Shield change? PTR

Priest
09/22/2018 06:34 PMPosted by Lillin
Out of interest, as I am away from home and unable to easily research, do we know if we can still apply atonement through PW:S to players with WS, even if there is no absorb?

~Lil

You cannot cast shields on them at all, so no.
Soooo what was the point of removing Plea again? XD
Well if we cannot apply atonement through shields, that will make a big impact on raiding with 2 disc priests without prior organization. I’m imagining the wasted precious seconds attempting to ramp up pre PW:R casts only to be beat to it and it makes me sad.

I’m all for WS stopping additional absorbs for 6 seconds, but disabling our atonement application feels just wrong.

~Lil
Where are you guys seeing these changes? I must be blind because I cannot see them.
In the current state of pvp this will absolutley gut disc priests especially considering the up coming focused will nerfs
For PvE, just let me keep the option to waste mana.

For PvP, RIP priest.
09/22/2018 08:19 PMPosted by Lillin
Well if we cannot apply atonement through shields, that will make a big impact on raiding with 2 disc priests without prior organization. I’m imagining the wasted precious seconds attempting to ramp up pre PW:R casts only to be beat to it and it makes me sad.

You don't think it will be unique to each priest?
09/23/2018 04:54 AMPosted by Iflayyoface

You don't think it will be unique to each priest?

It wasn’t in WoD.

~Lil
For the love of god don't bring back that clunky-!@# mechanic
Should make the shield actually absorb more than one auto attack then i mean wtf just revert disc priest to pre legion, Actually revert all classes to pre legion and fire who ever designed them
09/23/2018 06:13 AMPosted by Sàtïvâ
Should make the shield actually absorb more than one auto attack then i mean wtf just revert disc priest to pre legion, Actually revert all classes to pre legion and fire who ever designed them

this
You guys are all panicking way too much about this. The only difference this will actually make in raids is stacking discs will be once again not be the best idea in small to medium raid sizes. How disc actually plays in raids is basically unchanged.

As for shield spam in pvp, if you ever had to revert to no rapture shield spam, you were just losing/dying because shield spam was absolutely terrible healing. It was not going to save you, and it was silly we could do it anyway.
09/23/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Twistinfate
You guys are all panicking way too much about this. The only difference this will actually make in raids is stacking discs will be once again not be the best idea in small to medium raid sizes. How disc actually plays in raids is basically unchanged.

As for shield spam in pvp, if you ever had to revert to no rapture shield spam, you were just losing/dying because shield spam was absolutely terrible healing. It was not going to save you, and it was silly we could do it anyway.
you have obviously never been frantically trying to pillar a sin rogue or god like warrior with nothing but your instant shields clinging to hope.
Any chance for Clarity of Will back then? I really liked that one (and it had a cast time).

I’m all for WS stopping additional absorbs for 6 seconds, but disabling our atonement application feels just wrong.

~Lil

Why?

Atonement lasts 15 seconds. Weakened Soul is 6 seconds. There should never be an instance where someone has Weakened Soul but not Atonement active on them.
09/23/2018 06:52 PMPosted by Tiriél

Why?

Atonement lasts 15 seconds. Weakened Soul is 6 seconds. There should never be an instance where someone has Weakened Soul but not Atonement active on them.

Nope. Back in WoD, other priests' Weakened Soul effect prevented you from applying PW:S yourself to the target. In RBGs or raids that could keep you from applying YOUR Attonement to a target that recently received someone else's PW:S (and, consequently, his/her Attone). Basically, it'd mean someone can only get Attonement from a single priest every 6s.
09/23/2018 11:00 PMPosted by Júdas

Nope. Back in WoD, other priests' Weakened Soul effect prevented you from applying PW:S yourself to the target. In RBGs or raids that could keep you from applying YOUR Attonement to a target that recently received someone else's PW:S (and, consequently, his/her Attone). Basically, it'd mean someone can only get Attonement from a single priest every 6s.

This has literally been a problem for at least 8 years. It's not hard to handle it. I've handled it before, as far back as Wrath.

You coordinate. Seriously, you work with your fellow Disc Priest as a team. It's a bit clunky, but totally doable.
This isn't going to be the worst change to disc, but it's going to be really clunky and awkward. Disc had a more robust kit in every other iteration where weakened soul existed. Being in a raid with 2 discs is going to be a train wreck. Usually the first thing you do is get some atonement on tanks. I'm hoping it just prevents the priest that cast the shield from applying PW:S not all priests from doing so.

Also, does anyone know in what universe this change was needed? Spamming PW:S is a great way to run yourself oom without increasing your HP much in PvP scenarios. Rapture bypassing the effect means that rapture+shield spam combo wasn't the target. Disc is really good in PvE but I don't think this will change the healing of a single disc priest, it will just affect raids that have two of them. Have I been asleep and suddenly the meta is: have multiple disc priests in raid? I don't think it will have much of an effect on M+ either. Really, what is this change for?
Nothing about the spec is going to change.

If you're using PW:S on the same target outside of rapture more than once every 6 seconds you're playing wrong anyway.

This change just makes M+ tank healing and pre-shielding much stronger and forces people learning to play the spec to not fall into the noob-trap of spamming PW:S on repeated targets.

It's a good change.