PvE Unholy/DK is Awesome!

Death Knight
09/13/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Mageno
When will people on these forums understand that your own anecdotes mean absolutely nothing to class balance? If you're topping meters as Unholy, it doesn't mean the class is amazing, it means you're in a noob guild playing with bad players. Any spec can top the meters with bad players. Logs show Unholy is middle of the pack at best on all fights, and gets trashed by Frost DK on every single fight including AoE.

PS- You're 2/8 heroic and your logs are bad, so telling people to l2p and "get a good DK" is maybe not the smartest thing to be doing.

Then adds his own anecdote as if it does mean something, from a lvl 100 mage no less. Wow.
10/10 Troll job. Man you really got these guys riled up Lynx! They just can’t help themselves. All I see is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I’m re-rolling DH for my guild’s raid.

This class is broken (bad) for DPS right now.

Also, I’m sick of feeling like I’m made of paper while questing. It’s nonsense.
09/12/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Mêphiston
No, you're right.

Against casters we dive in but against a lot of melee we can get all our pets and rot up then kite them. Build runic for when they get close to spam deathstrike then use mobility to run from them and repeat.

It works it's just not very DK of us.

Its actually exactly wc2 dk of us, which was one of the biggest peeves I had about death knights being reintroduced. I loved melting armies and towns with old school dnd... Meh. This works. My win rate in arenas is piss poor. I go melee too much and have more success with kiting.
OP love your Xmog!
09/13/2018 01:50 PMPosted by Corvusrath
I’m re-rolling DH for my guild’s raid.

This class is broken (bad) for DPS right now.

Also, I’m sick of feeling like I’m made of paper while questing. It’s nonsense.

I haven’t had any issues leveling or questing and I have killed a many 1v1 wpvp.
09/13/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Kronicka
10/10 Troll job. Man you really got these guys riled up Lynx! They just can’t help themselves. All I see is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Only other dolts with no excuse for their stupidity excuse another's stupidity with "xD TROLLING!"
While I agree DKs are not in an amazing state (excluding blood, ofc), the class fantasy is still there somehow and it's awesome - visually, at least. I've been playing my dk alt and it's fun to summon skeletons and zombies all over the place. It's a unique flavor. The only thing that concerns me is their survivability, but DK is a slow class anyways (talking PvE here)

In the end of the day, all that matters is your own and personal fun, dude. It's a game, not a job. If you are enjoying your class and not hindering your group activity, that's everything you should worry about. Don't listen to hateful, bitter people.

I can give you an opposite example: My warrior. I LOVE fury. It's fun, it's crazy, aggressive and fast. Fits the warrior fantasy perfectly.... But, right now, arms is way better for group content. Arms is slow af, you only feel good when you can use Execute or Bladestorm. I just gave up. Is it good? Yeah. But it's not fun for me... I'd rather play the less effective fury warrior. I can still use about the same cooldowns to help my group. I'm not a mythic raider anyways.

Good luck and HAVE FUN! :)
And remember: everytime someone sees a DK, they can remember the very best time of WoW, the WotLK days... so that a plus! At least for me.
My biggest issue with DKs as a whole is how little haste actually affects our abilities. I'm 348 but I spend so much time just auto attacking instead of doing anything else. 15% haste. Also, maybe it's just my luck, but Runic Corruption only procs once every 20 death coils. Auto attacking as both UH and Frost makes up 30% of my total damage to bosses. Fight starts, use cds, leave computer and make a sandwich, come back and maybe I have enough runes for Festering Strike
I'm glad you're enjoying the class. I am too!
I think a big problem with unholy is a lack of positive feedback while playing. Statistically it's actually doing fine, ranking well between the 75th to 90th percentile. It only falls off at extremely high percentiles, coincidentally where Frost is parsing very strong. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19/#sample=7&dataset=90&aggregate=amount

For me, the problem is that it doesn't feel impactful. Part of it might be just lame sound effects, but certainly most of it is that major cooldowns don't really give you anything tangible to gauge their effectiveness. AotD, Apocalypse and Dark Transformation don't have any major effect on how you play, and their strength is only visible in the back end by looking at damage meters. It's not like Serenity/Ascendance/Avenging Wrath/Bladestorm/BoS etc. that have very clear effects. Elemental for example is actually (demonstrably) bad in PVE, but it's really clear how Ascendance or Stormkeeper are interacting with the encounter and how you're benefitting from using them correctly. Even if they're lesser cooldowns for a weaker spec, they have positive feedback while AotD has none.

I like Unholy, especially in M+ where epidemic and dnd+clawing shadows feel really strong, but I can't get jazzed about playing it in raids. I'd rather play something a little more lively with more dynamic cooldowns.

PVP is a total wreck, almost for DKs in general. Way too squishy for what you get.
09/14/2018 01:53 AMPosted by Rustle
I think a big problem with unholy is a lack of positive feedback while playing. Statistically it's actually doing fine, ranking well between the 75th to 90th percentile. It only falls off at extremely high percentiles, coincidentally where Frost is parsing very strong. https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/19/#sample=7&dataset=90&aggregate=amount

For me, the problem is that it doesn't feel impactful. Part of it might be just lame sound effects, but certainly most of it is that major cooldowns don't really give you anything tangible to gauge their effectiveness. AotD, Apocalypse and Dark Transformation don't have any major effect on how you play, and their strength is only visible in the back end by looking at damage meters. It's not like Serenity/Ascendance/Avenging Wrath/Bladestorm/BoS etc. that have very clear effects. Elemental for example is actually (demonstrably) bad in PVE, but it's really clear how Ascendance or Stormkeeper are interacting with the encounter and how you're benefitting from using them correctly. Even if they're lesser cooldowns for a weaker spec, they have positive feedback while AotD has none.

