Why is this game so grindy?

General Discussion
Everything is a grind I want a mount have to grind I want more power have to grind I want to level have to grind I want to make gold have to grind! Why!! There’s never rewards for just playing the game what am I paying for
"But MMOs are all grinds and WoW has always been nothing but grinds!" - People who have apparently been playing and enjoying WoW in a very different way from me for nearly a decade and a half.
It is an MMO. MMOs are designed to be grindy and take a lot of time. It is a core feature of the genre.

I just play how I want and the mounts, power, gold, and other stuff just happen over time. I don't need them all a month into the expansion.
It's an MMO, you got to do stuff to get stuff.
"What do you mean I have to work for things? Can't I just buy it like my phone game?"
09/15/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Secure
"But MMOs are all grinds and WoW has always been nothing but grinds!" - People who have apparently been playing and enjoying WoW in a very different way from me for nearly a decade and a half.

I do not believe this in the slightest?
Did you twink as a level 19 until Cataclysm?

Leveling itself used to be a grind, many things required rep grinds...I mean what exactly did you do all those years back when this game didn't just hand everything over?
Just be glad it isn't a Korean grind simulator like Black Desert Online where you kill the same mobs over and over again for months just for 1 level up.
09/15/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Demontê
09/15/2018 11:32 AMPosted by Secure

Leveling itself used to be a grind, many things required rep grinds...I mean what exactly did you do all those years back when this game didn't just hand everything over?

You don't get it. Leveling up is content. You might hit spots where you have to grind, but you're doing new quests, seeing new things.

Dailies, and now World Quests? That's tedious garbage for OCD people and frankly people with low standards. You wanna do that crap to unlock a mount or a tabard or something? Fair enough. But keep that !@#$ away from the main story or unlocking friggin' races.
You don't know it yet but grinding is actually really fun...according to Ion.
When I tell my friend that plays Old School Runescape that people complain this game is grindy he laughs
it's an MMO...
09/15/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Inho
Everything is a grind I want a mount have to grind I want more power have to grind I want to level have to grind I want to make gold have to grind! Why!! There’s never rewards for just playing the game what am I paying for

Think of it from their point of view. It is the best way they can keep getting money out of you.
09/15/2018 11:40 AMPosted by Secure
09/15/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Demontê

You don't get it. Leveling up is content. You might hit spots where you have to grind, but you're doing new quests, seeing new things.

Dailies, and now World Quests? That's tedious garbage for OCD people and frankly people with low standards. You wanna do that crap to unlock a mount or a tabard or something? Fair enough. But keep that !@#$ away from the main story or unlocking friggin' races.

I am actually OCD and I despise WQ's and rep grinding just saying what they have done to the new races in terms of accessing them is a huge mental roadblock for me. Perhaps don't speak for those of us with mental illnesses if you have no idea what it means to have said illness.
Ion's Vision™. If you can't tell what that consists of these days you're blind as a bat.
09/15/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Inho
it's the dumb azurite gear and war resources just take that away and the game is 60 percent better.
People who think WoW is grindy really need to go play some Eastern MMOs where you have to do things like kill mobs just to level. Which is to say, there aren't enough quests to get you through the next few levels; you're not killing mobs for quests, you're killing mobs just to grind xp from the kills in order to get through several levels. Good luck getting to max level.

And gear? There's only one set of gear that you and everyone else uses for five levels or so at which point you can buy (from a vendor!) another set of gear which you'll use for the NEXT five or so levels and ad nauseum. The only way around this is to get really lucky on a loot drop, craft better gear (which requires its own grind to get the required mats), or pay real money to the in game shop for premium stuff.

By that standard, WoW isn't grindy at all.