RP Titles/Ranks.

Wyrmrest Accord
I tend to be a little hesitant about people choosing ranks above a certain level. Certainly, if you put in the work PvP or RP-wise to get the backing necessary for that title, I can respect it.

But, I admit that I wince whenever I see a Death Knight running around proclaiming themselves Deathlord. I keep Rune here as a Knight-Sergeant of the Ebon Blade since, with him being around and active since Wrath, I wanted to give him a bit of veterancy and position for the time I've put in him, but I didn't want to go crazy with it.

The Ebon Blade doesn't even have any real solid information on rank and structure anyway, so it's not like I can impress rank on people even if I wanted to.

But man, I want that PvP Sergeant title.
In general I feel as though it depends on the context. Certainly you'll have the folks who have these titles for prestige/false power; people who will try to flaunt power they expect to have from these.

There could still be those moments however where pulling rank or the like actually makes sense and should logically work. Granted I may be writing from a more idealistic viewpoint in this case; outside of certain types of rp guilds I can't recall experiencing or hearing of such a moment actually happening.

So in short it depends on the details. If I get the feeling the person is using it for power and control I likely won't give it to them. If they appear to have an actual interest in portraying the thing they say they are then I'm more likely to do my part in accommodating them.

It reminds me somewhat of a suspicion I have; people writing their characters as members or former members of well known organizations without considering what it would actually be like to be part of it. Both potential cases have much in common.
09/20/2018 01:06 AMPosted by Wolf
Not a PvP title, but I busted my !@# trying to get this captain title despite having not played WoD at all. It makes me happy whenever I see the title in front of my name.

I am a $%^-ty pirate captain and I want you all to acknowledge it please. Or I'll cry.

Honestly I think the captain title is my favorite one. Even when the content was current it took forever to get.

I don't always use it but I feel the same way, seeing Captain Topsail makes things feel complete.
I only break out titles like that if I'm specifically going to be roleplaying with a few other people and that's the theme we've settled on. Otherwise I stick to Battlemaster due to pride, Ironbane if I want to use it as a last name, or something that thematically matches my character.

I don't like, or want, or want to attempt to have authority over random players.

I do appreciate people who kind of try? I get kind of bored of when the recurring theme for characters is "Wacky self-insert that stares at the 4th wall all the time."
I’m always torn between Salty, Chef, The Insane, and Seeker Of Knowledge.
This is going to sound horrible but an easy way to determine whether or not your character should be a high warlord or grand marshal is if you push that 2k.

I know, I know OOC=/=IC

But here me out, not everyone should be these high ranking officials and by using those OOC titles it acts as a filter to keep such a thing kind of scarce. But hey, it's your 15 a month.
I have Knight-Lieutenant/Blood Guard from the old Vanilla ladder days.

Sometimes I want to push ratings to get the armor and stuff nowadays, but then I have flashbacks and shrivel up into a tiny ball of hate instead.
I don't think PvP ranks should matter at all for RP. That's like saying you shouldn't be able to RP a lunatic until you grind out "the Insane"--OOC game mechanics don't matter that much in RP.

Generally though I will acknowledge whatever title/rank the player wants to have as long as they're not being a jerk or just using it to live out a bossy power fantasy. But the best way to add legitimacy to a fancy title is just to have other players who accept it. If someone calls themself "Lord", that commands more respect if they organize a guild and are accompanied by people RPing retainers and vassals or whatever. Likewise an Orc calling himself High Overlord works a lot better if he has a squad of loyal Grunts to boss around. Even minor titles like "captain" work best if you have some swabbies underneath you.
09/20/2018 06:24 AMPosted by Julliven
This is going to sound horrible but an easy way to determine whether or not your character should be a high warlord or grand marshal is if you push that 2k.

I know, I know OOC=/=IC

But here me out, not everyone should be these high ranking officials and by using those OOC titles it acts as a filter to keep such a thing kind of scarce. But hey, it's your 15 a month.

Agree with this, if you earned the grand marshal PVP title then you should be able to RP as one, not the other way around.
09/19/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Nethielle
I am the Queen of Trash, and you WILL respect my ranking.
shuddup Banda
In three of five cases, I probably couldn't care less what your rank, title, or noteriety IC is.

As soon as you bring it up in any meaningful way and it feels trite, presses on my consent, or you make an !@# of yourself, it's being disregarded and I'll laugh at any other attempt to throw it around.
I. AM. CHOSEN.
By the light, of course.
09/20/2018 09:48 AMPosted by Mahoodle
I. AM. CHOSEN.
By the light, of course.

Chosen by the noodle.
09/20/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Dakama
09/19/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Nethielle
I am the Queen of Trash, and you WILL respect my ranking.
shuddup Banda

;n;

Does being Trash Queen mean nothing anymore?
I have a Ranger-Captain Farstrider rogue, and a Mage who is a Magistrix. My Priest goes by a title of "Keeper" because she is an archivist, and Cailias has gone by a variety of titles depending on his rank in the guild he is currently in.

These are all really just for flavor, and I don't expect anyone not involved with my RP to let me lord over them at all.
I dunno if RBG Rating works the same as it used too, but I am really considering putting together a random assortment of the very worst pvp casuals there are just to try to push to 1400 since rating doesn't drop when it's super low just to get some people their pvp rewards and them nice low level titles.

We need more Mag'har Grunts !
Being a Horde putz allows me to ignore most of it. Rasek's RP title is Senior Mr. F[er], which I take very seriously.

My favourite is when guys throw rank and skill around and then just wanna rp duel about it. Pls.
Cad's a Corporal, so all I get to bully are Privates.

wait n--
I am the Khan of WrA and require everyone to accept it...or maybe not....
09/20/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Kiethoo
I dunno if RBG Rating works the same as it used too, but I am really considering putting together a random assortment of the very worst pvp casuals there are just to try to push to 1400 since rating doesn't drop when it's super low just to get some people their pvp rewards and them nice low level titles.

We need more Mag'har Grunts !

I actually wouldn't mind casual rated scrubbery. Count me down if you go for it, Kieth.