The most important thing Ion said on reddit's AMA

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 12 Next
09/14/2018 10:07 PMPosted by Wigglebutt
09/14/2018 09:53 PMPosted by Metrohaha

Because that's how this game works. There are free updates every 77 days and things are changed almost every day in the first month.

This is the point where you lost all credibility, and its no longer worth discussing with you. They are not free updates, we are paying 15 dollars a month for them.

He's never had any. He comes into every thread to take bat for Blizzard no matter how insane or wrong he is and/or sounds. Just move past him and ignore it, you'll get nowhere arguing with a wall.
09/14/2018 09:20 PMPosted by Metrohaha
Its a no-win situation you are putting yourself in, because if you were willing to see the next two years out these situations would never be an issue.

I'm having a really hard time believing you're saying what you've said here. I keep thinking I must be misreading you.
yeah it dose kinda suck. I mean im always in the camp that id wait 10 years for a great game to be released, like the new halo take all the time in the world to get it right and make it 10/10, but I also get blizz didn't want us to have a year and a half of antorus and mage tower; at the same time I do sort of feel like takeing a break till more warfronts come out and more content is released, shadow priest is fixed, warrior tank gets ignore pain and/or demo shout of the GCD, and in general its just a finilized expansion with everything fixed cause as is the story is awesome but I feel like im not playing the best version of bfa, and I just wish the game would "be here" already you know, like there's a part of me that feels like were still in prepatch/lul period before raid.

all that said I can see warfronts being amazing cause im already loving them even if my team dosent finish them in .025-4 min, there just super fun for me and everytime I play them I do something different cause they're is enough variety in them that its like do I wanna go solo a spot with my pet and feign death cheese, or go mine and build everything for the team, get a kodo war drummer to ride or build a bunch of shammans and upgrade troops to fight the alliance, and being able to whenever I want go "I wanna do this" and not have it be on a timer because there are 3 overlapping is gonna be awesome same goes for the open world part of it and having more of the story to do kul tirans to unlock stuff like that is gonna be fun.

I still have PvP sexy fun times and rated BGs to keep me having fun and the holidays and leveling maghars is probably why im not gonna take a break till fallout 76 comes out and even then I might have to jugle; lets just all say a prayer for 8.1 and the other content coming in the future that im sure we'll hear more about at blizzcon, just sucks we gotta wait for the expansion to be in full swing.

personally I think this expansion is gonna be the exact opposite of WoD in that the beginning is disipointing but then it gets amazing, where as we all know WoD was amazing as hell in the beginning then disipointing later on.

I hope blizzard never dose this again with expansions in the future and they delay there game if they have to (and realize better when they have to) cause honestly I was having fun getting mage tower skins up until literally the servers shut down for pre patch update haha
Did Ion get fired yet?
09/14/2018 10:36 PMPosted by Rickrolling
0 dungeons are bugged,

Yeah, tell that to the Mythic+ in Waycrest Manor that totally doesn't have leeches that can go through floors and pull things from the basement, or pass through the locked doors into rooms that players can't access directly and pulls the entire dungeon!

Wait.
09/14/2018 09:06 PMPosted by Wigglebutt
Except I am not playing down the road, I am playing right now

This seems to be the root of all the problems. No one ever wants to think about the next 2 years.
Nearly every hot topic here is something that is smoothed, or even solved, with time.
But people just keep saying "I am playing right now."

That's true, but are you planning on quitting before next month?
No matter how you answer that you should realize the problem.

People constantly threaten or claim they quit, meaning their feedback will never be realized.
Or people constantly complain about the present when the future is the fix.

Its a no-win situation you are putting yourself in, because if you were willing to see the next two years out these situations would never be an issue.

I suppose that's probably the biggest disconnect between my self and some of you guys here.
I know I'll be playing for many years to come, so worrying about reps, or 340 gear, or bugs, or whatever else has absolutely no impact on me.
Its 5 weeks into the expansion and I'm 371 item level.

What the heck is the next 5 MONTHS going to look like!?
he is just meaning that the future isn't here yet and he hopes blizzard starts thinking in the now when it comes to releasing products and such; well at least im assumeing he of course understands they need to think about both, but they clearly seemed to drop the ball on the present to pick it up in the future, which they didn't do with legion or WoD because legion was sexy and WoD dropped the ball in the future because they didn't think about it as much as they should have
09/14/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Actaeix
09/14/2018 11:18 PMPosted by Secure
Metrohaha did it! He solved everything!

Since everything will be fixed down the line, there's literally no such thing as problems! Never let anything bother you! Think long-term! Wow!

Acknowledgment of a problem is the first step towards fixing it, what exactly did you want him to say?

