Personal Loot

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 13 Next
We !@#$ing hate it. Being a slave to personal loot RNG has actively discouraged us from doing heroic clears for possible upgrades because mythic + is just more efficient.
09/13/2018 06:26 AMPosted by Starbreeze
I think a lot of people who hate it, hate it because they can't ninja loot anymore.

I think it’s about 50% players that miss controlling loot and or loot ninjas and 50% players like me that get a 355 staff drop in raid with bad stats they’ll never use and they can’t trade it to a guildy because it’s a higher ilevel than what I had equipped.

I wish they allowed us to control what we do with our personal loot.
Couldnt be worse. We had to ban alts from raids because during progression, everyone needs gear. With master looter we could have just said "Sorry Alt guy, you got a piece this week on your rogue. Were giving it to the healer."
09/13/2018 09:57 AMPosted by Ythisens
I get why we moved away from it and I feel like the Personal Loot system works well in dungeons but I think it'll be more interesting once we see the end of a raid tier and we've had a full cycle underneath it. I'm curious to see if it feels like we came out better, equal, or worse when it comes to overall gearing.

I think for casual guilds and pugs personal loot will definitely be better. For strict progression guilds I think it might be a serious step back. But I think that using it as a bandage for the fact that the loot determination mechanism is unable to reasonably produce upgrade gear for people is still an issue. I wish I had a good suggestion on how to fix that.

The best I can think of is that the loot table would be pre-calculated asynchronously the first time you entered the instance for the week for your character. The loot roll is then first for you to get a drop, then randomly on the loot table for that boss already determined to be an upgrade (or if you're beyond titanforging for anything on that table... just a random item for mog). It doesn't guarantee an upgrade, obviously you could get an amazing piece out of mythic plus during that time that could negate that slot in the table. But it at least gives you a reasonable change (RNG providing) to get an upgrade.

The master loot version of that would just be the same thing but dumping it into the master looter.... because who knows...
I'm old school so I personally still prefer Master Looter and Loot Council style handling of loot as I view loot as a tool and not a reward, and for the most part we're still able to do it. So long as the loot is trade-able that is. Which doesn't happen often but feels like a nice bonus when it does as we're able to make a decision on behalf of the team.

I get why we moved away from it and I feel like the Personal Loot system works well in dungeons but I think it'll be more interesting once we see the end of a raid tier and we've had a full cycle underneath it. I'm curious to see if it feels like we came out better, equal, or worse when it comes to overall gearing.

So far at the beginning it feels pretty equal at least from my experience, yours obviously could be very different. For our Heroic MOTHER kill this week she dropped like 5 or 6 Rot-Scour Rings that all were upgrades for us and a situation like that feels really good on Personal Loot. If it was Master Loot we could've potentially gotten say 3 Mother's Twin Gaze's and only used maybe one of them if not they'd all go to offspec on a second week of running the Raid. With Personal Loot that situation isn't a possibility unless you're wanting it to be by people picking those specs that are eligible to receive that item.

This lack of proper grammar usage is astounding from a CM. I find this very troubling from a forum community manager.
I'm old school so I personally still prefer Master Looter and Loot Council style handling of loot as I view loot as a tool and not a reward, and for the most part we're still able to do it. So long as the loot is trade-able that is. Which doesn't happen often but feels like a nice bonus when it does as we're able to make a decision on behalf of the team.

So far at the beginning it feels pretty equal at least from my experience, yours obviously could be very different. For our Heroic MOTHER kill this week she dropped like 5 or 6 Rot-Scour Rings that all were upgrades for us, and a situation like that feels really good on Personal Loot. If it was Master Loot we could've potentially gotten say 3 Mother's Twin Gaze's and only used maybe one of them, if not they'd all go to offspec on a second week of running the Raid. With Personal Loot that situation isn't a possibility, unless you're wanting it to be by people picking those specs that are eligible to receive that item.

Loot is tool, a reward, a milestone, a status symbol and a sense of accomplishment.

And when used by a lousy Master Looter, it can be used as an authoritarian weapon and a punishment.

I'm perfectly fine with RNG, spec-based personal loot and I hope Blizzard never reverts back to the old system.
I hate the PL system but there is 1 key thing that makes the PL system abysmally awful.

