Does anyone actually prefer Pathfinder?

General Discussion
Prev 1 16 17 18 22 Next
09/25/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Hazzulu
09/25/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Presumption
But these cheesy tactics of stalling flight to the second patch just to draw out sub time only ever backfires.

This argument has literally never made sense.

Find me one person who is on the verge of quitting but is sticking around because "I need to unlock flying before I quit".

And if it's always backfiring, why would the company do it? Surely the have business analytics? If their goal is strictly to benefit their metrics, surely they'd change course if pathfinder was hurting those very same metrics?[/quote]

I have unsubbed and only working on pathfinder 1 as much as possible until sub runs out which is like 16 days. I unsubbed 1 week after and right after hitting 120. In legion I waited to purchase and play right before flying came and wish I had done the same here. Once it returns I will come back.
09/25/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Roxxùs
09/25/2018 09:56 AMPosted by Hôtness

I dont raid and hardly pvp so I think those should be scrapped and never come back. Makes sense huh. No because I am not willing to dictate how others want to enjo their game. So I don't want others to tell me no flying.

You are just one person who doesn't like to raid or pvp. There are literally thousands of players who enjoy it.

Also dont forget flying was introduced to reach areas in the game that you couldn't on a ground mount.

Hence why I said it would make no sense to take those out because I dont do them.
09/25/2018 10:04 AMPosted by Warcraze
09/24/2018 11:12 PMPosted by Tødo
Does anyone actually prefer Pathfinder over a flight license at level cap?

Yes, some people like not flying. In fact, a lot of people which is why there have been endless debates. At the end of the day, its a preference thing and Pathfinder is the compromise.

Pathfinder is not the compromise. The compromise already exists in game in the fact that there are mounts that do not fly. Another compromise would be to install a toggle that enabled or disabled flight in a zone or in the entire game and that was character specific so that if you didn't want to fly, but wanted to use one of the flying mounts, you would be able to do so without lifting off every time you hit the jump button.

Pathfinder is not a compromise, it is forcing all to do what only some want to do and could do without forcing all to do so.
I do.
I don't have the gold to buy flying every expansion, and this lets me get it for free just by grinding a tiny bit.

I wonder if people realize that pathfinder is literally just doing a handful of world quests every day. It couldn't be easier for you.
09/25/2018 10:07 AMPosted by Hazzulu

And if it's always backfiring, why would the company do it? Surely the have business analytics? If their goal is strictly to benefit their metrics, surely they'd change course if pathfinder was hurting those very same metrics?

This holds true for a lot of arguments that are made along the same lines.

For those arguments to be valid, one has to simultaneously assume that they have no concerns other than metrics and money, while at the same time being so stupid as to not notice that their decisions are hurting their metrics and causing them to lose money.

The devs and other people who work at Blizzard are not so greedy and stupid as people make them out to be.

If anything, Pathfinder is probably the most challenging scenario for them as designers, since they have to build zones that are engaging from the ground, while also holding up visually once players have flight.

It exists because the devs believe that world content works better without flight while it is current (I agree), but that this is less of an issue once the focus has moved to additional zones later in the expansion.

This allows players to enjoy flight eventually, as a convenience or for the change in perspective, while keeping the experience more grounded in current content.

That's better for the game overall.
I prefer it. It's tailored to the way I play ( as in, getting Loremaster, reputation and exploration is not a huge deviation from how I level up my main) and results in 1) free flying for my alts whenever they introduce it (which always makes leveling alts wayyyy easier) and 2) whatever bonus they decide to add; I didn't care for the mount in WoD, but hey it's an extra mount for the collection. But the order hall mount questlines and mounts were an amazing cherry on top of finishing pathfinder in legion. I doubt they'll top that in BFA, seeing how things are going.
Yes, Pathfinder was an excellent solution to the flying problem.
yes
Love it! Definitely more immersion this way. After I get used it though, perfect time to introduce flying.
I mean I've gotten every pathfinder with very little effort. Its really not that difficult to get the reps for pathfinder or allied races. So no it doesnt bother me at all.
09/25/2018 10:22 AMPosted by Sinney
I do.
I don't have the gold to buy flying every expansion, and this lets me get it for free just by grinding a tiny bit.

Don't be lazy or dumb. Flying in MoP at the last time it was purchased was less than 10,000 gold. You make slightly more than 10,000 gold leveling via quests and vendoring gear and greys. Point of fact, I just did that with a Demon Hunter over the last week or so and hit 110 in Legion with just under 10,000 gold.

What good does it do to have flying unlocked account wide if all your alts are level 120 and 340+ geared months before flying is unlocked? Or are you really leveling ~50 characters?

And if you don't level via questing (meaning PvP or Pet battles) then you really don't need flying anyway.
no it is shameful

just buy flying for a few million gold

nuff said
I do prefer Pathfinder because I'm not an Uber Gold Farming guy. I maintain enough gold for each toon to exist comfortably without having to spend a ridiculous amount, per/toon, to get flying.

That and the fact that Pathfinder is just so easy to achieve and flying just doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I'm happy to utilize it when it's available but I also wouldn't care if it never came back.
I prefer pathfinder.

I get blizzards reasoning behind using that over gold. It makes sense and i can agree with it.

