Why I Don't Tank

General Discussion
Despite how much I love tanking in general (particularly DH tank), the role becomes really dead-end when you want to invest enough into it to make it your main. It was never really about reward or not fully understanding every boss mechanic or dealing trash DPS for me, as it was acquiring the experience to be trustworthy enough to join a guild with.

It's agonizing how much it feels just like real life when you go job hunting after graduating college, and the company expects you to have this 5 years additional experience on the job, that required the degree just to even apply for it. It's literally a textbook example of an !@# backwards system.

But putting it into WoW's perspective, you just finished getting all the minimum requirements because you really enjoy tanking above all other roles in the game and would do anything to main it. To exceed where you currently are, you have to join a guild that wants absolutely absurd gear prerequisites, cleared all bosses as a tank on the specific difficulty the guild asks for, on top of knowing the bosses mechanics on the specific difficulty through defeating the raid boss and not by video references.

The only way you can circumvent these issues is by making and leading your own guild or acquire the patience of a saint and host heroic PUGs. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone the circumstances of leading a guild, but the main issue with hosting PUGs is having to sell yourself to waste people's time in making mistakes as a tank and have to constantly refresh your entire group count until the entire damn roster of previous applicants became aware of your incompetence and sooner or later, you have to wait hours later to find more unaware victims. Before you know it, you're playing catch up games before the next raid opens up.

In conclusion, there's nothing in the game that prepares you for the high expectations that are requirement for taking things to the next step in maining your tank, and ultimately derailing your entire operation in getting things up and running with your tank. You're left at a giant roadblock and conclude that leveling a tank is absolutely worthless unless you have the time and willpower to overcome the mindless, and what I believe to be stupid, route it takes just to be considered in a guild.

It's simply not worth my time.
09/19/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Grimidoran
Despite how much I love tanking in general (particularly DH tank), the role becomes really dead-end when you want to invest enough into it to make it your main. It was never really about reward or not fully understanding every boss mechanic or dealing trash DPS for me, as it was acquiring the experience to be trustworthy enough to join a guild with.

It's agonizing how much it feels just like real life when you go job hunting after graduating college, and the company expects you to have this 5 years additional experience on the job, that required the degree just to even apply for it. It's literally a textbook example of an !@# backwards system.

But putting it into WoW's perspective, you just finished getting all the minimum requirements because you really enjoy tanking above all other roles in the game and would do anything to main it. To exceed where you currently are, you have to join a guild that wants absolutely absurd gear prerequisites, cleared all bosses as a tank on the specific difficulty the guild asks for, on top of knowing the bosses mechanics on the specific difficulty through defeating the raid boss and not by video references.

The only way you can circumvent these issues is by making and leading your own guild or acquire the patience of a saint and host heroic PUGs. I'm sure I don't need to remind anyone the circumstances of leading a guild, but the main issue with hosting PUGs is having to sell yourself to waste people's time in making mistakes as a tank and have to constantly refresh your entire group count until the entire damn roster of previous applicants became aware of your incompetence and sooner or later, you have to wait hours later to find more unaware victims. Before you know it, you're playing catch up games before the next raid opens up.

In conclusion, there's nothing in the game that prepares you for the high expectations that are requirement for taking things to the next step in maining your tank, and ultimately derailing your entire operation in getting things up and running with your tank. You're left at a giant roadblock and conclude that leveling a tank is absolutely worthless unless you have the time and willpower to overcome the mindless, and what I believe to be stupid, route it takes just to be considered in a guild.

It's simply not worth my time.
well they go back to my bear tank moves in cata where it was perfect and made sense I'll tank on him again--till then bears skills suck.
09/19/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Grimidoran
but the main issue with hosting PUGs is having to sell yourself to waste people's time in making mistakes as a tank and have to constantly refresh your entire group count until the entire damn roster of previous applicants became aware of your incompetence and sooner or later, you have to wait hours later to find more unaware victims.

The issue I have with this is the learning curve. You need to shorten that curve.

Typically, if I don't know a fight and mess up, I can pick it up before the 'next wave of applicants' so my incompetence doesn't last very long.

Also, groups can take time to form, especially when trying to grab another tank and a healer so it's generally a good idea to watch some YouTube videos on the fight you're on to familiarize yourself further and then just tab back to check on potential new applicants.

Thus far in Uldir, I've healed and DPS'd. Also, I listen to all feedback that's happening so we might run into a wall block on a particular boss, even if I'm not the issue. Then find out it was a tank issue and I'd go, 'Ah, the tanks needed to do this, gotcha'. Then, when I finally play a tank, I have that 'mini' heads up on what to expect.
There's a low demand for raid tanks based solely on the percentage of raid slots used for tanks. Just like when searching for a job, the requirements for getting a raid tank slot are artificially high when the demand is so low.

The best bet for several expansions now is to join a guild as a DPS with an offspec of tank and tank when one of the normal tanks is out for whatever reason. Ever since Legion, you can make a name for yourself in your guild by tanking M+ dungeons too.
Or form your own guild with free open raid slots for others in same spot as you. We arent the only ones that suffer the high expectations. Dps, and healers also fall prey to this gap. This is why guilds like mine exist.
I just don't want to be held back by bad DPS. Just did a Heroic as Prot for the bag, no one but me interrupted even a single time and I was the highest DPS, even single target. I don't enjoy being responsible for all the !@#$ and then also being top DPS. It's just not fun when you feel like you and the healer are the only ones doing your jobs.
I love tanking, always have. If you want to climb in a guild, gear up and join a mediocre guild. Get some experience and start applying to better guilds. It’s like a ladder, did it back in BC and WotLK on my other toon. outside of that if you’re doing a lot of M+ I’m sure someone will take you, easy way to make a name for yourself.

All that said my love for tanking is diminished a bit by what they did to the warrior. Came back from WotLK and my character can hardly do what he was designed to do, lol.