What year would it be in wow?

General Discussion
I am sorry I'm still thinking about this...

Some people think this is the equivalent of 450 BC, other people think based on the decor in Boralus this is the late 1800s (this is mainly due to the fact that while most people are still riding mounts, the automobile has in fact been invented, in this case by the Goblins and Gnomes).

Some people say that if you take the spaceships into account, the Draenei would be in the 23rd century, but the orcs, being the savages they are in the stone age. I would put them more in the Iron Age though, along with most of the other races?

So basically this is the general answer I got;

Goblins/Gnomes: Late 1800s, early 1900s.
Human/Worgen: Medieval days, however gnomes helped them to the 1800s.
Draenei: In the 23rd century.
Most other races, in terms of technology would be in the Iron Age.

Murlocs however are in the Stone Age.
It's 2018 in a different universe on a different planet.
The existence of magic has kinda thrown human civilization off of any technological scale that would be applicable to real life. Why bother inventing new things when magic will do it for you?

Also, considering our (reliable) recorded history only goes back five or six thousand years and Azeroth has plenty of people older than that running around right now, I'd say that trying to compare history is an exercise in futility.
09/13/2018 08:06 AMPosted by Geegeeboltz
It's 2018 in a different universe on a different planet.

Forgive me, but I have a very limited understanding of time. You see, to me, time is an arrow, it goes in one direction only, therefore Azeroth's progress goes forward, only forward.

Think of this way...in the real world, in my brain it's like this...

12000BC and before that...caveman days when people weren't much better than monkeys. only after that people started to do the whole agriculture thing.

3000-2000BC someone decided to build a few pyramids because they look cool.

700BC-400ishAD. The time of the Romans, when there were chariots and stuff. And a few wars, and buildings with pillars. People fight pointless wars on horses.

500-1500AD. The era of Kings and Queens happens, people still fighting pointless boring wars that achieve nothing.

1600-late 1800s. The time of Enlightenment when for whatever reason, people started giving birth to smart people that eventually invented lights and cars and things.

20th century; when all the cool stuff was invented.

21st century; when all the cool stuff got better.

That's the history of humanity and my yardstick.
The existence of magic has kinda thrown human civilization off of any technological scale that would be applicable to real life. Why bother inventing new things when magic will do it for you?

I believe magic does exist in the real world, just because you don't see people attacking criminals with arcane missiles, or Harry Potter flying around on a broomstick, that doesn't mean magic isn't here.
There's no time like the present.
I believe I saw some quest text that referred to the opening of the dark portal as year 0 so I believe that's the canon way of counting the years. We are currently on year 33.

The original Warcraft 1 manual also had an older way of counting the years, but it changed to the new calendar after more of the story was written.
09/12/2018 11:11 PMPosted by Elae
Would it actually be the year 33AD, or would it be more like 1500AD or something...I've always wondered this.

There can be no direct correlation. If there were arcane magics, the Light, the Void, etc... in the real world, then technology would be very different here. However, the only magics that rules us are Science and Technology.

Stormwind is based off a medieval city-state. Boralus is closer to the 1700s. Dalaran is based off a time that doesn't exist. Zandalar is based off a bronze-age city-state. However both have the same magics and technologies available.
It's the Victorian Age.

Think Steam Punk
dark portal as year 0

But there's no Jesus in wow.

Oh wait...sorry Thrall...
I have concluded that the timeline Azeroth was in, when the orcs came through the Dark Portal would have been the late Iron Age for both orcs and humans. Sounds about right?
09/13/2018 08:21 AMPosted by Elae

I believe magic does exist in the real world, just because you don't see people attacking criminals with arcane missiles, or Harry Potter flying around on a broomstick, that doesn't mean magic isn't here.

I mean you can believe whatever wacky bs you want to but I'm referring specifically to the fact that Azeroth has magic floating cities and people that can conjure food out of midair, so unless I missed that on the evening post then you missed the point.
I mean you can believe whatever wacky bs you want to but I'm referring specifically to the fact that Azeroth has magic floating cities

International Space Station.

and people that can conjure food out of midair, so unless I missed that on the evening post then you missed the point

Scientist predict that replication technology may be possible in the 22nd century.