However, I think severe time gating is highly unecessary and frustrates more people than anything. Also, attaching rep grinds to pathfinder is the most nonsensical addition imo.

Rep grinds have nothing to do with the theory behind using pathfinder and therefore have no place in the achievement. It also makes it extremely tedious and time consuming for newer or returning players to unlock flying in WoD and Legion zones.

Add something else instead of rep grinds that actually focuses on content and not just mindless daily tasks in the same areas you’ve explored a hundred times already
09/25/2018 10:34 AMPosted by Chopsurloin
Don't be lazy or dumb. Flying in MoP at the last time it was purchased was less than 10,000 gold. You make slightly more than 10,000 gold leveling via quests and vendoring gear and greys. Point of fact, I just did that with a Demon Hunter over the last week or so and hit 110 in Legion with just under 10,000 gold.

What good does it do to have flying unlocked account wide if all your alts are level 120 and 340+ geared months before flying is unlocked? Or are you really leveling ~50 characters?

And if you don't level via questing (meaning PvP or Pet battles) then you really don't need flying anyway.

Lasy or dumb, am I? Then explain your position for me.

Are you in favor of flying being more easily accessible? Or not? Because it seems the majority of those who dislike pathfinder dislike it because it makes flying less accessible, since you can't just buy it outright with gold. Which would make it less convenient for you. And I have already made a counter-argument against this, suggesting that pathfinder makes flying more accessible because it requires less effort.

So I will ask again, is your main problem the fact that flying is less accessible now than it was before? Because all you have done is tried to turn my own argument against me.

Perhaps you should understand your position a little bit more rather than trying to one-up me because you disagree on this point.
09/25/2018 01:22 AMPosted by Moiradelaluz
09/25/2018 01:09 AMPosted by Germies
My opinion can't be wrong, so I stopped reading here/

Since you stated those first 3 as fact rather than opinion, we certainly can say you were wrong. Even more so because now you're backpeddling because you got called out on it.

I can't tell if you're actually stupid, or you're just trying too hard that it makes you look stupid.

By "first 3" I assume you mean my first three sentences of my original post. I'll copy and paste them here:

"Flying is the worst thing to ever happen to World of Warcraft in its (almost) 14 year history.

Flying kills immersion for convenience.
Flying makes the world small."

All 3 look like opinions to me.

If I say "flying makes the world small", that's an opinion. The actual size of the game world doesn't shrink when flight gets turned on. Or is that what you actually think I meant?

You also want to point out where I supposedly backpedaled? Because I'm pretty sure in my response to you calling my opinion 'wrong' I didn't take back anything I said?
Pathfinder is dumb.
Locking people behind rep' and !@#$... rofl.
I prefer pathfinder because I’m not having to spend 4K on all 18 or so of my toons that are 110+.

I like having gold for things.
09/24/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Zaraela
Yes. I like being grounded in the beginning of the expansion and then getting flying as a reward later on. Unpopular opinion but I like that it slows the game down.

Who on earth ever made you fly before?

You always had the power NOT to fly, Dorothy. If you like it you can keep doing it.

Being precluded from flight until max level was fine. Being precluded from flight for 2/3 of the contents of the entire expansion... sucks on toast.

To answer your query OP, I hate Pathfinder. I would much prefer options: Per character at max level for gold, or to those who love chores and a ridiculous delay before they can use their flying mounts again, Pathfinder.
09/24/2018 11:12 PMPosted by Tødo
Does anyone actually prefer Pathfinder over a flight license at level cap?

Overall, yes. I like having flying for the entire leveling process for all of my alts and don't mind waiting to get flying on my main for it.

And for that matter does anyone prefer having everything time gated behind reps? Does anyone actually enjoy doing the same WQ's over and over to get passed said gates?

"Everything" is a bit hyperbolic. I prefer the types of rep grinds we have now to the ones of old. Killing furbolgs for 20 hours or whatever is not anymore compelling. At least now I get rep for doing the things I would have done anyway.

Do you like having to work to unlock your new races even though you were probably mostly inspired to shill out that $60 for the new xpac to gain access to them only to find.. meh not exactly the case.. gonna have to put in some major chore work first there fella/gal...

I think Dark Iron/Maghar were fine. I had no problem going through the little bit of effort to unlock them. I think the previous Allied Races not being taken off of Legion reps for BFA release was a huge mistake. It is one of the few things I completely understand and agree with the vitriol towards. You shouldn't have to grind previous expansion content for current expansion features. I am also not a huge fan of having to level a character from scratch to get heritage armor. It feels weird to basically level throwaway characters for transmog.

And do you like the idea that when you do finally get to level up one of those new toons, you have absolutely nothing new to look forward to when you get to the end game as you were forced to play it all 50 times over just to get your new race and flying?

You weren't forced to raid, do mythic + or PvP for any of what you described. If all you do is questing, then sure you "did it all". If you actually do the group content, then there is still plenty for you to do.

How do you feel about future Xpacs sticking with this design?

So long as they continue to have the important rep milestones be account bound, then I am fine with most of it. The only issue you brought up I have a problem with is the first round of Allied Races, which absolutely needs to be addressed. So long as the dungeons and raids continue to be good, and they address some of the more important core issues of class design/balance, azerite/tier gear, and general unfinished feeling of this expac.