ELI5 "Earn X Exalted Reputations" account wide?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 10 Next
09/18/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Omegall

the problem with that, is it also means using alts gets you to exalted faster than not using them

I think systems like one in mists make more sense, where rep gain on alts will be 100% faster after you unlock reward on main to enable said bonus. But honestly I think it should be 200% and instead of being unlocked at revered, unlocked at exalted, cause in mists it didn't make much sense that getting exalted took LESS rep than getting revered because you unlocked the 100% bonus BEFORE you even finished main.

I don't see that as a problem at all. The game reward players for trying a more varied experience than simply grinding the same content nonstop. There are other areas in the game where we are rewarded for engaging in a varied experience (for example, we get a weekly reward for Island Expeditions, Warfront weekly quests, weekly conquest cap, etc.) such that after you've completed the weekly cycle, you get diminishing returns for continuing to grind out that same content. You can do your daily emissary quest and get the max reward for time played, or continue grinding past the emissary for a reduced reward for repeating the same content.

What I'm saying is apply that same reward system to reputations. Grinding the same rep across multiple characters simply isn't fun except for the most OCD completionists.
Will this work for achievements like Justicar/Conqueror too?
09/18/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Ythisens
09/18/2018 01:40 PMPosted by Farora
Any word on how it will treat faction exclusive reps?

They will uniquely act as a singular rep to avoid double credit, similar with how mounts are tracked.

So if you have exalted 7th Legion on your Alliance character, and exalted with Honorbound on your Horde. Then your account only has credit for 1 of those 2 reps in the achievement tracker. Account wise they're the same rep.

Do you have any info on how Reps that you have to pick 1 of two will count? like oracles/frenzyheart and scryers/aldor? if I have 2 characters 1 with each does it count as 2 or do only 1 of the reps count.
09/18/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Nearo

It's a start, but the reason I'd like account-wide rep is to give players the option of being able to continue progression on a rep by working on an alt in lieu of just grinding rep on their main for the sake of grinding rep. Leveling an alt and benefiting from the rep gains passively is more engaging and rewarding than grinding rep for it's own sake.

For people who play for character progression, there wouldn't be a game if they made rep account wide.

Leveling an alt and benefiting from rep gains passively would be more engaging how ? I don't even see how this is possible. How is account wide rep going to make leveling a character more engaging ? You just have one less reward to obtain from any content you do - it is the opposite of engaging from my viewpoint.
So basically if you had a main that you worked really hard gaining reps for and have, for example,” the beloved” title, it won’t mean much because just about everyone else will have it now
09/18/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Nearo

What I'm saying is apply that same reward system to reputations. Grinding the same rep across multiple characters simply isn't fun except for the most OCD completionists.

I see so it is only the people with mental disorders that can like different types of activities in this game than you do. You have no need for rep on all your characters, so just don't do it if you don't find it fun. They have just about taken all the rewards for earning that rep on multiple characters out already, why do you insist on totally eliminating this now .

What else is there, that you think you need to have those bars filled up ?
09/18/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Thunderçatz

Exactly. If they allowed you to progress on the same reputation with your alts then reps would be gained far too quickly.

In addition, if this were the case then rep rewards would likely be lowered to compensate. Instead of getting 75 Rep a World Quest we might get 20. It would also hurt people who did not have alts at all which would be awful for someone like me who likely won't have an alt for a majority of the expansion.

I would be against rep requirements being raised to compensate as well. There's no harm to other game systems for reputations being gained quickly. Most of the items available through rep vendors are cosmetic, and the ones that aren't don't affect end-game in any significant way because the item level on them isn't a big deal for a main character who'd probably already be running M+.

The item level is, however, significant for an alt, and can be helpful as a catch-up mechanism for those of us who do have alts and who aren't myopically focused on a single character because of the ridiculous pressures of high-end mythic raiding (as I imagine would be the case for you).
Thank you..
09/18/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Amine

For people who play for character progression, there wouldn't be a game if they made rep account wide.

Leveling an alt and benefiting from rep gains passively would be more engaging how ? I don't even see how this is possible. How is account wide rep going to make leveling a character more engaging ? You just have one less reward to obtain from any content you do - it is the opposite of engaging from my viewpoint.

If we applied the logic you're espousing to every other aspect of the game, then you wouldn't have account-wide transmog, mounts, toys or achievements. Maybe you're against those as well - I know some people are.

There are many aspects to character progression - reputation is by far one of the least interesting which is why there are widespread calls to change how it's done.

Playing an alt and trying out different specs and all the different changes to a class introduced in an expansion is infinitely more engaging than farming reputation tokens. Your entire playstyle changes from one class to another. That's how it's more engaging.
09/18/2018 01:52 PMPosted by Worgon
09/18/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Ythisens
They will uniquely act as a singular rep to avoid double credit, similar with how mounts are tracked.

