Azerite - Worst Itemization in WoW's History

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
1 2 3 118 Next
You can't target the gear you want at all.
There are 10 M+ dungeons, all of which drop ~10 different items per dungeon, and are all eligible to be looted from the cache (the only way to actually get the gear). This translates to a 1/100 chance to get the piece that you want, but that's only one piece. Then you've got to get 2 more pieces, each on separate 1/100 "drop" chance. Let's be lenient here and say we are given 6 months per content patch. This means that the probability of getting the items we want is actually orders of magnitude lower than the probability of getting the ideal legendary items in Legion.
09/26/2018 06:32 PMPosted by Chaosbug
Food for thought: Getting a single desired piece of Azerite gear from the Mythic+ cache is less likely than getting a Warglaive to drop from Illidan, or Thori'dal from Kil'Jaeden, and all examples have a one-week lockout time.

The vast majority of traits are useless and uninteresting.
When all of our abilities were stripped away in 8.0, we were promised Azerite armor that would bring back the gameplay changes that artifacts brought. There are very few circumstances where this is the case, and most of the top-performing traits are just stat-padding, providing no progression or gameplay enhancements.

When we get "upgrades" we have to re-farm the same traits that we have already farmed.
We complained about having to farm traits on Legion Artifacts, and Blizzard's response was to give us only 1 or 2 traits, but to consistently lose them and have to re-farm them for the whole expansion. How is this an improvement?

Every single gear change or upgrade requires simming.
At no other point in WoW's history has simming been so required to find out if an item or trait is actually an upgrade. The proc rates, damage bonuses, or other interactions are so unintuitive that we have absolutely no idea what is an upgrade or not. At no other point in WoW's history has the casual player been at such a disadvantage for being uninformed.

340 traits are out-performing 385 traits. Significantly.
This is just embarassing, and should not be the case. How did this sort of imbalance between traits make it to live?

The reforge cost re-introduces the exact spec-lock problem people had in Legion, but worse.
Oh you want to PvP? Gotta reforge your Azerite! You want to PvE now? Reforge time! Oh, you need to tank this boss? Hearth and reforge your Azerite! People are getting their reforge costs into the thousands of gold, and it doesn't go down fast enough to allow us to reasonably perform multiple roles. How was this supposed to improve gameplay?

The massive swings in power during "tuning" passes mean we have to hold onto all gear.
We have no idea what is going to be our best trait next week, and what is best today may just be completely gutted tomorrow. Our only option as a player is hold onto every single piece of Azerite Armor and hope we have the right ones when Blizzard swings power in a different direction. Not only that, but when new traits are introduced to replace old traits, per Ion's comment, we are likely to encounter exactly the same issue.

EDITS: Content creators' input.
  • PreachPrePost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrUAbJEYSsc
  • PreachReaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWn3Rm0nNDI
  • Asmongold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS4q_QfzCD0
  • Bellular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgVAzDnVEXQ

Related reddit posts - worth noting that the community backlash on this is so large that these posts are hitting the reddit (all) front page.
    ttps://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9jujvo/blizzard_quit_pretending_nobody_ever_gave_you/

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9jdkrp/i_really_do_miss_this/

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9jhxs0/remember_the_good_times_of_character/

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9l03g9/choice_vs_agency_and_why_making_azerite_traits/
Well written. Couldn't agree more.
Plus one.
At this point I am pretty sure they realize what a failure the system is. It is not just azerite. Restore shaman pvp talent voodoo mastery still lists voodoo totem benefit and voodoo totem didn't make it to bfa so yea.
Yeah, all of this.

Azerite armor is depressing for all of these reasons.
I think it is done on purpose to promote time played metrics.
09/25/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Mafic
For some of the RNG, I could see this, but constantly chasing a carrot that you are aware is unreachable will chase a lot of people away from the game entirely.

The only parts that would increase engagement/playing are the first and third. The rest only server to reduce player engagement.
I don't like Azerite Armor either. Probably one of the worst implementations in WoW history, up there with garrisons and underwater zones.
09/25/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Loh
I don't like Azerite Armor either. Probably one of the worst implementations in WoW history, up there with garrisons and underwater zones.