I like Unholy, especially in M+ where epidemic and dnd+clawing shadows feel really strong, but I can't get jazzed about playing it in raids. I'd rather play something a little more lively with more dynamic cooldowns.

PVP is a total wreck, almost for DKs in general. Way too squishy for what you get.

A lot of that feeling also has to do with the fact that massive portions of our damage are just from pet damage and autoattacks. They could remove every ability that we have, and we would still do comparable DPS with just Army, Ghoul, and a 2hand weapon.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx?mode=detailed&zone=19#boss=2141&difficulty=4

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx#difficulty=3

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx#difficulty=3&spec=Unholy

Why is it that every one of these threads is started by some trashcan that doesn't realize that parses can be checked?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DhgRFCypPALHa96n#fight=7&type=damage-done

You aren't even close to top dps, and your best dps'ers are parsing blue. Move along with your lies OP. Glad you're having fun with the spec; that's a far cry from making the totally false claims you are about performance.

Mic Drop indeed. Clown.
09/14/2018 01:53 AMPosted by Rustle

I feel like Blood suffers from the same issue, maybe even worse. You swing a big sword to rip apart an enemy and it sounds like you're cutting something with a knife.

And damn... what have they done to Death and Decay? It had an awesome sound effect lol It felt like you were summoning a pool of burning acid and now it feels like you are justing painting the floor with some red stuff.
Being centered around an 8 min CD for lust mid fight isn't fun.
Auto attacks being our top damage isn't fun.
Frost fever ticking for 3x the dmg of VP isn't fun.
Some talent tiers being within .2% dps while others are + or - 7% dps isn't fun.
Having 0 mobility/defensives while also doing 0 damage in pvp isn't fun.
Having our best azerite traits be generic traits isn't fun.

What is awesome about UH? We get to use 2handers and have a pet.
09/14/2018 10:09 AMPosted by Raziael
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx?mode=detailed&zone=19#boss=2141&difficulty=4

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx#difficulty=3

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/burning-legion/lynx#difficulty=3&spec=Unholy

Why is it that every one of these threads is started by some trashcan that doesn't realize that parses can be checked?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/DhgRFCypPALHa96n#fight=7&type=damage-done

You aren't even close to top dps, and your best dps'ers are parsing blue. Move along with your lies OP. Glad you're having fun with the spec; that's a far cry from making the totally false claims you are about performance.

Mic Drop indeed. Clown.

You clearly didn't read what I said in OP. Either way I was 4th on that log and thats... pretty accurate to the OP on a Single target. I said I was top dmg on Trash pulls.... Info in OP was accurate you just don't like the people I was playing with I guess. I feel honored you take the time to look me up on a post of why I think DK is a cool class and people playing it, really. Is it customary to return a log post on someone? Like a who's chart is bigger 1v1, come at me bro? I'm new to actually posting on forums so I don't understand the dance. Some of you people might like the new dating app for singles looking for Math teachers in their area.

01000011 01101111 01101110 01100110 01110101 01100011 01101001 01110101 01110011 00100000 01110011 01100001 01111001 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01101101 01110101 01110011 01110100 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01100100 01110010 01101111 01110000 00100000 01101101 01101001 01100011 00100000 01110101 01101110 01101100 01100101 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01100100 01110010 01101111 01110000 01110011 00100000 01100001 00100000 01010111 01101001 01101110 01110011 01110100 01101111 01101110 00100000 01000011 01101000 01110101 01110010 01100011 01101000 01101001 01101100 01101100 00101110 00100000
09/14/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Lynx
I'm new to actually posting on forums so I don't understand the dance.

Well clearly you should stop. You're using anecdotal evidence to say that UH is not only fine, but in a good spot, despite the fact that it barely parses higher than a Holy Priest. Just because you're a degenerate who gets a kick off of this, doesn't mean you need to potentially warp Blizzard's already misguided view on DKs even more.
09/14/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Socksies
I'm new to actually posting on forums so I don't understand the dance.

Well clearly you should stop. You're using anecdotal evidence to say that UH is not only fine, but in a good spot, despite the fact that it barely parses higher than a Holy Priest. Just because you're a degenerate who gets a kick off of this, doesn't mean you need to potentially warp Blizzard's already misguided view on DKs even more.

O God this Dev-llusion again... You posting my thread to the top of the forums is all you should be worried about with that paranoia, instead of replying to one person's one thought on a class. I seem to remember Affliction/demo lock was the same way on those sims in legion and came in with great damage for a good time, while still being bashed this same way. Either way I hope people stop relying on Patchwerk sims to tell you if you should play a class or not. My OP was to convince people to actually play DK and tell you what I liked about it. You have the option to not click this thread...or did you need a sim to make that choice?
Info in OP was accurate you just don't like the people I was playing with I guess.

I don't know them to like/dislike.

This isn't a counter point, your fishing for sympathy or attempting to rationalize your inaccuracies.

I feel honored you take the time to look me up on a post of why I think DK is a cool class

It takes less than 20s to look someone up. You know me looking you up had nothing to do with your opinion about fun factor either. More stick handling.

2/10, because this troll was so easy to take apart.