Saurfang Joining the Alliance?

Story Forum
1 2 3 5 Next
Or at least have him work alongside them to fight Sylvanas instead of rotting away in a dungeon?

I say this, because something must be done to turn some orcs away from Sylvanas.

After WC2 Blizzard stuck the orcs on a path that was different from their warhammer and middle earth counterparts.

Unfortunately they are on the railroads now of being conquerors again, and being tools for a monster.

The orcish race doesn't have a good future if Sylvanas's mission against the Alliance is a success. Saurfang should be aware of that.

What if Saurfang could work/join the Alliance and take part in leading some like minded orcs away from Sylvanas's Horde? Orcs where Honor doesn't mean "Lets start wars and kill innocents".

Blizzard has already made plenty of orcs now like their WC2 selves, that it would be nice change of pace for humans and others in the Alliance to get the chance to see and interact with orcs that aren't trying to kill him. Could bring some needed "tension" within the Alliance.

This is important if their is ever peace again with at least some orcs and the Alliance.

No I don't want "Alliance Orcs" as a playable allied race, but lore wise a faction of orcs working alongside the Alliance to make a better future for their kind, free from Sylvanas, is a good idea
No.
Gawd no. No more of this horde/alliance working together cheesiness. We all know it is just gonna get thrown off the shoulder once the business is done.

Also the idea of a racial leader joining the enemy faction is just insulting.
I doubt it. I just played through the Alliance version of BfL, and there's pretty strong foreshadowing that they're setting up Saurfang to redeem the Horde or something. Personally, I don't find him particularly credible, but that's not a big deal.
Never ever. They're marketing him as the other face of the Horde real hard right now.
Yeah, because what Horde players need right now is another kick in the teeth from the story.
By makin' Saurfang even more hated by the Horde players than he already is? Might as well tell the Horde players they should just either un-sub or reroll Alliance at that point.

I'll take the un-sub route.
09/15/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Carmageddon
Yeah, because what Horde players need right now is another kick in the teeth from the story.

The expansion began with two huge victories for them, and two giant middle fingers to the Alliance.
09/15/2018 05:23 PMPosted by Phlynch

The expansion began with two huge victories for them, and two giant middle fingers to the Alliance.
Sylvanas flat out burning the tree pissed off literally everyone except hardcore Forsaken fanboys. I don't consider that a victory. And if you consider losing a city as another victory, then technically you guys won Darnassus.
<span class="truncated">...</span>
Sylvanas flat out burning the tree pissed off literally everyone except hardcore Forsaken fanboys. I don't consider that a victory. And if you consider losing a city as another victory, then technically you guys won Darnassus.
As told in the Undercity campaign, supposedly Alliance suffered larger casualties than the Horde, since Sylvanas used the Blight to kill her own troops and the Alliance in one fel swoop and then sacrificed Undercity by blowing it to Kingdom come.

Edit; it was a pyrrhic victory that the Alliance might’ve well lost, considering it was Jaina who saved the day.

True, but it was a victory that a lot of Horde players (at least here) would have much preferred not to win.
I'd rather Saurfang rallied the Honorable Horde on his own than with the help of the Alliance to be honest. The MOST he should be involved with the Alliance in the course of this is an agreement that the Alliance will NOT get in his way or else.

This sort of thing is why I find "Horde favoritism" threads more funny than anything. Your perception is just so incredibly warped.
09/15/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Gavik
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This sort of thing is why I find "Horde favoritism" threads more funny than anything. Your perception is just so incredibly warped.

They're not wrong.

Teldrassil is destroyed and with it the Night Elves suffer a near genocide of their race. Their city and home is destroyed, the civilian base of their society is wiped out, their economy is now non-existent, and they're refugees in Stormwind. Their leadership is barely functioning right now.

What did the Horde lose in this? Some forces I suppose. Nowhere near the losses the Alliance suffered.

Undercity is attacked and the Alliance suffers massive casualties while the Horde evacuates the civilians of the Undercity safely to Orgrimmar, and pulls out their forces. The city is then blighted so the Alliance cannot use it as a base of power.

So Teldrassil was a complete and total loss for the Alliance, a complete and total win for the Horde. Undercity is a loss for the Horde, but a Pyrrhic victory for the Alliance.
09/15/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Gavik

How is it warped? By all accounts, the Horde has had every single advantage with all their engagements with the Alliance. Though it should be the opposite, with the Lightforged, Void elves and Dark Iron included.

All of who bring extremely fast modes of transportation to the field. Void elves bringing warps through the void, Dark Irons with their mole machines and Lightforged with their orbital death ray + troop star trek teleportation?
From a meta-perspective I can't see them swapping the factions of this character. Saurfang's value to their product is as an examplar and character insert for a certain type of Horde player. Moving him to the Alliance loses that.

Plus there's the simple fact that Saurfang agreed with everything Sylvanas did. Including the burning of Teldrassil. He hated doing it, he tried to argue against the necessity, but in the end he agreed. So he's not as opposed to the current course of the Horde as he would need to be to actively oppose it.
Naw, I don't believe he'll join the Alliance. Nor will he rejoin Sylvanas's Horde like in the other thread. With how sloppy and callous she's becoming, I doubt that Saurfang will rally a rebellion - just a swift return and quick loss of loyalty for her from the majority of the Horde. If the Desolate Council was any indication, she doesn't even have the support of all her own people.
The War of Thorns failed to succeed in either of the Horde's two intended goals. Attacking Teldrassil was entirely about killing a major Alliance figurehead and demoralising and weakening the Alliance. It had the complete opposite effect and has lead to tensions within the horde AGAIN.

Calling that a victory is like calling a bank robbery a success if instead of actually stealing any money you just blow up the bank. Sure the bank is destroyed but you get literally nothing out of the cost and effort you put in and now have to deal with the cops chasing you.

If anyone thinks losing the Undercity is a victory for the Horde, they have a screwed up idea of what winning is. I suppose by that logic they are fine with losing Stormwind as long as it is the Alliance that blows it up first.

Anyway if Saurfang joins team Alliance even 'to save the horde' it will turn many horde players off him including me. If he turns to the enemy, instead of his own people for help, and if we need to be saved by the people we have to spend most of the expansion fighting, then Blizz might as well just put the Horde out of its misery at that point and all the horde players can look to see what else is out there to play while the Alliance players can see if World of Alliancecraft can survive with half its revinue stream gone.
What makes you think the Alliance even wants the old hypocrite?
09/15/2018 07:03 PMPosted by Alzrian
What makes you think the Alliance even wants the old hypocrite?

Because Old Soldier was the best animated cinematic that Blizzard has done to date and, I'll be generous, a certain subset of the Alliance has always been vulnerable to the flavor of the month.

Well, now that is Saurfang flavored.