Why Does Genocide Matter-Now?

Wyrmrest Accord
Prev 1 23 24 25 26 Next
09/23/2018 01:25 AMPosted by Sarestha
09/22/2018 11:36 PMPosted by Enekie
I honestly preferred the original "all will serve me in undeath" Sylvanas to the new, half-bottomed "I have to commit genocide to keep the peace" explanation.

She's never made excuses for her villainy before, which was honestly what made her so refreshing. I'd much prefer Blizzard lean hard into her villainy than us having to endure another muddled mental gymnast routine of reconciling honor and a desire to murder everything.

To be fair, my interpretation of Sylvanas is that she's still actually option A, but she's pretending to be option B so that the Horde don't eat her for breakfast.

Honestly, yes. Before the Storm makes it blatant that her actual motivations and the things she tells other leaders and underlings are incredibly different. The very first chapter includes a mental invitation to watch her scheme about completely eradicating the Alliance for purely selfish reasons. Everything she says is just manipulation to get people to follow her.

It’s why I don’t believe a word of her dialogue ingame, currently. Oh, she lied to Magni, Saurfang, Baine, but she’s telling the player character the unfiltered truth now? Get real.
09/23/2018 08:11 AMPosted by Raseri
Oh, she lied to Magni, Saurfang, Baine, but she’s telling the player character the unfiltered truth now? Get real.

Especially stupid considering that there was a rebellion about...5 years ago.
I'm just here for cool stuff at this point.

As long as we get more Bwonsamdi and Sylvanas doesnt go out like another Garrosh and the Forsaken dont lose their whole identity Im fine.

I really don't care much about what happens along the way anymore.

To be fair, my interpretation of Sylvanas is that she's still actually option A, but she's pretending to be option B so that the Horde don't eat her for breakfast.

In a weird way, this somehow makes it worse? Especially considering that the Horde watched her Blight her own soldiers and raise them as undead servants and then didn't say a word about it.

09/23/2018 05:51 AMPosted by Shadesinger
I'm seriously expecting Blizzard to reveal somehow that Sylvanas is an evil clone and that the real Sylvanas was kidnapped or killed during Legion or something like that. That would be to the ridiculous level that the character is at now. It's either that or she opens a portal to an Alternate Azeroth and forms the Edgelord Alliance or something. Cue World of Warcraft: Warlords of Azeroth.

This would be a completely insulting option that would mean there were no actual consequences or responsibilities taken during the fight and that nothing that actually happened mattered at all.

Which means it's well within the realm of possibility.
09/23/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Enekie
This would be a completely insulting option that would mean there were no actual consequences or responsibilities taken during the fight and that nothing that actually happened mattered at all.

Exactly.

In a weird way, this somehow makes it worse? Especially considering that the Horde watched her [i]Blight her own soldiers and raise them as undead

It's the Horde's New Normal.
Victory for Sylvanas
Victory for Dalaryn
Victory for Darn Asses
09/23/2018 07:53 PMPosted by Wolf
Victory for Dalaryn

You're not spelling it correctly. It's "DALARAN". No idea what a dAlaRYn is.
victory for perfectia
Victory for Bebbit
Victory for Azeroth!
Victory for Air Bud and the Air Buddies at the big game this Saturday to save the community centre from the skeevy real estate speculator who has, for some arbitrary and inscrutable reason, put the fate of a multi-million dollar deal on the back of a children's intramural basketball game.
The very first chapter includes a mental invitation to watch her scheme about completely eradicating the Alliance for purely selfish reasons

what were those reasons?

she lied to Magni,

about mining the Azerite in Silithus? she did stop, and appointed the Tauren to be in charge of helping out.

because alliance wants to believe the worst is how teldrassil burned

Blight her own soldiers and raise them as undead servants

yea but quest text says they were dumbasses who overextended, you even get sent out to give them an antidote and get them out. you don't blame the raid leader if youre standing in the fire
Genocide matters because compared to internment camps its considered to be worse.

And internment camps are why we are supposed to feel sympathy for the Horde. Why we are supposed to feel like Thrall is vindicated and a good person and the Orcs are basically good or at least not completely evil. If genocide isn't bad, than why is an internment camp? After all the in game universe presented Internment as good compared to Genocide when after the 2nd War the Human Kingdoms decided genocide was too evil and instead they should be kept alive to be weened off of their demonic blood lush.

So the ingame universe has decided that Genocide is worse than Internment Camps. If Genocide is not a big deal and we are being too harsh on the Hordes repeated goes at it, than why the heck are we supposed to give a damn about those internment camps like it was some attrocity against all that was good or justifies any Horde action?
09/24/2018 07:31 AMPosted by Lamunadra

There's no way to break down this sentence that isn't wrong in every detail.

yea but quest text says they were dumbasses who overextended, you even get sent out to give them an antidote and get them out.

Yeah, when your troops mess up as a commander you're totally justified in deploying chemical weapons on them and then raising their corpses into undead servitude.

This thing right here that you're doing? Stop. You are not a member of the Horde; your personal ethics are not impacted by anything it does. Unless, of course, you start twisting reality to make it seem like obvious heinous evil is in fact totally justified and actually kinda cool. Let the cartoon evil stay both evil and cartoon, please don't try to rationalize it. That's the red line beyond which this silly game starts to have actual moral implications for actual people.
The very first chapter includes a mental invitation to watch her scheme about completely eradicating the Alliance for purely selfish reasons

what were those reasons?

she lied to Magni,

about mining the Azerite in Silithus? she did stop, and appointed the Tauren to be in charge of helping out.

Blight her own soldiers and raise them as undead servants

yea but quest text says they were dumbasses who overextended, you even get sent out to give them an antidote and get them out. you don't blame the raid leader if youre standing in the fire

She wants new Forsaken. That’s it. Just to boost her own power and put more meat bags between her and the hell awaiting her when she dies. She talks about how she plans to burn Stormwind to the ground, butcher every last man, woman and child, raise them to be her forsaken Thralls.

Get this: she freely admits most of the horde will go along with this just because it’s a chance to, as she put, “bloody their axes.”

As for your other point?

...no?

She didn’t stop. It’s kind of a huge point.

Anduin followed the spirit of Magni’s request, that mining Azerite would only harm Azeroth further(though he seems to have given up by the time BFA rolls around, take that as you will.)

But Sylvanas only did enough to get him to go away and turn around, then went right back to harvesting.

can you 1v1 me in Brood War or WC3, you sound like a free win as an enemy commander
09/24/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Liotuse

can you 1v1 me in Brood War or WC3, you sound like a free win as an enemy commander

It feels like the tactical equivalent of “I’m going to start flailing my arms and walking forward, and if you get punched, it’s your own fault.”