So if you have exalted 7th Legion on your Alliance character, and exalted with Honorbound on your Horde. Then your account only has credit for 1 of those 2 reps in the achievement tracker. Account wise they're the same rep.

Do you have any info on how Reps that you have to pick 1 of two will count? like oracles/frenzyheart and scryers/aldor? if I have 2 characters 1 with each does it count as 2 or do only 1 of the reps count.

To add on to this, since my main did Oracles then Frenzyheart, it's showing in my rep window both exalted. Will this change make that go away?
09/18/2018 01:41 PMPosted by Nearo
It's a start, but the reason I'd like account-wide rep is to give players the option of being able to continue progression on a rep by working on an alt in lieu of just grinding rep on their main for the sake of grinding rep. Leveling an alt and benefiting from the rep gains passively is more engaging and rewarding than grinding rep for it's own sake.

The reason you give for wanting it is the exact reason why it will never, ever happen. People with 5-10 alts will slap the same emissary WQ and be exalted with a new faction in a day.
09/18/2018 01:27 PMPosted by Ythisens
Rep gain won't be account wide, however progress towards the achievement will.

Weren't reputation meta-achievements supposed to go account-wide two expansions ago?
Basically it will work like mount and pet collections.
This is an amazing change! I'll be renewing my sub now.
09/18/2018 01:51 PMPosted by Nearo
09/18/2018 01:44 PMPosted by Omegall

the problem with that, is it also means using alts gets you to exalted faster than not using them

I think systems like one in mists make more sense, where rep gain on alts will be 100% faster after you unlock reward on main to enable said bonus. But honestly I think it should be 200% and instead of being unlocked at revered, unlocked at exalted, cause in mists it didn't make much sense that getting exalted took LESS rep than getting revered because you unlocked the 100% bonus BEFORE you even finished main.

I don't see that as a problem at all. The game reward players for trying a more varied experience than simply grinding the same content nonstop. There are other areas in the game where we are rewarded for engaging in a varied experience (for example, we get a weekly reward for Island Expeditions, Warfront weekly quests, weekly conquest cap, etc.) such that after you've completed the weekly cycle, you get diminishing returns for continuing to grind out that same content. You can do your daily emissary quest and get the max reward for time played, or continue grinding past the emissary for a reduced reward for repeating the same content.

But that would give people with alts a HUGE advantage in maxing reps.
09/18/2018 02:18 PMPosted by Tarc

The reason you give for wanting it is the exact reason why it will never, ever happen. People with 5-10 alts will slap the same emissary WQ and be exalted with a new faction in a day.

WQs arent available until you're level 120. By the time they finish leveling their 2nd character, they'd be close to Exalted... thus eliminating the need to do something ridiculous like farming emissary missions solely for the rep. I'd rather we have more worthwhile rewards on emissary missions like Seals, the rewards in BFA for doing emissary quests are pitiful compared to Legion.
09/18/2018 02:07 PMPosted by Nearo
09/18/2018 01:57 PMPosted by Amine

If we applied the logic you're espousing to every other aspect of the game, then you wouldn't have account-wide transmog, mounts, toys or achievements. Maybe you're against those as well - I know some people are.

There are many aspects to character progression - reputation is by far one of the least interesting which is why there are widespread calls to change how it's done.

Playing an alt and trying out different specs and all the different changes to a class introduced in an expansion is infinitely more engaging than farming reputation tokens. Your entire playstyle changes from one class to another. That's how it's more engaging.

Yes, i am against account wide mounts, etc. It gives people less things to do in this game.

And why do you need rep to try out another character - hint you don't. I had 20 max levels characters coming into legion and I could play them just fine if they didn't have exalted reps.
As usual the developers miss the mark. As an altoholic this doesnt help me a single bit. So what I can get an achievement for reps I earn all over or that the transmog gear is unlocked.

I am interested in the perks the reps give and unlock. You know the only reason to really grind them to begin with.

Almost every single expac in the past had some sort of rep boost from tabards to purchasable items.

To make matters worse they are all different so as you play thru the game you have to figure out each expac. Imagine a new player coming to the game and trying to sort that out. Good Luck.

Why not just use one of those systems instead of trying to enforce some overly complicated thing that really doesnt address the issue?
09/18/2018 02:27 PMPosted by Akston

But that would give people with alts a HUGE advantage in maxing reps.

And leveling those alts takes time out of them progressing their main - so while they're being rewarded in one aspect, it's at the expense of another area of progression. There's nothing wrong with rewarding someone for taking the time to level an alt instead of just being focused myopically on their main for the sake of min/max for raiding.
Over the years I've had a -lot- of different characters do a lot of different things. I've always been a bit indecisive about what I like playing in the minute.

As a result, I have played 4 or 5 different priests (for example) at end game level on different servers, with various reputations at exalted.

For me, the system seems like it may be super confusing, or at least, I will have absolutely no way of tracking which reputations have been reached exalted with other characters.

Will there be any way to track this? Or will it just have to remain a guessing game?