That thing is the fact that each weapon type (1H,2H, Shield, Off Hand, Fist Weapons, etc) has its own lock. For example, if I have a 370 Staff and a 355 Off-hand drops, obviously I will not use the off-hand; however, I cannot trade the off-hand unless I have a 355 or greater Off-hand just sitting in my bags. Same with each and every other weapon type.

That is the dumbest thing about PL, and if we are going to be forced with this system then at least make it not make such a ridiculous restriction for trading weapons.
Sucks.

So many items that could be used by someone are going to the wrong person and being scrapped. Not being able to trade because it's a higher item level is stupid. Let us trade, regardless. 5 more item levels is not an upgrade when it's Vers/Mastery and you need to stack Crit/Haste for your spec to work.
My guild had high hopes for FORCED personal loot. But after seeing upgrades go to waste, I can say this system is terrible.

Our tank decided to roll for healing gear to help our healers, trinket dropped lower item level than his items and still couldn't be traded. Now our tank is stuck with something he will never use.
I still think it is dumb. Watched 1 person get 4 pieces of loot last raid, while I got none. I couldn’t be mad at them because they got lucky, but it just feels bad. I think that the system isn’t that bad because we do have Mythic+ and most of my gear is from that, but not everyone can do a bunch of M+ like I have.

I just do not understand the reasoning behind removing the system. It is really only used by Mythic raiders and sometimes heroic guilds. So was blizzard afraid that people who joined a guild raid would get screwed out of loot because the guild could not give the pug any loot. Well with Rng that is going to happen sometimes too even with personal loot. So I don’t really see the difference.
What they should have done is keep Master loot for guild runs only and have personal loot for pugs.
09/13/2018 06:35 AMPosted by Carbolic
09/13/2018 06:07 AMPosted by Wickedsfoe
Raid personal loot, How's it going so far?

Worked great so far. Got 2 pieces, would have received nothing (not one of the guild favorites).

Working as intended.

I don't raid but this makes me happy
I wouldn’t care if we could just trade gear. Really a shame getting things that I can’t use due to stats and not being able to trade to people who it’s their BiS.
it's tough because we had a couple of our guys in our raid get drop after drop and consistently pull 3-5k dps while guys who were pulling 8+ at ~335 -340 IL got nothing

we're not going to invite the lowbies to our raids as they were pushing 345+IL and still pulled low numbers, but at least they won't be able to say "we stole loot from them." as if that was ever a thing

so i guess it helps weed people out since if you get drop after drop and still can't pull higher than the tank dps you shouldn't be raiding

i will say i have noticed that people that actually show initiative and don't just expect a lift and loot usually come into the raids with good gear (guys are pushing 350-360 already) chants, and gems to begin with and are more than happy to trade stat upgrades to better the guild (they offer before we even think of asking) and the people that throw temper tantrums usually die 1 min into the fight
The only thing I like so far is its preventing Method from clearing 8/8 mythic week 1.
Master loot for only mythic raids would be fine. If gear isn't reasonably distributed, the guild wouldn't be very successful especially where retention is a huge problem with raiding.
I'm not complaining.
I've cleared normal twice and gotten to 4/8 on heroic so far. I've gotten a number of pieces and seen a number of pieces that just aren't used. Because ilvl. I can't say I am a fan of personal loot for raids. For M+ and dungeons I think its just fine. I really feel though raids need ML. To avoid wasted loot that people aren't going to use.
8/8 Normal cleared on off night and nothing lol. Prior week 7/8 Normal cleared and nothing. Working as intended

So far at the beginning it feels pretty equal at least from my experience, yours obviously could be very different. For our Heroic MOTHER kill this week she dropped like 5 or 6 Rot-Scour Rings that all were upgrades for us, and a situation like that feels really good on Personal Loot. If it was Master Loot we could've potentially gotten say 3 Mother's Twin Gaze's and only used maybe one of them, if not they'd all go to offspec on a second week of running the Raid. With Personal Loot that situation isn't a possibility, unless you're wanting it to be by people picking those specs that are eligible to receive that item.

@Ythisens

Can you please talk to someone about at least loosening the restrictions on personal loot a bit? In raid this past week a priest got a 1H that he did not need whatsoever as he had a 2h staff of much better ilvl. However, he could not trade the 1H to anyone because it was technically an upgrade.