How are Ret Pallies?

Paladin
I might regret this because it seems every forum has venom towards their class. But, I am curious how Ret's are generally doing. I dont want or need to be a top damage dealer, but I want to feel like I am holding my own out there in damage. Especially in legacy content. My hunter can blaze through anything it seems, and that is as marks (which everyone in the class says sucks right now).

So is it relatively fun to play?
I'm enjoying ret. I leveled a DH and warrior to 120 and both are around 325 ilvl. My retadin is 339. From leveling to 120 to gearing, I have enjoyed it more so than DH or warrior. I can solo everything except 1mil hp elites. I keep up with similarly geared players without issue and I even beat out some people that have a higher ilvl than I do. The rotation has down time but it's not a lot. The down time is not what some people are making it out to be.
It feels a little slow without a good amount of haste, but it's generally predictable, and while it's simple to get into, someone who puts the time and effort to really master it can pull off some good numbers.
The class feels bad imo since our mobility is very limited. (pvp stand point view) Nothing like it was in MoP days
I am smashing things to pieces. We are very strong.
I'm addicted to it. Switched to Ret for BFA and couldnt be happier.
I don't do much organized content, but in pugs I'm usually #1 or #2.

By the numbers I'm doing well, but I don't really have fun doing it.
09/13/2018 03:44 PMPosted by Taironn
I am smashing things to pieces. We are very strong.

That's not entirely true is it, we are in a decent a place, but "very strong" is a bit of an overstatement.

In a raid setting we are more or less good.

In m+ unless you are lightforged, or a blood elf, we need a bit more help.
At this point, to me, it feels about how it did in Legion, which is that I’m happy with it.
It's effective, but very easy to master. I don't see how else I could perfect my rotation, and we're a month in. After perfecting the insanely easy priority system, it becomes a matter of RNG. Did you crit enough? Did you get enough Purpose procs?

Not trying to steer you away, but that's how it feels right now. It's certainly strong in PvP, and in general. Fun to play for a while. For a while... and then you realize how simple the spec really is. There's not much you can do to control your numbers, and the lack of a skill cap, or a skill gap between players, kind of cheapens the spec. I feel like any Ret can do what I'm doing, when I play him.

Kind of makes me wish I hadn't rolled the spec, but we had time during pre-patch to decide. I just didn't know BFA would add basically nothing, and Azerite traits (that are actually good) don't provide additional mechanics for the rotation. Then again, most of the specs right now are very 3-4 button centric.
Maybe I just come from a time in WoW where perfecting a class rotation or priority system felt much more rewarding. My Warlock in Wrath of the Lich King had like 7-9 *main* keybinds as Destruction and Demonology. Affliction took skill too. My Marksman Hunter took a decent amount of "skill" to play as well; switching Aspects for mana, timing shots, etc.

Warriors had to stance dance, albeit not as often. Ret Paladins felt very satisfying to play in Wrath. Fire Mage mechanics were bugged but very interesting. Arcane took a low amount of skill, but you need a COUPLE of specs to be easy. Not every single spec in the game; this is where I felt they went wrong.

To really answer your question OP, I'd say most of the classes feel very similar, and the reason you'll end up quitting a class is because it is too easy. So, I would suggest a class that has 3 damage specs, so you don't get bored. Warlock and Rogue are solid choices, as well as Hunter. Warrior DPS is more fun than Ret, but the lack of solo viability PVP starts to bother me after a while.
BG Gods
09/13/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Sivil
I might regret this because it seems every forum has venom towards their class. But, I am curious how Ret's are generally doing. I dont want or need to be a top damage dealer, but I want to feel like I am holding my own out there in damage. Especially in legacy content. My hunter can blaze through anything it seems, and that is as marks (which everyone in the class says sucks right now).

Ret is the FoTM, check the stats
I'm a pretty credentialed ret. Here's the good and bad.
Good:
Plate
Transmogs look the best
2 handed weapon
Very interactive party play from utility and healing
Bubble
High damage output currently

Bad:
Worst mobilty in game.. Maybe blood dk is less? Lol
Low skill cap for damage rotation.
Mages and Shaman hard counter you like no other and you may break PC parts over it.
I don't get the people who are complaining about lack of buttons/complexity. Between Nitro Boosts, Frostweave Net, Racial stun, Goblin Glider, Healthstone, Third Wind Healing potion and mount - not to mention if you also pick Inquisition, WoG, Eye for an Eye and Wake of Ashes (which you should) - I have 28 active buttons. That's not even counting Kings, Wisdom or Rez.

If you want it to be, Ret is a true piano spec.
09/13/2018 07:15 PMPosted by Loveliveslay
09/13/2018 02:43 PMPosted by Sivil

Ret is the FoTM, check the stats

Check the newest stats. Upper middle of the pack, hardly FotM.
09/14/2018 02:37 AMPosted by Venoma
I don't get the people who are complaining about lack of buttons/complexity. Between Nitro Boosts, Frostweave Net, Racial stun, Goblin Glider, Healthstone, Third Wind Healing potion and mount - not to mention if you also pick Inquisition, WoG, Eye for an Eye and Wake of Ashes (which you should) - I have 28 active buttons. That's not even counting Kings, Wisdom or Rez.

If you want it to be, Ret is a true piano spec.

Oh, and I forgot Blessing of Sanctuary and Hammer of Reckoning PVP talents when doing PVP. When chosen, that brings it up to 30 active keybinds/buttons.

But people choose all passive talents, have no gameplay-impacting professions, pick a race whose racial you can whack in a macro - and then complain that the spec is "slow and boring."
Thank you everyone. I know the class has changed a lot (I remember god mode prot in BC/Wrath). I guess less buttons and a new learning curve.

Thanks everyone! Guess its time to get out there
Been maining Ret since I got into in MoP, right now it's better than it was in legion but our mobility is still low and I don't like the amount of downtime. It's annoying to stand there waiting for something to come off CD.