Blizzard devs asked themselves, “How Loh can we go?”
I don't even think this is an overreaction at this point in the game to say this trait system is beyond salvageable with just buffs and nerfs.

Blizzard firstly made collecting gear a grind/rng fest to obtain the correct substats that are optimal; I know this isn't anything new but it just feels ever more so linear in Bfa and there is just no desire or incentive to try out other specializations because of how metrics driven this game is. As a result of this most of the player base wants to choose the spec that is performing the best so they don't get kicked from groups and raids; the class specialization system for almost all the classes are horrendously lopsided with one spec being completely dominant, eventually to be nerfed by blizzard to make the meta shift. This headache is furthermore compounded because of the new azerite perk system. It's one thing to nerf a specialization, but when negative adjustments to azerite perks FOR that particular spec are implemented, the damage is amplified furthermore.

We the players and customers of this game are literally being punished for playing the top performing classes/spec, with all the time and effort invested in trying to get the correct azerite perks nullified as a result of these adjustments. I know ranting about the obvious is getting old now, but just thinking about this after reading this new changelog makes me seriously think the trait system is extremely detrimental to the game and community.
09/25/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Mafic

It’s more insidious than that. Time Played isnt even their metric, so it’s grinding for the lulz.
Agreed 100% with all of these points.

Every week I'm going back and forth between having defensive traits and not having defensive traits. It feels totally ridiculous.

Azerite reforge cost is insane. It's a non-issue when you have 340 gear becuase you are drowning in azerite armor. Once you start getting 370/385 pieces you are suddenly not allowed to respec more than once a week if you want to be optimal. Literally feels exactly like vanilla WoW only being able to respec to pvp on the weekend.

The whole advertised "choice" doesn't exist anyway since the outer ring is literally 1 trait per spec. That is not choice. That is illusion of choice. Armor should have 2 traits, class & zone. If you pick class trait it should change when you respec. There is no sense behind the current layout.

Azerite armor needs to basically be overhauled from the ground up both in terms of armor design AND armor acquisition.
Week 3 of mythic Bonus Chest.... Still no Azerite Armor.... I am still Stuck wearing 340 aze pieces. This feels bad.... I am Item level 363 now and i am caring 3x 340 armor.

How is this supposed to feel good ? How am i not supposed to feel frustrated? Where am i going to be able to target These weak link pieces in my gear?

This is Week 3 in a row i have yet to have any raid loot drop for my self. All my bonus rolls have been used here. What raid loot i do have has been given to me. This just feels bad.
On my alt got a nice 370 piece from the world boss.
Can't select a trait for another 2.5 levels worth of grinding the heart.

Is this supposed to be fun?
09/25/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Johngalt
On my alt got a nice 370 piece from the world boss.
Can't select a trait for another 2.5 levels worth of grinding the heart.

G R A N D S C H E ME
One more thing, blizzard is totally out of control to make players feel good in this game. Especially, some amount matters make a lots of classes performing terrible. For example, 4 of 6 dice buffs are so weak that Outlaw have to reroll. That is totally spam experience. Well, I think the balance team will nerf those two good buff to dust, "look, they are balance right now." That is how they working now.

Sick.
09/25/2018 11:46 AMPosted by Johngalt
I'm more and more convinced that it isn't about fun. It's about metrics.
actually a lot of really good points. i fear that the sensationalist nature of the title, while i actually agree, will just come across as whining by the Dev team and make it unlikely that they take a look.
09/26/2018 06:47 AMPosted by Kryss
actually a lot of really good points. i fear that the sensationalist nature of the title, while i actually agree, will just come across as whining by the Dev team and make it unlikely that they take a look.
Possibly. I tried to consolidate a lot of community points, and most of them are not my own ideas. I'm just hoping the more feedback they get about how terrible the system is, across the board, the faster they realize it's a failed system.

At this point, their constant need to balance/rebalance/hotfix is probably wearing even on the developers, and it would very likely be easier for them to just get rid of it.
All they are going to do is nerf stacking and call it a day.