Chances that Classic will thrive?

Classic Discussion
What do you guys think about this?

It's been conspicuous on how demanding the option of having official Classic servers for Blizz was prior to the announcement. And it still continues to be a hot topic among majority of the players that are passionate about the game. Moreover, we have seen that Classic could be a potential promising change that would make the WoW franchise even more captivating.

The hype itself has elevated following the announcement of Classic servers. Tons of players will be profoundly keen on playing the version of the game that they once loved, or perhaps playing a version of the game that they have always wanted to try. I am going to predict a relatively large influx of players for Classic once it releases, and expect it to be stable with a considerable high amount of players in the long term, as opposed to having it "die out" within the first few months.

The reasons:

1.) Class fantasy will be integrated at its peak (with some mishaps and annoyances)
2.) There will be in-game challenges associated with nearly every feature (questing, dungeons, raids, wPvP)
3.) More character development and management tools- this will prompt players to be more meticulous in terms of interacting with their character (due to a bit more intricate talent tree system and management of class resources)
4.) A more social and supportive WoW community (I have my doubts on this). But this will be one of the major facets that will determine the longevity of Classic once it is out.
There is a big demand for Classic ruleset.

And its more than rose tinted glasses calling for the return of it.
Greater than 0%
I think classic will have a huge initial surge but a relatively small long term population. Thrive is also the wrong word, the point of classic is to simply exist.
My prediction is that there will be a MASSIVE multi-million player count when classic launches, almost all servers will be unplayable for a while due to lag and/or server caps.

Inevitably it will drop over the next weeks/month but it won't drop by as much as people are expecting. Maybe about a 70% drop in players 2 months after it launches, not the 90%+ figure people sometimes say.

People will slowly realise that the game is not nearly as bad as the anti-classic guys on the GD forum would have you believe and that it wasn't at all just blind nostalgia.

Then the player count will slowly rise over the next year or two.

This is coming from a player who never even played retail classic, tried it when Nost was big a few years ago, fell in love with it and has been playing vanilla ever since.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/top/

I think that says it all
09/20/2018 09:05 PMPosted by Ziryus
I think classic will have a huge initial surge but a relatively small long term population. Thrive is also the wrong word, the point of classic is to simply exist.

Hmm, interesting thought on why thrive wouldn't be an appropriate descriptive term.

After the announcement, they have not given any definite information regarding the sole purpose for creating the Classic server, so wouldn't you say it is a reasonably safe conjecture to say that it might just be a platform for potential development in the future? Even though the chances of that happening is slim, it still holds a value of contingency if Blizz deems Classic to be as an opportunity to promote the franchise if it is indeed thriving.
I fully expect it'll have and retain more subs than Current WoW.
250,000 people signed the petition to get legacy servers. I don't know what percentage of the people who have wanted them is accounted for in that figure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were only 10%. Classic. Will. Thrive.
09/20/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Mogar

I'll bet you a thousand dollars it won't, seriously.
As long as it has players, I think the chances of it thriving are about 60%.
09/20/2018 09:56 PMPosted by Galdor
09/20/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Mogar

maybe not immediately. But it can happen. Look at RuneScape. Careful what you bet your money on sonny boy.
09/21/2018 07:12 AMPosted by Fudzilla

maybe not immediately. But it can happen. Look at RuneScape. Careful what you bet your money on sonny boy.

We'll have to see. BFA has too many fanboys and white knights.

https://services.runescape.com/m=news/runescape-classic-farewell?oldschool=1

RuneScape Classic: Farewell

"RuneScape Classic was the first version of RuneScape, released in 2001.

For many years we've left all of the content from the original game available to play. Whilst it's seemingly been happily plodding along since then, it is with great sadness that we have taken the difficult decision to say goodbye to RuneScape Classic"
09/21/2018 07:17 AMPosted by Galdor
... maybe not immediately. But it can happen. Look at RuneScape. Careful what you bet your money on sonny boy.

For many years we've left all of the content from the original game available to play. Whilst it's seemingly been happily plodding along since then, it is with great sadness that we have taken the difficult decision to say goodbye to RuneScape Classic"
runescape 2007 not runescape classic you dimwit
... maybe not immediately. But it can happen. Look at RuneScape. Careful what you bet your money on sonny boy.

Oh well. RuneScape was an elitist's playground anyway.
09/21/2018 07:18 AMPosted by Fudzilla

runescape 2007 not runescape classic you dimwit

Comparing Runescape Classic to WoW Classic is a better comparison than comparing Runescape 2007 to WoW Classic. Unless of course, you want there to be tons of changes like Runescape 2007 has.

https://oldschool.runescape.com/

"Deadman Experience Cap Increase and Quality of Life Changes
Game Updates 20 September 2018 This week's update brings an increase to the experience cap for the Deadman Winter Season. We also see some Quality of Life changes."

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think classic will thrive. It's a decidedly different game from BFA, and so it'll have appeal to demographics that the modern game left behind long ago. Likewise it may not appeal to the demographic the modern live game seems to largely cater to. I don't think it'll compete much with BFA, let alone be "the BFA killer" some people hope it to be.

But I think it'll be successful, and thrive. At the very least it'll stand on its own two feet as its own niche game with its own niche market, as many other successful games already do.
More like minority with big ego YouTubers that rant about it for nostalgia and wishing to play old games, not really gonna bring big impact to wow in general other then giving vanilla fanboys and former wow fans actuall servers, not hacked servers and stop !@#$%ing to why retail wow sucks...
Classic will blow up and then stay up.

People keep saying that it will die off.

Nope its going to explode people will level and have fun then more people will join in on the fun once they see how big it as become.

Soon Blizzard will have to make more servers.

Big guilds will down bosses only increasing the advertisement of the game.

This will intern promote more people to join by seeing it on streams.

the only time you will see a drop in players is when Retail has a patch or expansion but then after content is on farm people will come back to classic or they will go back to classic when they are done with the weekly WQ grind.

The real grind is wow
The real community is classic