Would you join/play the evil faction?

Wyrmrest Accord
Sylvanas is doing increasingly Lich Queen Vibe things e.g. raising troops of skeletons like it was no big thing, killing a large number of elves, flossing on the throne of Lordearon etc.

I'm not saying I think the below will happen. I'm just asking out of boredom.

If Sylvanas joined Bolvar and there was a quest line for Horde and Alliance characters to join the Scourge -- a third faction made up of every race (but they're undead) would you?

Would you go to bat for the clearly evil faction?

Sef would not, but I think I'd swap a few characters over and roll some new ones. I just like playing all sides in games like this.
It'd depend on how it's presented, to be honest.

Sarestha's incredibly devoted to Sylvanas, but that stems from a love of her people - who Sylvanas saved, in her opinion.

But she actually does like and care for the other Horde races. And she HATES non-free-willed undead. If Sylvanas went full Scourge, Sara would jump ship in a heartbeat. If however she was still surrounded by loyal, free-willed Lordaeronians... Sara may stand at Sylvanas' side.
Would you go to bat for the clearly evil faction?

If they look cool, then yes.

If they look cool, then yes.

In my head they look amazing haha. I'd want serious customisation options for them though, like fresh corpse to some bone showing through armor action depending on the character.

If Sylvanas went full Scourge, Sara would jump ship in a heartbeat.

Did you do any of the Legion order hall stuff IC? Personally, I loved that campaign. My DK wasn't/isn't the leader of the DKs IC or anything, but I sort of headcanon it where she, too, heard some of Bolvar's insights.

Bolvar's ability to tap right into a DK's mind is a bit unnerving.

I think my DK would join him tbh :0
The Scourge is your salvation, regardless of your current affiliation.

((I would personally love to see a Scourge faction in Azeroth made up of any race in an undead state, which is obviously possible due to the inclusion of DK toons. Evil is a perspective based view since preservation of the undead race is not necessarily evil but requires certain 'sacrifices' to be born anew as Scourge. It is more akin to ascension than death, attaining a new and better state of being.

If only Blizz would.))
Maybe?

Like, more than the obvious villainy, what irritates me about playing Horde is the moral whiplash and obliviousness of its people.

Forsaken will scream about their sad, cursed existence while eagerly foisting it upon others. Orcs will chest-thump about honor while massacring innocent, cowering civilians. Tauren will claim to uphold goodness and justice while giddily participating in whatever atrocity comes next.

The Scourge, I think, would be somehow more palatable since there's clearly no delusions of moralizing going on--you're just out to do a lot of bad things and cackle about it.
Depends on how compelling their story is.

There are lots of villainous factions in WoW, some of them are really cool, and some of them totally suck.

On the "totally suck" side you have groups like the twilight's hammer, who just seem to be evil for the sake of being evil with no decent motivation or philosophy behind them.

On the "really cool" side you had Elisande's Suramar, joining the Legion and forming a brutal police state to ensure their own survival. Also cool evil factions: Scarlet Crusade, the Illidari, pre-Sunwell Blood Elves... basically any faction which has a logic or rationale behind their evilness.

A theoretical new scourge could be kinda cool I guess, but right now the forsaken are presented in a sort of inconsistent way. If they were presented in a fun way rather than a twilight's hammer-like "ooga booga we're so evil we will destroy the world for some reason and also wear dark clothing", I'd be fine with being evil.
I'm all for playing the "bad dudes" (in this example, some new scourge).

I'm also all for playing the "good dudes" and the "morally dubious dudes".

What I'm not all for is when I have the choice to pick which one I want to go to bat for but the narrative isn't sure about who is !@#$ing who and tells me I'm batting for one when they're actually the other.

More customization slash races would be rad though and I won't lie, I'd play for that alone too.
09/20/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Miko
On the "totally suck" side you have groups like the twilight's hammer, who just seem to be evil for the sake of being evil with no decent motivation or philosophy behind them.

What about their totally sweet hammer though?
09/20/2018 05:32 PMPosted by Sef
Did you do any of the Legion order hall stuff IC?

I did do it OOCly (it was a lot of fun), but Sarestha's involvement IC was limited.

She fought at the Scarlet Monastery, effectively. She's not a highly ranked DK - she was just there as one of the soldiers. But she volunteered deliberately for that one, and wore a Scarlet Tabard the whole time, just to mess with the crusaders.

But yeah, part of why Sara's so zealously Horde right now is that the Lich King's actions are making her wary of the Ebon Blade as an independent organisation.
Hard villainy, not 'OH THEY ARE DOING WHAT THEY HAVE TO'.

And give me a naga warrior so I can be a myrmidon.
If they were clearly presented as evil and I knew that was what I was signing up for? Yeah.
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with being the bad guy if you know that's exactly what you're signing up for. Sometimes being evil can be a lot of fun. You'd better believe that if I had the opportunity to be an Evil Overlord I'd take it.

Those Orphans have had it too good for far too long.
09/20/2018 06:13 PMPosted by Nethielle
Absolutely. There's nothing wrong with being the bad guy if you know that's exactly what you're signing up for. Sometimes being evil can be a lot of fun. You'd better believe that if I had the opportunity to be an Evil Overlord I'd take it.

Those Orphans have had it too good for far too long.

yeah this. i'd play an eredar if i could
Ji would not, but I would definitely do so with my Void Elf and my Belf Mage. I've always seen my Void Elf as a San'layn masquerading as a really, really pale Quel'dorei and my belf is a San'layn wannabe so for them to actually be San'layn is an opportunity I can't pass up.
09/20/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Sef
If Sylvanas joined Bolvar and there was a quest line for Horde and Alliance characters to join the Scourge -- a third faction made up of every race (but they're undead) would you?

Never. Horde til I stop playing this video game. I'll be Horde while Sylvanas is running around as the Warchief, and I'll be Horde if she's gone or not. But I can't see myself deciding to go scourge, or any other faction. I fell in love with Horde, and I'm a single faction type of guy. Call me old fashion but I don't share my love with other factions.
I mean I bought a Scourge shirt from the Blizz store, so I feel like I'd be obligated to at this point.
I think it depends on how old fashioned and who had a computer haha - for me it was WC 1&2 at a friend’s so I started out playing whichever I could for any given match!

And give me a naga warrior so I can be a myrmidon.

An Azshara/Old god faction would be amazing.
09/20/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Enekie
Tauren will claim to uphold goodness and justice while giddily participating in whatever atrocity comes next.

This was the final blow for me, in particular. Watching my favorite race--the one that is often thought of as the Horde's moral center--blithely go along with one hideous act of destruction and terror after another, all in the name of a debt that seems nonsensical after everything that's happened. I now consider them evil as well.
Absolutely. I'd be using a new or revived character, but I'd totally sign up.

My best character development was in the Sith Empire. The character wasn't innately evil, but seeing the way society twisted and warped them was incredibly interesting, especially since most people who knew them thought they were still just the nicest person ever.