Does anyone actually prefer Pathfinder?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 22 Next
Flying is the worst thing to ever happen to World of Warcraft in its (almost) 14 year history.

Flying kills immersion for convenience.
Flying makes the world small.

if Blizzard decided to just flip the off switch on flying to every zone in the game, I would be extremely happy.

>inb4 just use a ground mount when pathfinder is released

That doesn't mean everyone else is using ground mounts. They're instead flying 300 yards above me. Very immersive and alive world indeed.

Additionally, PvP is loads better without flying.

So no, I don't like Pathfinder. I don't like Pathfinder because that means in 8.2, flying will be released in KT/Zandalar. I would rather we never be able to fly in those zones.
I actually think the world is more enjoyable without flying, it makes it feel bigger and more immersive. And then latter on you unlock flying, which isn't particularly difficult and you can see the world that you have been enjoying from a new angle.

Although the system isn't perfect, for the life of me I can't understand the logic behind removing flying for the sake of immersion then introducing the flight whistles which are even more immersion breaking.

The point is the system isn't perfect, but I actually think its healthy for the game. But most players are too busy crying over spilled milk to consider that they can still enjoy the world.

However I will concede that some people do get the most immersion from flying above the world and so its less enjoyable for them, but I'm not exactly sure they are a significant portion.
I like it, but I don't like it.

I wish it was something better than a rep grind.

Having it be multiple parts feels unneeded. Just add it when flying can actually be unlocked. I'm gonna grind the rep anyway.

I just think it was implemented in a poor way and hasn't remotely improved since WoD.
09/24/2018 11:32 PMPosted by Kastellan
Why are people so intent on flying right off the bat? I understand if exploration has gotten kinda boring, but wpvp is still fresh, despite sharding issues for large groups and world defense.

Yes, some people would rather not do the wpvp and keep warmode off, but flying literally kills your world. You log in and out by barely seeing anyone.

I sometimes feel like people who want flying from day 1 want to play an MMO without wanting to interact with others, like their own single player wow game.

Oh i dont care about having it right off the bat. Thats not my gripe. My gripe is mainly the rep grinds. The repetitive WQ's to get rep with people I wouldnt have cared to bother with. Im cool with being grounded for a while. But dont force me to do some mundane repetitive grind that I dont want to do.

Im ok with getting loremaster, however I'd much rather be able to have a new zone to quest through on my alts to make it fresh and fun as I level. But pathfinder kind of ruins that.

Also, I quit just after WoD dropped. Didnt know anything about pathfinder before I quit. Coming back to find out I've got 3 xpacs worgh of BS rep to grind just to be able to get flying in those areas is just bull !@#$. I have absolutely no desire to even begin to attempt that. Hell I started to do it for legion, then after getting loremaster(silly me I thought that was the big portion as I was doing it), then found I needed to go grind the hell out if rep with like what 6 different factions? Lol.. yea, no. Why cant I just buy a license now that its no longer current so I can go farm mats and explore old content (which for me is what I enjoy most about this game).
who are all these people grinding reps like it matters at all.
4 WQ's a day and you have path well before it matters.

no flying makes me enjoy the game less because the crap i do to outside of raids and dungeons takes longer. ground mounts make getting from point a to point b a hassle and nothing more.

this is how it goes.

im at the top of the pyramid, i flight path as close as possible to the first world quest, i run in as straight a line as possible to the quest, kill the one "boss" because none of the other quests are worth my time*, whistle to the closest flight path and repeat.

idk if the devs think we are just ambling around on ground mounts seeing the sights or what. i play the game to grind professions, run dungeons and raid. anything that takes me away from that is a hassle and nothing more.

*excluding tortollan quests and champions rep token quests
I actually liked Pathfinder... in WoD, when it was one part and then you got it on every character for all WoD content.

Then they figured out that they were too forgiving with us for stopping them from removing flight entirely, so Legion made it two-parts with more severe timegating, and then made the next patch all in a no-flight area for good measure. BFA will likely be the same way.

If it stayed like WoD's, I'd probably even prefer it over buying flight training, since I just have to do it once and then my entire account gets it. But with Legion and BFA, by the time you get Pathfinding 2 it's mostly irrelevant because current content doesn't allow flying.

But I may be biased because I personally don't truly appreciate new zones until I earn flight. Flying above and getting a good look at a zone feels much more excited than barely paying attention to the details because I'm too busy running through patches of mobs trying not to get dazed.
09/24/2018 11:37 PMPosted by Xathyna
09/24/2018 11:26 PMPosted by Erthan
Yes. I love it. Earn flying on my main and then get it for free for all my alts from the moment they get to the expansion.

Its fantastic and so easy to get just playing the game.

So what you're saying is that you love! rep grinds ..... which isn't playing the game at all, it's more like a job you do each day

09/24/2018 11:26 PMPosted by Vale
Flying should never have been introduced in the first place so no, I don’t mind Pathfinder at all.

For someone that doesn't like flying you sure own a lot of flying mounts

What grind? If you did nothing but emissaries which take 20mins a day you will easily get the reverred required for pathfinder. Just doing something you would do anyways. Your complaint is weak.
Yes. I like it because I have about 10 alts and not having to spend 50k+ for flying on each toon is nice. It might be a lot more than 50k adjusted for inflation. Per toon. Pathfinder 1 you would get from simply playing unless you always wanted to just hover in the sky and do nothing.

