Felguard taking too much damage

Warlock
I've noticed an issue with felguard while leveling this expansion. It almost feels like a bug. When tanking one mob, even a rare or elite champion, my felguard takes no damage, but as soon as 2 mobs are attacking, even just normal mobs, his health just starts plummeting.

Does this have something to do with how our shields work? Would dropping the dreadlash talent for something else help while leveling?
felguards are just trash so have fun health funneling more often than your DPSing if you want to pull 2+ mobs at a time.

switch specs and use a voidwalker basically which is made of construction paper at least instead of our tissue paper felguard
Felguard only becomes BARELY survivable after you get epic gear at 120, which IMO is really dumb.

I don't know why he can't be decently sturdy at all times.
09/14/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Alasander
Felguard only becomes BARELY survivable after you get epic gear at 120, which IMO is really dumb.

I'm still pretty low level, but I only notice this when he's tanking multiple enemies. This makes me assume that it must have to do with soul leech. What I don't understand is that I don't really even change my rotation, so I would think my single target damage should be the same.

My only thought is that I'm maybe misunderstanding how soul leech works. For instance, if I hit one enemy with hand of Gul'dan, does that count as single target damage, despite the fact that the spell can hit multiple targets? My assumption was that each ability is flagged as either a single target or multiple target ability regardless of how many targets it actually hits.

I'll have to do some testing tonight to see if I can figure out how it works.
He is so damn squishy that all my pve soloing is with my voidwalker, it's just gross how bad the felguard is.
09/14/2018 11:11 AMPosted by Xenaria
09/14/2018 09:30 AMPosted by Alasander

I'm still pretty low level, but I only notice this when he's tanking multiple enemies. This makes me assume that it must have to do with soul leech. What I don't understand is that I don't really even change my rotation, so I would think my single target damage should be the same.

My only thought is that I'm maybe misunderstanding how soul leech works. For instance, if I hit one enemy with hand of Gul'dan, does that count as single target damage, despite the fact that the spell can hit multiple targets? My assumption was that each ability is flagged as either a single target or multiple target ability regardless of how many targets it actually hits.

I'll have to do some testing tonight to see if I can figure out how it works.

Only your actual single target spells, so drain life, shadowbolt, demonbolt. Not sure if imp and hound damage applies.
Felguard has been trash since it came out in TBC.

I remember back at level 70, a friend and I did a bunch of testing to compare the damage and survivability of the Felguard compard to a BM hunter pet and it wasnt even close.

In fact, even MM/SV hunter pets could solo a Felguard and not even get to 50% hp back then.

I just don't get why Blizzard is so against making the Felguard as strong as a BM pet since demo is the warlock equivalent of beastmastery hunter.

Edit: Also, make health funnel a click and forget spell not a channel like mend pet.
Level as affliction. All your dots count as single target so your soul leech does a great job buffering blueberry, and if you need to health funnel they keep ticking where other builds basically have to stop dps.

Plus, you'll have to be affliction when you grow up anyway.
09/15/2018 01:03 PMPosted by Oceansvoid
Level as affliction. All your dots count as single target so your soul leech does a great job buffering blueberry, and if you need to health funnel they keep ticking where other builds basically have to stop dps.

Plus, you'll have to be affliction when you grow up anyway.

I just made this swap myself as I just quest along here and I really wish I knew how poo poo pet survivability now is overall. I guess they want us to use Health funnel more or just play affliction all the time.