take whatever Crit/Mastery happens to also come on the gear. If you get a 10 ilvl upgrade or higher, I'm willing to bet it'll always be better.

And what if a 5-10 ilvl upgrade is just barely worse? You get more health and probably only lose DPS in the single or double digits. Not a big deal.
09/15/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Felyssa
If you get a 10 ilvl upgrade or higher, I'm willing to bet it'll always be better.

The 355 Azerite chest I had drop for my in normal week 1 (exact same as my current chestpiece, just 15 ilevels lower) was a downgrade over my 340 one, because the latter had Revolving Blades. I've also passed over 20+ ilevel differences because mastery is so freakin garbage for Havoc atm (though I typically still keep a hold on those items for ilevel and Vengeance).

Higher ilevel doesn't necessarily mean better, even if there's a fairly significant ilevel difference. The only place that's essentially unconditionally true is main hand weapons, because of how all (non-caster) ability damage depends on weapon DPS in BfA.
09/14/2018 10:43 PMPosted by Rayu
a different set of gear for each spec?

lol.

damn dude i dont have enough time for that!

would be cool if azerite traits could just be reforged for free when in a rested area.

it sucks that if i want to tank, i gotta spend money to activate my tank traits.

i guess i could go spend another 30 hours grinding a whole new set but that just seems not fun if i gotta be honest with u

I personally would rather have two sets of specialized gear per set rather than two differnt characters with two different sets of gear. Back in the day we had PVP gear, PVE gear, and then special naked gear just for speed and gathering.(well almost naked)
I have mixed feelings about all this. Compared to "the good 'ol days", gearing for multiple specs is surprisingly easy nowadays.

At the same time, there's a part of me that wishes it were easier not because I'm lazy, but because I would like the barrier to tanking/healing to be as low as realistically possible.
09/16/2018 09:25 AMPosted by Blackmourne
I have mixed feelings about all this. Compared to "the good 'ol days", gearing for multiple specs is surprisingly easy nowadays.

At the same time, there's a part of me that wishes it were easier not because I'm lazy, but because I would like the barrier to tanking/healing to be as low as realistically possible.

But it already is. For every single tank spec, they have at least one DPS spec for which they can tank in gear entirely optimized (with the exception of a sword-and-board for warriors and paladins and a staff for BM) for that DPS spec and only miss out on Azerite armor traits and tank-oriented trinket effects (though most melee DPS trinkets aren't actually horrible for tanks, since primary and secondary stats are typically solid for them).

Do those Azerite traits matters? Sure. But you can absolutely tank heroics, mythic0's, and even lower keys without them. And deciding to tank in higher content should require at least a bit of gearing focus.

Healers are essentially the same. Again, excepting Azerite traits and trinkets, 2/3rds of healer specs (druid, shaman, both priest) can get everything else from at least one of their DPS specs, and the other 2 just need a weapon. And just as with tanks, they can absolutely handle the lower-end content without the benefits of those traits and trinkets. And in fact for all of those specs, everything except weapons and trinkets already innately swaps primary stats (and actually, even a fair amount of trinkets do, too, even to intellect), so those classes can usually gear up both their healer and tank spec simultaneously for most slots.

So ya, barrier to entry is already basically nil. Ya, you have to get weapons for some of them (3/6 tanks, 2/6 healers), and weapons are a chief complaint in BfA. But aside from weapons, the only spec-specific stuff you need falls into the category of optimizition, not literally can't do the job without it, and "optimized" isn't "required" unless you're pushing actually difficult content (where "difficult" is defined, in this context, based on your current ilevel, skill, and group).

So anyone that wants to can jump into tanking or healing, straight from their DPS gear, either innately or only with the need for a weapon. If they want to do that in more difficult content, then ya, they'll need to devote some effort into actually gearing for it. But to be perfectly honest, I don't see that as a downside. There should be at least some benefit to actually focusing on a spec and actively seeking to optimize it, and the intrinsic corollary to that is that you should not do as well, without that spec focus, as someone that is focusing on the spec. And the difference there is the lowest it's ever been in WoW.

The other thing is that frankly we get Azerite thrown at us these days. Once you have Azerite of a particular itemlevel in a slot for all of your specs, you can generally scrap or d/e ones of lower ilevel. But you'd be exceedingly wise if you retained every single Azerite item you get (or at least numSpecs copies of each unique one), if for no other reason because of how capricious and spastic Blizzard's balancing wand is at times. And that gives you a ton of sources for offspec Azerite.
09/16/2018 12:36 AMPosted by Xaedys
09/15/2018 09:24 PMPosted by Felyssa
If you get a 10 ilvl upgrade or higher, I'm willing to bet it'll always be better.

The 355 Azerite chest I had drop for my in normal week 1 (exact same as my current chestpiece, just 15 ilevels lower) was a downgrade over my 340 one, because the latter had Revolving Blades. I've also passed over 20+ ilevel differences because mastery is so freakin garbage for Havoc atm (though I typically still keep a hold on those items for ilevel and Vengeance).

Higher ilevel doesn't necessarily mean better, even if there's a fairly significant ilevel difference. The only place that's essentially unconditionally true is main hand weapons, because of how all (non-caster) ability damage depends on weapon DPS in BfA.

Well yes, that's azerite for you. However for most gear slots without talents attached higher ilvl wins out.
09/15/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Rayu
i could easily swap specs and my artifact weapon had everything i needed 2 be a tank.

Your artifact weapon... which had 3 relics in it. How many azerite pieces do you need again?
09/16/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Felyssa
Well yes, that's azerite for you. However for most gear slots without talents attached higher ilvl wins out.

Depends on the class. For DHs, that's often the case, though mastery being on an item drops the effective ilevel by around 10 or so for Havoc. For other classes, that can different wildly. Like haste being on an item makes it basically worthless to my monk (except for MW), regardless of ilevel. Haste not being on it drops it considerably for my resto druid (or perhaps better to say, haste being on it considerably increases the effective ilevel, somewhat like Mastery did for resto druid in Legion).