What I do not like is waiting nearly a year for Pathfinder 2 to unlock flying.
Do you like having to work to unlock your new races even though you were probably mostly inspired to shill out that $60 for the new xpac to gain access to them only to find.. meh not exactly the case.. gonna have to put in some major chore work first there fella/gal...
Flying has absolutely nothing at all to do with the ridiculous idea of rep for unlocking new races.
After reading through these, there is an easy solution.. leave pathfinder for those that like it. Preferrably remove the rep grinds and part 2.

And also add the option of buying licenses at level cap for those that would rather drop the gold on it.

This way the broke asses and tight asses cam keep their gold. And the lazy or impatient asses like myself can get it like it used to be.

All in favor say "Aye!"
09/24/2018 11:25 PMPosted by Ooga
I don't even think about flying. Don't miss it at all. Don't care if we ever get it.

...except you do have it. Doubletalk much?
I like it. The only problem with it is that Part 2 is released far too late into the game. There's no reason we should wait til March to fly.
09/24/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Tødo
After reading through these, there is an easy solution.. leave pathfinder for those that like it. Preferrably remove the rep grinds and part 2.

And also add the option of buying licenses at level cap for those that would rather drop the gold on it.

This way the broke asses and tight asses cam keep their gold. And the lazy or impatient asses like myself can get it like it used to be.

All in favor say "Aye!"

sure, lets make flying a million gold per character, or earn pathfinder.

that way, you can blow all your money to go hover in the city all day, while we can causally enjoy the game and not be stressed because we cant hover in the city
Yes
The gold you spent on flight is like 1/100(0?) the work of pathfinder.

More importantly, why do i have to do Nerdmaster and grind reps for flight?

You complain about spending gold? Time is money freind. The gold amount was trivial. T-R-I-V-I-A-L. Pandaria had a 120k mount while flight was less than 2-3 k. (and that's a very liberal guess, I think it was much lower.)

So remove the gold thing and just get flight at max lvl? Fine with me.

Honestly having played a recent alt thru Draenor WITH flight/pathfinder... Yeah it makes Draenor a joke that is literally flown through as a leveler. Isn't that exactly what they took away flight for?
09/24/2018 11:29 PMPosted by Berkana
09/24/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Zaraela
Yes. I like being grounded in the beginning of the expansion and then getting flying as a reward later on. Unpopular opinion but I like that it slows the game down.
09/24/2018 11:43 PMPosted by Wollbane
I actually think the world is more enjoyable without flying, it makes it feel bigger and more immersive. And then latter on you unlock flying, which isn't particularly difficult and you can see the world that you have been enjoying from a new angle.
Pretty much same. I enjoy running and seeing everyone running and exploring. That's wonderful, it's fun having to plan your paths and mess around with neat little nooks and crannies and items you find, dodge players or mobs or both, and run alongside other players. You come across others who are doing the same thing as you much more often than you would when you're in the sky. I like that I have a reason to use my ground-only mounts. The fox mount is my favorite mount in the game and I wouldn't use it if we had flying. I would never see it and that really bums me out! It's why I was excited about no flying on Argus after I finally got that mount.
No flying makes Warmode a very good experience, too.

But mostly, I think it's good that people are actually forced to explore the beautiful world that had so much hard work put into it. You can't take for granted the endless hours of work that are put into the quests, mobs, references, artwork, nodes, and creative and visually exciting paths. If people were able to fly over it right away, I, as an artist, would wonder: What was the point of all that when nobody is going to explore it after 3 days of play?

Likewise, eventually earning Pathfinder feels good and being able to fly and get to places quickly feels like a triumph. You worked hard with the people of these isles and had many adventures, and you can say you triumphed it and because of that, you are a master of the zones. You know your way around, you know the people. You can fly!
I prefer flying through pathfinder. Flying from week one would ruin many aspects of the game.

As for time hating behind rep... have you not played this game before? Rep and rewards for rep have always been there.

Time to build a bridge mate
All of your talking points are stale and tired. Like doing WQ on a ground mount for reputations I don't even want.

09/24/2018 11:57 PMPosted by Colanasou
09/24/2018 11:53 PMPosted by Tødo

All in favor say "Aye!"

sure, lets make flying a million gold per character, or earn pathfinder.

that way, you can blow all your money to go hover in the city all day, while we can causally enjoy the game and not be stressed because we cant hover in the city
To be honest, its never been a big deal for me either way I get pathfinder anyway from doing what I'd be doing already and I don't really miss it when levelling or doing wq that much.

It is kinda weird for friends who come back to the game though who don't have it unlocked for previous expacs.
Yes. It forces people to actually engage with the environment and showcases the hard work artists put into building the zones. It also puts more boots on the ground, potentially opening up more player interaction. It also also feeds into a sense of achievement and reward.

People just want everything handed to them. Many people think WoW is a grind because they don't actually appreciate the game for what it really is, instead they just want to min/max and rush to the top. I hope that for the foreseeable future Blizzard continues to implement strategies such as the Pathfinder achievements to keep the game immersive and engaging.
09/24/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Xathyna
No, and flying was never an issue until Blizzard made it one!
/sagenod

09/24/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Kania
they're dragging it out to much. part 2 should be 8.1 not 6 months later.
Don't worry, they might mix things up and give us a pathfinder p3 3 months before the last no-fly zone/patch! HUZZAH! /s