Except he didn't. Every single answer was a deflection or a pivot. Even the ones where he said things were 'wrong' it was 'some are overtuned and some are undertuned' which completely ignores that the core system is a burning tire fire. The idea of getting upgrades in gear (ilvl, stats) but not being able to use them because you haven't re-unlocked their traits is bad at best and malicious at worst.

People asked questions on how he planned to address things like Island Expeditions being extremely repetitive, so he answered with what could be paraphrased as "Yeah it's not perfect but some people like it, so deal with it." and then two more paragraphs with 'why' they made it that way. It's like that for almost every question. People wanted answers, and instead he pivoted to give paragraphs of design philosophy.

Show me where he acknowledged there was a problem and said they would fix it in a way that wasn't just tweaking numbers up or down.
09/15/2018 12:32 AMPosted by Hnetu
09/14/2018 11:22 PMPosted by Actaeix
Acknowledgment of a problem is the first step towards fixing it, what exactly did you want him to say?

Except he didn't. Every single answer was a deflection or a pivot. Even the ones where he said things were 'wrong' it was 'some are overtuned and some are undertuned' which completely ignores that the core system is a burning tire fire. The idea of getting upgrades in gear (ilvl, stats) but not being able to use them because you haven't re-unlocked their traits is bad at best and malicious at worst.

People asked questions on how he planned to address things like Island Expeditions being extremely repetitive, so he answered with what could be paraphrased as "Yeah it's not perfect but some people like it, so deal with it." and then two more paragraphs with 'why' they made it that way. It's like that for almost every question. People wanted answers, and instead he pivoted to give paragraphs of design philosophy.

Show me where he acknowledged there was a problem and said they would fix it in a way that wasn't just tweaking numbers up or down.

Tweaking numbers are a fix though, for some things at least, its just not the fix you want.

Acknowledging there is a large imbalance in Azerite Traits and tweaking the numbers to bring over performing traits down and under performing traits up will go a long way towards fixing the Azerite gear problem, since you know upgrades not being clear cut is an issue that is brought up time and time again.
Except I am not playing down the road, I am playing right now

That's true, but are you planning on quitting before next month?
No matter how you answer that you should realize the problem.

People constantly threaten or claim they quit, meaning their feedback will never be realized.
Or people constantly complain about the present when the future is the fix.

I never threatened to quit but I did "claim" I quit (aka unsub) because I merely canceled the 3month sub. I have another 5 weeks to try it out.

Note: I feel it is worth stating that I did cancel my sub and was not asked for any feedback for why I canceled my subscription, not even in an automated feedback option (this has happened in the last 3 xpacs I canceled sub on, but that was generally 5+ months out from launch).

I would have gladly offered reasons, not that I "quit" but simply don't feel compelled to renew at this juncture.
09/14/2018 09:53 PMPosted by Metrohaha
09/14/2018 09:44 PMPosted by Pensoh
People are paying for RIGHT NOW. This isn't a free beta. The whole "suck it up and wait until it is fixed" attitudes by pretty much every green text is stale. The notion that by quitting you are part of the problem is insulting.

Why should people pay for a glorified beta for months until it is fixed? You say people need to stay subbed so they can give feedback and see that feedback implemented.

Because that's how this game works. There are free updates every 77 days and things are changed almost every day in the first month.

What's the point of even doing activities in the game if you are going to just end up leaving in a month?

Its all backwards. If you aren't willing to consider the future might hold then you don't really understand wow's development.
Every single expansion has underwent major content renovations and hundreds of changes to basic systems.

Everything about what you are doing right now in the game will be different in the months to come. Many of the things wouldn't even require a patch to be different.
This is wrong. The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich Kings both expanded on the original systems vanilla had in place. Remember talent trees? They added to those. Remember trainable skills? They added to those. How about base rotations and resource functions for a majority of specs? Expanded upon. Those are a several reasons why both of those expansions in particular were extremely successful compared to now. (WotLK having the highest active sub count).

Considering how the "future" lead to the pruning of classes/specs/talent systems, a lengthy and time gated grind to flying, all reputations becoming mandatory rather than grind the ones you needed etc.. People are considering the future more than fine, they're just expressing how awful it's turned out to be, through alphas, betas, and even right now on the GD forums.

While my reply may not seem totally related to BFA, it's certainly not Blizzard's first time in this position, which is why people are frustrated when it happens again, again, and again.
09/15/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Actaeix
09/15/2018 12:32 AMPosted by Hnetu

Tweaking numbers are a fix though, for some things at least, its just not the fix you want.

Acknowledging there is a large imbalance in Azerite Traits and tweaking the numbers to bring over performing traits down and under performing traits up will go a long way towards fixing the Azerite gear problem, since you know upgrades not being clear cut is an issue that is brought up time and time again.

None of those change how we play though, as the traits are mostly passives with a few procs here and there. It only fixes which ones the player fishes for, whether its chest piece A or chest piece B. There's still nothing interactive that we're doing different. It's akin to seeing the house on fire and suggesting we just change the paint. Sure it looks a lot nicer but it doesn't fix the underlying problem; which is the HoA levels and how new gear often sits in your inventory because its more important to keep the old piece equipped given it already has traits unlocked. The problem remains, it just looks nicer.

Even then that ignores all the questions where he pivoted to something else to ignore actually giving a real answer. Most egregiously when he said he 'didn't understand the question' when it was asked why so many different types of gameplay all end up feeling the same when you're actually doing them. Like, how does someone in his position not understand that sort of question? So he just ignored it.
09/15/2018 12:57 AMPosted by Hnetu
09/15/2018 12:43 AMPosted by Actaeix

None of those change how we play though, as the traits are mostly passives with a few procs here and there. It only fixes which ones the player fishes for, whether its chest piece A or chest piece B. There's still nothing interactive that we're doing different. It's akin to seeing the house on fire and suggesting we just change the paint. Sure it looks a lot nicer but it doesn't fix the underlying problem; which is the HoA levels and how new gear often sits in your inventory because its more important to keep the old piece equipped given it already has traits unlocked. The problem remains, it just looks nicer.

All of this was acknowledged, did you even read the answers? Here is the one specifically for Azerite traits. https://old.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/9fv4tk/im_world_of_warcraft_game_director_ion/e5zkpvw/?context=10000
This seems to be the root of all the problems. No one ever wants to think about the next 2 years.
Nearly every hot topic here is something that is smoothed, or even solved, with time.

Because people are paying for right now, not some maybe content that's being released 12-18 months from now you dunce. How can you read something and miss the point of it so entirely? You actually sound like an addict that's oblivious to how hooked you are.
09/14/2018 09:09 PMPosted by Annaillusion
I really don't understand what you want here.

Then you're daft. We want a complete game. Almost every problem present in BfA right now is a result of Blizzard summarily ignoring mountains of alpha and beta feedback...as they pretty much always do. Its sad, really. Ignore feedback, end up fixing problems anyway, spend the next expansion announcement at Blizzcon going over everything you "learned"...only to repeat the cycle yet again.

...and to the poster above me...please don'r respond seriously to Metrohaha in the year two thousand and eighteen.
no new big feature to highlight like garrisons

*PTSD intensifies*
didn't no mans sky eventually get finished
09/14/2018 09:16 PMPosted by Arlec
What are you expecting? An instant change?

Blizzard expects instant money, so...

Or do I get the option to pay later? Pretty sure they charged me up front.
Well there we have it. We recieved a No Man's Sky. We should just accept the plague of problems because they are going to be fixed down the road.

No, we didn't.

No Man Sky released with 3/4 of the content that they promised completely missing.

The Blizzard equivalent of No Man Sky is WoD, because it too released with large chunks of promised content completely missing. Only unlike WoD, No Man Sky actually improved and got a lot of the promised content added in various patches.
09/15/2018 01:04 AMPosted by Hexadecimal

Because people are paying for right now, not some maybe content that's being released 12-18 months from now you dunce. How can you read something and miss the point of it so entirely? You actually sound like an addict that's oblivious to how hooked you are.

Definitely sounds like an addict making excuses for themselves.

Also on their response: The simple fact is people aren't having fun, and it isn't always about what gear they're getting or what's not working. My time is more valuable than my money is, and I imagine it's the same case for most adults. I'm not going to whine about it, or threaten to quit: I'm just going to do it. I'm going to go play some platformers, maybe check out other MMO patches or play some racing games.

I don't know what I'll be in the mood for but the simple fact is that if I'm not enjoying it now, then I'm not going to convince myself to play. If I eat something I clearly don't like or am too full to eat, I'm not going to go make myself gag over it.

A lot of the folks on these forums are passionate but a lot of them are the same, they're not bloody chained to this game. I myself am bored, can't sleep and responding late in the night before probably going for a morning run. Doesn't mean I can't give my quick two cents on "Hey maybe I can go enjoy other things instead".

It's reasonable to think in the future of what to do with a game, but that's not our problem. The customer doesn't need to pay the company those sacrifices, it's up to them to figure it out on top of making a product worth enjoying the time on.
09/14/2018 09:31 PMPosted by Wigglebutt
I enjoyed leveling to 120, so theres that. The music and zones were great.

But I didnt pay 75 dollars for just music and zones. Thats the part that you white-knights dont understand.

Your item level is 325, you have no arena content done, and you've done absolutely no raiding or M+.

..there's content, but you can't say there isn't just because you aren't doing it.